Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New road helmet advice please
  • eddie1
    Free Member

Think I Need a new helmet as my old Met is getting on a bit but
    Is age a reason to change ? Does the material get less protective as it gets older ?
    And if I change what to ?
    Helmets vary in price – what’s a good un and what should I be looking to pay ?

Cheers

Atrial

aP
    Free Member

Yes
    Yes
    Dunno, what’s your fancy?
    Most of them are pretty good, different manufacturers suit different people, you may prefer a particular style or design, you will also need to decide how much money you want to spend.
    I tend towards the Specialized helmets (Prevail etc), but also have a Kask C50. Different style, fit, price.

eddie1
    Free Member

Giro pro lite looks good but £100 for a helmet ?
    Must have fallen asleep and woke up in inflation land

cynic-al
    Free Member

mfrs say they age, I am not convinced.

all meet the same standards, more £ = more style & vents.

akira

Specialized propero II, seventy squid and very similair to there top end model.

akira

‘their’ damnit!

joat

I agree with akira, with both the helmet and the spelling.

eddie1
    Free Member

Of course it’s in manufacturers interests to say that they need replacing after certain time
    But Then again construction workers helmets have to be changed regularly

sambob
    Free Member

Giro helmets from On-one are 40% off, good if you have a Giro head.

TiRed

Went from a met to a giro prolight. If it fits, it is a fantastic helmet. The met was tested to destruction. Just bought another for son1. But the prolight is a step up and should I kill it, I’ll be getting another.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Giro here – just fits my head. Bit like Arai for motorbiking.

Having said that, I recently tried on a mate’s Trek helmet and it was really really comfy. Can’t imaging they cost a fortune, just guessing.

simondbarnes

Fit is by far the most important thing. Go to a shop. Try some on. Buy which one fits best. Been using a Kask Mojito for a few weeks now, really impressed with it. The fit system is excellent.

mrmo
    Free Member

helmets are supposed to age, what you can’t argue is the abuse , the knocks and bangs from handling, just little bits of damage that add up over the months and years.

oldgit
    Free Member

You need to try them. It was a Giro Atmos that saved my bacon. Though whilst I was at the bike show I tried just about every ones and went for a Kask in the end
    If you have hair! it’s handy to have one that adjusts on the fly as your hair gets soaked with sweat and the helmet gets looser.
    IIRC my Giro needed to be pushed in either side.
    Look at useage
    weight, vents.
    build standards what are they ANSI SNEL?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

mfrs say they age, I am not convinced.

Plastics etc. do deteriorate with time, exposure to the sun or whatever and since that’s what helmets are made from it makes sense to me that they will deteriorate too. To what degree though- who knows? And as cynic-al suggests it’s obviously in the manufacturers interests to make us err on the side of caution.

A while ago Met said theirs were good for 8 years IIRC- assuming no damage. I’d think most people on here would change them more frequently than that anyway…?

FuzzyWuzzy

LAS Victory Supreme/Ultimate or a Kask Mojito would get my vote, assuming the shape suits…

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

CRC have some Giros half price. I have the blue one, it’s great.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New road helmet advice please’ is closed to new replies.