Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • New road bike, what would you do?
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

Depends on how much you actually get out in the winter. If it’s not that much then IMO a ‘winter bike’ is pretty much moot. In your position I’d get something nice-sh with dics that can take mudguards and leave it at that!

mboy
    Free Member

I’d go for the lightweight/sexy summer bike. Even if you don’t use it as much as the ‘winter’ bike it will be such a joy to ride when you do. I assume it’s the same logic for people who buy sports cars, convertibles etc.

It’s exactly the same logic… The problem is, you’re then applying that logic to Human Beings!

For example, I have a Whyte Dorset as a winter bike and it’s done about 650 miles in the last 18 months since I’ve had it. In the same time my carbon summer bike has done about 3500 miles!

FWIW, I sold my 3 series the other week, and bought a Z4 as a replacement at the same time as getting a company van on finance… I keep finding excuses to leave the van at home and take the Z4 out for a spin (it is a 3L in my defence, M Sport pack, heated leather etc… 😛 )

Put it this way, anything designed to be comfortable and practical is a lot less likely to put a smile on your face than something sportier and more focused…

andyjh

If I by the sexy light bike I’ll still have the Roubaix to take guards and use when conditions are not so nice but I still want to get out so the new bike is not a do it all option. I’m in a very fortunate position of having some disposable income, having some bikes I’ve bought over a period of time plus the C2W voucher in hand that my LBS will allow me to top up on. They have a Boardman Elite frame that got ordered and cancelled so are willing to take a hit on it. So although it’s not the best brand name I believe the Elite range are actually quite good.

Just been in there and asked them to spec it up using Ultegr Di2 groupset and S-Works finishing kit but no wheel set as for now I’ll use my Campag Zonda’s until I can afford something better. This way the bike is well spec’ed and I can easily change wheels later. Will see what they come back with.

TiRed

You are asking about a mondeo or a ferrari for a second car.

No question, get the lightest, fastest road bike you can find in budget. Then go and ride it in the rain – they don’t dissolve and they will stop (especially with alloy rims).

Sensible can wait…

mrsfry
    Free Member

Just get the one that makes you ‘Tingle’ inside.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Whilst I’m sure the Boardman will be a fine frame, are you buying it because its a bargain or because it fits you properly? It might just be me but the build sounds a bit bitsy, not what I’d be looking for if I was spending 2-3k.

Merak

Im of the opinion as I get older, going to be 40 this year, that an all rounder is the way to go. I have the choice of a lightweight ‘summer’ bike Im ashamed to say its covered less than 50 miles. Id rather use my ‘winter’ bike more often than not. It seen service on the Western Isles, Skye, Jura, Norn Ireland, Mull, Galloway,…..

Living in the West of Scotland kind of makes your mind up for you. Indeed, now Id rather use my fixed wheel winter bike than any of them, it cost a fraction of the other two but its simplicity and comfort if not its light weight (I believe its made from scaffold poles) make it an easy choice.

So I say hand built fixed wheel with discs a 68′ gear, its the magic number and you’re good to go.

andyjh

Bike will be setup during a bike fit so I’m confident it will fit well. Yes it is a good deal which has made it tempting plus I get to finish it with my choice of components rather than what the manufacturer has decided.

As for the bitsy build, I thought Di2 was a good match for a high end bike, S-Works finishing kit is high quality and a nice matt carbon which suits the frame finish but could chose the Pro Vibe also. These two are stocked by the shop so makes it easier during fit to change to suit.

Agreed the wheels are not up to scratch but for now I can run with these so I can spend more on the rest and hopefully get a set of Hunt carbon’s when they come back in stock 🙂

velosam
    Free Member

Out of curiosity is a lighter bike that much more fun to ride than something heavier ? I have a similar dilemma without the budget or C2W scheme but wonder about getting something less sensible – no Dynamo or discs but need guards!

wilburt
    Free Member

Out of curiosity is a lighter bike that much more fun to ride than something heavier

Yes, you get out more of what you put in.

eshershore
    Free Member

@velosam

A good quality light weight race bike is a joy to ride if you like to go quick

However, some very light bikes can be a little too flexible if you ride aggressively or are heavier. You can often find this in very light wheelsets which can feel squirrelly when pushed hard or when climbing steep hills.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’d go for lightweight rim braked bike in your position. You won’t see much advantage from discs if it’s just getting ridden in nice weather and if you’re anything like me then road rides in poor weather are pretty much reserved for the commute.

velosam
    Free Member

Cheers something more to add to the want list!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I’d get discs just to not have to worry about when my rims will fail!

MrSmith
    Free Member

So I say hand built fixed wheel with discs a 68′ gear, its the magic number and you’re good to go.

nowhere fast.
    (And yes I have a fixed road bike and done plenty of hilly road rides on it. A nice road bike on a summer Sunday is a real joy. I wouldn’t limit myself to a low geared fixed road bike (I preferred 72gi so I could at least keep up on a club run most of the time))

hoke
    Free Member

Carbon is an ideal material for a wet/all weather bike.
    Crud racer guards will fit most nice bikes. weigh practically nothing, look better than most guards and most importantly keep most of the road spray off the steel moving parts and finish of your precious aluminium (anodized) parts.
    A hose at the front door and a soft brush and it’s a 2minute job washing down a roadbike after a ride even in the most horrendous weather.
    Discs are heavy and pointless on a recreational roadbike. It’s really not difficult to choose routes where you rarely have to brake at all.

wilburt
    Free Member

I’d get discs just to not have to worry about when my rims will fail!

You should get a job with the Daily Mail.

Kryton57

£3k and a dilemma like this? Simples… One of each…

Spend your £1k C2W voucher on something like a Whyte Dorset which is a fantastic winter bike and a lot cheaper than speccing up your own Kinesis 4S, then drop the £2k on a nice carbon bike with rim brakes…

The one will satisfy the commuting and winter requirements nicely, the other will put a big smile on your face when the sun is shining!

Far more sensible than spending £3k on one bike in the hope that it will do it all IMO.

For gods sake, this is he second time in as many days my current scenario has been described, negating my everlastingly desire for N+1.

I have a Giant defy 3 which was £600 when I bought it, then when the drivetrain wore out I upgraded to 105. It’s got defy specific guards and is essentially the winter bike. I also have a Bianchi Sempre Ultegra, not a super bike as such but a nice carbon bike I bought from Wiggle. I’ve only upgraded the wheels so far – £175 for some sale kysirium elites – and I have some £600 carbon deep sections the way for TT’s.

So there you go, a winter bike, a carbon summer/sportive / TT bike in budget as mboy suggests.

HOWEVER – I might want to buy a proper TT bike next year, and as such rep,ve one of the others. As Hoke above says people are suggesting to use my carbon bike with guards and sell the Defy but I’m struggling to get my head around that.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘New road bike, what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.