Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • New roadies – miserable, joyless ***** or have I missed something?
  • crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

(mostly in languages I don’t speak)

which reminds me, we’ve ridden in Belgium a few times and if you wave they look at you like you’re bonkers and completely blank you. Get acknowledged in France, Italy and Spain though.

aP
    Free Member

I went on a ride organised by former pro and not-the-fat-brother Frank Schleck yesterday.

Buggered off after BikeBeanz though, didn’t he?

kerley
    Free Member

I never wave or nod to other cyclists.
    I also don’t wave or nod to other pedestrians when I am walking down the street.
    I also don’t wave or nod to other car drivers when driving in my car.
    etc, etc,.

onandon
    Free Member

Get acknowledged in France, Italy and Spain though.

Yep, here in Switzerland, nearly everyone will acknowledge you or say hi.
    Even the serious assassins on their 10k plus bikes will give you the nod and sometimes stop or slowdown for a chat about your bike, route etc.

Nice friendly bunch. What the hell happened to the English.

chakaping
    Free Member

I never wave or nod to other cyclists.
    I also don’t wave or nod to other pedestrians when I am walking down the street.
    I also don’t wave or nod to other car drivers when driving in my car.
    etc, etc,.

Badass alert!

funkmasterp

ass alert!

Fixed 😉

kerley
    Free Member

Badass alert!

You couldn’t have missed the point more. Why do you feel I should wave because I see another person on a bike?

Not everyone acts, or wishes to act in the same way – people are different…

smiththemainman
    Free Member

One hour experiment on the road bike just conducted, saw 12 others 10 on road bikes 2 on MTBs 10 returned my nod or hand flick one roadie and one MTBer didn`t.
    Location South Cumbria.

sirromj

I feel all special when a roadie waves at me on my MTB.

FuzzyWuzzy

The only thing worse than a roadie that doesn’t acknowledge you is a roadie that gets upset when they don’t get acknowledged…

Sure 95% of the time I’ll give an acknowledgement gesture as I pass another roadie but I couldn’t care less if they don’t reciprocate. Other times I’ve been in a world of my own and only just registered another roadie has waved at me as we’ve passed so I haven’t had chance to wave back, not because I’m a rude a**hole but because my focus might be on other things than waving at everyone that passes.

atlaz
    Free Member

Buggered off after BikeBeanz though, didn’t he?

Different ride. This one was from his home town here in Luxembourg 🙂

we’ve ridden in Belgium a few times and if you wave they look at you like you’re bonkers and completely blank you. Get acknowledged in France, Italy and Spain though.

Can’t say I’ve experienced that. Usually they’re pretty friendly; I’ve even had them buy me a beer and witter on at me in Flemish at the end of a ride.

theprancinghorse
    Free Member

I find it can depend on your ability, i always nod, or raise 2 fingers off the hoods. My hit rate riding on my own or with someone of equal ability is 90%. If i’m riding with a friend getting into cycling, looks the part but not very fast, then i often get blanked. Definitely a ‘you’re not cool enough’ vibe a lot of the time.

You can guarantee anyone over the age of 60 will give you a cheer and a loud and exuberant ‘lovely weather today’ and if i’m honest it is hard to reply with that much gusto if your lungs are nearly falling out.

teamslug
    Free Member

” Every time I see an adult on a bicycle I no longer despair for the future of the human race ” H G Wells.

Wave to everyone and just be friendly?.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

It’s likely that they could be on a 600km audax and you’re seeing them at ten in the morning after they’ve cycled all through the night.

mcnultycop

6 months?

beej

I like a man who takes time to think before replying.

fasthaggis

All hail the thread Resurrection.

Waves at everyone,even BMXers 😛

dazh

Just spent an hour riding round Watopia. Not a single miserable sod waved, and they were all on roadies.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Lol…well I’ve been waving to most people as a little experiment I set myself this year…I would say I get a 60% wave rate back….and I wear Rapha…lol

But I refuse to wave to London Dynamos….because they’re tossers..ha haha

epicyclo

iamtheresurrection – Member
    …Just been out on the road bike for the first time since the summer of 2015…
    I must had nodded, smiled, said hello or raised a few fingers off the hoods towards at least 30 riders – not a single one acknowledged it. Not one.

It’s the discomfort that makes them grumpy, their arses are screaming. The poor souls bought a bike intended for really fit fast athletes with lightning reactions, and they don’t wave because they’re scared to take one hand off the bars or the bike will dart into the undergrowth.

Keep being nice to them, they’ll eventually wise up and buy a hybrid. 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

So much twattery on one thread. Sad times.

It’s likely that they could be on a 600km audax

You need to look up the definition of “likely”.

Bez

I like to wave at people six months after I pass them.

ferrals
    Free Member

I follow my 10 month’s old approach and wave at everything.. even cutlery, no, especially cutlery. The cutery rarely waves back which is a bit cruel but I guess they don’t have great eyes. This morning the trees waved back which was nice, quite often they ignore me too.

john_l
    Free Member

where’s the effin’ “LIKE” button?!

epicyclo

john_l – Member

It appears 6 months after the posting… 🙂

fasthaggis

If there is nobody to wave at I talk to the wildlife .
    ” Hello Moo Cows”

ferrals
    Free Member

” Hello Moo Cows”

For me that’s not a joke, ride on common land a lot covered in cows and wild horses, shouting out “Hello Mr Horse” and “Hello Mr Cow” as you approach means they aren’t startled when you go past. I live in fear of enraged cows.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You’ve never ridden a road bike of any description have you?

Bez

I’ll tell you in May.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@ferrals I just like talking to the animals. Moo cows, sheepies, horses, magumpieums, all of them.

epicyclo

ghostlymachine – Member
    You’ve never ridden a road bike of any description have you?

They’re designed for people who don’t like cycling.

Their entire purpose is to be as quick as possible and get to the end of the journey so you don’t have to spend too much time on the bike. They make them uncomfortable to encourage you to want off the bike asap.

Me, I like cycling. I ride a bike that takes a bit longer so I get to enjoy cycling for longer.

Oh shit, you think I’m serious? 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

Just spent an hour riding round Watopia. Not a single miserable sod waved, and they were all on roadies.

You know you can wave though? And stick out your elbow. No f***er takes a pull either 😆

Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘New roadies – miserable, joyless ***** or have I missed something?’ is closed to new replies.