Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New Rock Shox forks – No Oil!
  • cyclelife
    Free Member

Just checked the oil levels in my Sektors that were shipped with my 456 650b – there wasn’t any!
    So, yet again fork manufacturers fail with even the basics, now had it with Fox and RS.

I now do a check before any new fork is ridden in earnest!

robfury
    Free Member

Buy forks from loco adjusted to you and fully checked

singlesteed
    Free Member

RS fookin suck ass oil!

From new there’s bound to be something wrong with them according to someone on PB , it’s common that new RS leak oil which I experienced 3 times with new RS forks even if it was a fair few yrs ago.

That’s piss poor iao!!

Northwind

Not likely at all that they’re leaking, reasonably likely that they were under-oiled from new though.

(having said that, some rockshox now spec very low oil levels- 5ml in the lowers once splashed around and coating the insides etc can leave basically none sat “liquid” in the bottom, easily mistaken for being empty. Seems iffy to me but they probably know what they’re doing?

deviant
    Free Member

I have a set of Sektors from On-One and they’ve been great, 2 years so far, they are the coil spring version and have had one service from TFtuned, i’d happily have another set….also have some Revelations from CRC that are air sprung and they’re great too, the amount of forks RS shift there are bound to be some failures just as some cars are lemons from new, some iPhones malfunction from new etc etc…

singlesteed
    Free Member

True but not making that mistake again.

They have truly lost a customer.
    But their loss is x fusion’s gain which is a result in my books.

robhughes
    Free Member

That reminds me.I really should check my pikes.
    Thanks for the reminder. 😀

cyclelife
    Free Member

That reminds me.I really should check my pikes.
    Thanks for the reminder.

That was the idea really – just a reminder to everyone.

5-8mm is not a lot of oil as stated above but there was no where near enough in there.

robhughes
    Free Member

My other forks are brimming with TF goodness so the pikes will be checked and topped up tonight.After a conversation with Si at loco you can put more that 5ml in the damper side though.

deviant
    Free Member

Another tip I was told once was to sometimes store your bike (or at least the forks) upside down so the oil actually gets everywhere as the stanchions can suffer oil starvation if the bike/forks are always right way up…don’t know if this is true, maybe Loco, TF etc can shed some light on this or am I spreading cycling old wives tales?!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Service tip is to turn the forks upside down from time to time to coat the foam ring, if your fork has foam rings.

I’d say, does it look like the internals have a decent layer of oil on them, rather than there being a pool of oil at the bottom? Are they working fine at the moment? If so, leave it alone, it’s probably fine. Just first service it at the interval they say (which will be no time at all) with the amount of oil in the tech manual.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve only ever had one set of RS forks from new that had adequate volumes of oil in them. Mostly there’s not enough to even soak the foam rings. It makes one wonder how much wear starts from new…

dannyh
    Free Member

Two month old set of 120mm rebas serviced last weekend. As stated, nowhere near 5ml of oil came out of each lower leg. Foam rings as dry as a nun’s. Could have been that the oil was working its magic elsewhere, but it doubt it. Very little fork grease left on the seals as well. Good job I had a look, really. The tit who built them at SRAM also folded both foam rings over on installing the lowers, so I guess it might have been a Friday afternoon build.

With only 5ml in each lower, I think I will be servicing these three times a year. However the service is pretty easy (when you can get the lowers to release), so not too much of a drama. My frame is straight steerer, so I need to get a good few years out of these forks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New Rock Shox forks – No Oil!’ is closed to new replies.