Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • New Royal Portrait – opinions?
  • RustySpanner

New photo of Liz & Phil by Thomas Struth:

Good article here.

Not a Royalist by any means, but I reckon it’s a superb photo, one of the best portrayals of the pair I’ve ever seen:
    Struth has done an amazing job of humanising the pair of ’em.

What do you reckon?

Junkyard
    Free Member

They look old and posh to me..if that is humanising then they have achieved it.

PS how high do we reckon phils socks go?

MSP

They look old and posh, sitting in an uncomfortable chair, surrounded by gaudy opulence.

Is that a set or one of the palaces? It reminds me of some interview Donald Trump gave a few years ago in his NY penthouse, that was equally as tacky and showy, I thought at the time “these yanks don’t get it” but it actually looks like they are just equally as crass as European wealth.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Junkyard…ageist and inverted snobberist in one post? 😉

RustySpanner

I think it’s technically superb – the angle of he chair, the open door, the lighting, the way the colours work.

Must just be me then 😀

tthew

Can’t see it myself, just looks like a snap anyone could have taken of some old birds in their front parlor, though that may be exactly your point about

humanising the pair of ’em.

Bloody awful interior designer too, and who keeps plates in the beer fridge? (on the far left)

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Nice photo. Looks great. It also makes them look rather tiny. Perhaps that was the aim.

grum
    Free Member

Why is it all so green?

Junkyard
    Free Member

that is just your envy Grum 😉

RustySpanner

The original in yesterdays papes was more evenly balanced, but every upload I’ve seen has a greenish tinge to it.

donsimon
    Free Member

James Holloway, director of the Scottish National Portrait Gallery, said: ”I have no doubt that Thomas Struth’s impressive and tender portrait of Her Majesty the Queen and His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh will be seen as one of the definitive images of the Royal Family.

Emperor’s new clothes anyone?

but every upload I’ve seen has a greenish tinge to it.

Is that because the mint clad Queen and Phil are sitting in the Green Room?

project
    Free Member

Is there any real need for a lamp behind them with so many lamp shades and bulbs, cost a fortune to turn on, and remember we pay the bills.

They just look like an old couple sharing the same house and not talking to each other much.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Looks like a pic of my mum & dad, but that house looks like it’s full of old stuff my mum would have chucked by now – could have got a comfy sofa from DFS for £300 in real cow’s behind!

RustySpanner

Is that because the mint clad Queen and Phil are sitting in the Green Room?

Just checked the net version against the print version – the net version has a greenish tinge to it.

emsz
    Free Member

what am i supposed to have an opinion about?

their life is so far away from mine, I can’t really figure out where to start. 🙄

RustySpanner

emsz – Member

what am i supposed to have an opinion about?

their life is so far away from mine, I can’t really figure out where to start.

Yes, I know, but do you think it’s a good photo? 🙂

emsz
    Free Member

It’s two old people sitting in a room.

RustySpanner

Fair enough! 😀

zimbo
    Free Member

I agree, artistically it’s a cracking photo.

zimbo
    Free Member

Struth has done an amazing job of humanising the pair of ’em

It’s two old people sitting in a room.

Those two sentences mean exactly the same thing…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why isn’t she wearing a crown ?

It’s political correctness gone mad ffs.

jon1973
    Free Member

They look like they’ve just had a row.

leffeboy

It’s fab. She looks as if she is just about to get up and offer you a cup of tea

Kevevs
    Free Member

I really don’t care. Am I supposed to? It’s nicely greeny/yellowy/goldy and well composed I suppose. But then it should be a “good” photograph. probably cost a few quid! It doesn’t mean anything to me.

RustySpanner

Not really. 🙂

As I said, I’m not a Royalist myself, I just think it’s a brilliant photo – technically excellent and a wonderful representation of the old dears.

athgray
    Free Member

You could just about shoe horn Charles inbetween them. Would be nicer if Phil had his arm along the back of the sofa or giving Liz a cuddle. Having said that, judging by the cushion behind Phil it looks like he is settling in for the long haul. Perhaps the LOTR Trilogy is coming on the tele.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

PS how high do we reckon phils socks go?

My money’s on womens tights high.

bencooper
    Free Member

Not all that impressed – the composition isn’t brilliant, could have been better framing more to the left. And why is he out of focus?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Because he is always in the background and never the focal point 😛

bencooper
    Free Member

Please tell me you’re kidding and it’s not really that pretentious 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘New Royal Portrait – opinions?’ is closed to new replies.