Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New router for the interwebz
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Need a new wireless router for my parents

Must be reliable

Currently have a piece of crap netgear orange gave them to replace the livebox they had that quit working after about 7 or 8 years of faithful service

Orange deny any fault with the router ive changed settings and had it working for a couple of days before it goes pete tong , swapped it out with my router from my house and it worked fine and this netgear thing was a bag of crap in my house and given my nearest neighbour is about a mile away its not a leach using the network as i innitially thought it might be at my parents

Fed up with orange customer service and this router so what can i buy thats half descent and wont need resetting every day or two

2 wireless pcs an iphone and a printer attached if it makes any difference.

Cheers

Gordy
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with Netgear usually. You can get unlucky once with any manufacturer.

Just buy whatever “good name” router you can find in a sale.

bruneep

my netgear has been faultless for years, only issue I had was with BT and the crap exchanged. They blamed my router, after buying another and still having the same issues the fault was found at the exchange.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye ok . The internet was spot on for the 6 or 7 years i was here , i moved out orange upgraded our router to this netgear thing – no end of problems . I plug in my bt supplied router and all is good for the next 3 weeks

Ill go a shopping then

Sandwich

Never had good experiences with Netgear consumer kit, the pro-stuff works well mind. Linksys, Cisco are my preferred home brand.
    Does the Orange router support modem use only? If so buy a wireless access point (assuming only one wireless connection is required) and plug it into the ethernet socket on the Netgear.

Cougar

My experience of Netgear is they’re utterly pish out of the box and bomb-proof once you’ve got the latest firmware on them.

Hard to diagnose further as all you’ve given us to go on is “it’s crap,” but it sounds like you’ve got a faulty router; why don’t you bounce it back to Orange?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its crap meaning that it over a period of time ranging from 10 mins to a couple of days it slows down to the speed of dial up

Switch it off and switch it back on and it goes ok again for a bit repeat ad nauseum

Cant be bothered fighting with their customerservice its shocking – if it was my connection id be changing supplier they are that bad !

Cougar

Wired and wireless?

Cant be bothered fighting with their customerservice its shocking

Not easy when it’s not your connection, I know. I’d be giving ’em a bollocking, myself.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New router for the interwebz’ is closed to new replies.