• This topic has 28 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • New road bike help
  • qtip

I’m in the market for a new road bike. I’m currently riding a 2011 Specialized Allez 16 (the billy basic model that I bought for ~£400). It has been a great intro to road riding, but is on its last legs. I intend to keep using it for my commute but I plan to do a fair bit of road riding next year and am on the lookout for something better. The problem is, I know very little about road bikes and what would suit me for intended use.

I’ve signed up for the Wiggle Dragon Ride Gran Fondo (230 km) next year, so I’m looking for something suitable for that kind of long-distance ride (I intend to do other similar length rides, I’m not intending to buy a bike for one ride), and 50+ mile rides will be a regular occurrence. I’m not planning on racing, but I like to push myself and wouldn’t want to sacrifice too much speed for comfort.

At the moment, I’m looking at Specialized bikes (I like my current one and I like the aesthetics). If I get something below a grand then I could get it on bike to work, but I’m wondering if I should consider spending a bit more given that I intend to put a lot of miles in. The options I’m pondering are these:

1. A higher spec Allez – could possibly get it on bike to work, but not really that much of an upgrade and aluminium frame possibly a bit harsh for lots of long-distance rides. Having said that I’ve done 200km in a day on my current Allez (split into 2 x 100) and not been too uncomfortable. Would be a significant saving over a non-bike2work option.

2. Tarmac – a lower-end Tarmac with 105 would be affordable, possibly a bit harsh/racey for the sort of long rides I’m considering. I like the idea of carbon!

3. Roubaix – might be possible to get a bottom end 2015 SL4 on bike to work if still available, but I’d probably want to get rid of the 9-speed Sora fairly quickly, and a compact chainset with 11-32T cassette seems a little overkill (admittedly easily changed). Does seem like a potentially better option in terms of geometry for long rides over the Tarmac.

So what’s the STW verdict? Any of the above options make sense? Are there any other brands/models that make far more sense in my price range (£1000-£1500). And before everyone says to go and test-ride some, I doubt I have the experience to be able to tell what suits me best from a test ride, and a test ride isn’t going to highlight the comfort issues that only occur on longer rides. I presume my current frame isn’t really worth upgrading (also would be good to have a separate bike taking the strain of winter commuting).

globalti
    Free Member

Another Specialized fanboy here – I moved from a 1996 Roubaix to a 2013 Roubaix SL3 and am now on a Roubaix SL4.

Alloy is good nowadays and also owning a Tricross disc has destroyed my prejudice against alloy but for sheer fun you can’t beat carbon. The difference between my otherwise identical SL3 and SL4 is chalk and cheese, the SL4 really is a superb endurance bike, the carbon layup makes it feel livelier yet more responsive than the SL3 and a 100 mile ride really isn’t a problem as long as you’ve got it all set up right. There’s nothing wrong with Sora and an 11-32 would be useful for a hilly sportive. You can always fit a closer-ratio cassette for flatter rides and replace the Sora kit later with 105 or Ultegra as it comes up on Ebay. I would definitely go for the SL4, it’s what I did and then I upgraded the excellent frame with other lighter kit. It’s now as close to perfection as any bike I’ve ever owned, the only thing that lets it down is the shifting, which isn’t brilliant if you neglect to maintain the cables.

qtip

Quite liking the look of the Giant Defy Advanced range too.

jontykint
    Free Member

I’ve had a cinelli saetta for a few years, done loads on it including c2c with 10hours in the saddle so its comfortable for a long ride out.

Columbus carbon
    105 groupset
    Probably about 8.5kg

think they are on wiggle now in your price range with 50% off

edit – 40% off. amazing value if you like the colour

CINELLI

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m not planning on racing, but I like to push myself and wouldn’t want to sacrifice too much speed for comfort.

Defy.
    Defy.
    Defy.

Find the best one you can get within your budget and buy it.

The 2016s look excellent, by the way.

If it has to be Spesh, the Roubaix or Diverge should be your pick, I’d say. The Roubaix SL4 Sport didn’t sell well due to the rather gopping (IMHO) colour they originally launched it in, so there may be some of the 2015s left out there. The Diverge is ace (I would say that!) but they are very few left from 2015, unless a shop hasn’t sold them.

jonba
    Free Member

If you want value and can buy without riding then various online places offer good value. Canyon, Rose, Planet X etc.

I read something somewhere about a blind trial in which the only thing people noticed was tyre width. Sportive bikes and stiff race bikes made no difference.
    May not have been factual as I’ve no idea how you ride a bike blind?

I know my bike was reviewed as stiff and aggressive but I’ve knocked out more than enough 200km rides on it – got to 500km this year so take reviews on comfort with a dose of scepticism.

105 is very good. I have old ultegra on my roadie and new 105 on my cross. 105 is probably better.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I read something somewhere about a blind trial in which the only thing people noticed was tyre width…..May not have been factual

Well, a bloke in the pub told me…….

🙄

qtip

Decision made, bike bought!

I will soon be taking ownership of a 2015 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 2.

To say that I’m a bit excited would be an understatement. Hopefully get a few more dry days to put some long rides in on it before the old Allez takes over winter duties.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice! 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

er, this is a win

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p5774/CANNONDALE-SUPERSIX-EVO-ULTEGRA-2015

Wow. I thought they were a bargain reduced to £1500, that’s silly money!

kcr
    Free Member

I think you’re referring to this article, which someone linked to on STW last week:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Thoughts_on_science_perception_4571.html

When they tested a specific frame, the sum total of all the fancy cobble specific design equated to 4psi of tyre pressure. Interesting how subjective people’s judgements are, and how they change when you do blind testing. I liked the story about riders insisting on using their traditional box section rims “for comfort”, despite the fact that they were stiffer than 303s.

To be comfortable and efficient on long rides, I would concentrate on getting your position and your contact points correct. The frame material and design are not so important, and as suggested above, you can probably get what you need by using 25 or 28mm tyres at the correct pressure.
    I’ve ridden a couple of 400km Audax events on an aluminium cross frame this year, and I doubt the frame material was responsible for any aches and pains I experienced.

teef
    Free Member

3. Roubaix – might be possible to get a bottom end 2015 SL4 on bike to work if still available, but I’d probably want to get rid of the 9-speed Sora fairly quickly

I’ve just bought a 2015 Roubaix SL4 for £999 – fantastic bike. 9-speed Sora is fine – don’t upgrade just for the sake of it.

qtip

Yeah, yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blind test, blah, no noticeable difference, blah……

Who cares? I’ve got a new bike 😛

In all seriousness, it’s an interesting article. As a scientist, I’d be interested to know more details about the testing processes used in these blind-tests so that I can pick holes in their methodology, proclaim it all to be half-baked pseudo-scientific nonsense, and go back to justifying why my new bike choice was clearly the best option!

TiRed

Nice choice, you’ll love the ride. Focus on your position and the Advanced# will feel effortless. Depending on the rear cassette, you may want to swap to something a little more close-ratio. 11-25 is a good choice for compact gearing.

Defy SL and Defy 5 (just acquired another!) owner here.

jonba
    Free Member

Who cares? I’ve got a new bike

The one FACT from studying bike speeds is that new bikes are faster than old ones. Enjoy.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Sorry to high jack, but I’m just about to make a similar decision

Need to choose between a Trek Emonda S6 and a Cube Agree GTC Sl both come in at the same price and can’t decide! Cube lighter apparently, Trek has lifetime frame warranty. Struggling to find much info on the Trek though
    Any thoughts?

avdave2

I’ve just bought the Defy Advanced 2. What’s really struck me is just how comfortable it is, I reckon with 25mm tyres it’s just as pleasant on poor roads as my Croix de Fer which is set up with 35mm road tyres.
    It’s also a damn site faster and feels like cheating going uphill in comparison. I was worried it might feel twitchy after 30 years on mountain bikes but it immediately feels more stable than the Genesis. The new 105 5800 11 speed is also fantastic and the TRP spyres seem as good as the BB7’s.
    All in all I don’t think I’ve ridden another bike which just felt so right so quickly.

Just re read the post and seen you’ve bought it, I don’t think you’ll regret it. The one challenge I now have is finding some mudguards for it for winter, The only thing that does let it down slightly is that that hasn’t been thought about.

fandango
    Free Member

Just a quick thought on the Supersix referenced above… isn’t it a bit racey for the OP’s requirements? Great price, but synapse is marketed ‘dale’s endurance bike.

mboy
    Free Member

I will soon be taking ownership of a 2015 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 2.

Fair choice!

A vastly superior bike to any of the (stupidly overpriced) Specialized bikes you mentioned in your original post. Defy’s are comfy, but still stiff and fast, and the TRP Spyre brakes are so much better than canti’s in every respect except weight.

fluided
    Free Member

Have you looked at canyon they seem to do a good spec for the price

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have you looked at canyon they seem to do a good spec for the price

Can you read?

qtip

Can you read?

Bit harsh! I did look at the Canyons – nice bikes and definitely good value for money.

zerolight
    Free Member

qtip – how are you enjoying the Pro 2? I ordered one on Wednesday, should be here sometime Monday. Super excited.

Bez

Just a quick thought on the Supersix referenced above… isn’t it a bit racey for the OP’s requirements?

The OP doesn’t have any requirements any more 😉

But, anyway: No. Racy bikes are great for long distance. Position is everything. (Unless the road surface is consistently bad, when tyre size becomes important.)

qtip

I’ve only managed one ride on it so far, as have been busy being ill, moving house, starting a new job, and mountain biking (and various combinations of the above). However, that one ride was my first century, with over 3000m of climbing including Holme Moss (both ways), Snake Pass and Winnats Pass – so I feel qualified to comment on the bike.

In short, I love it. I don’t have much experience of road bikes to compare it to (just my old cheapo Allez), but the ride was very comfortable, it handled very well and I had way more confidence on the descents than ever before – a large part of this was down to the brakes, which are great. Despite the stability, it feels very responsive. Basically, I found nothing not to like apart from I found the saddle a little uncomfortable (perhaps not surprising given I chose to do the longest ride I’ve ever done on the first ride!).

avdave2

Basically, I found nothing not to like

The only thing I could fault on mine was the lack of provision for mudguards but Giant have now produced mudguards for it, I’ve just ordered some this morning from Pedalon
    Here

Bez

my first century, with over 3000m of climbing including Holme Moss (both ways), Snake Pass and Winnats Pass

Good work 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘New road bike help’ is closed to new replies.