Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New product idea
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Does anyone make a gear hanger that works on a vertical dropout (that lacks a gear hanger)?

I recently saw a dmr one that works on track ends. What I am thinking of would be a hanger that your qr skewer threads into, replacing the nut.

Actually it would be pretty simple to make one so I might just give it a go!

sillyoldman

Yup.

Wheels Mfg do one…

cynic-al
    Free Member

They do? It's well hidden on their site…

EDIT: they don't do what I'm looking for – I assume you mean the emergency spare?

sillyoldman

I do indeed.

What are you looking for?

clubber
    Free Member

I like the idea but it'd be problematic with non-plate d/o – eg cowled ones.

sillyoldman

Ah – just re-read your post……

If it's a ss vertical dropout, or a broken "hangered" dropout, then there wouldn't be much of a key for your hanger to locate into to hold it in place.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The "key" would be 10mm OD with M5 threaded hole going in say 2mm into the dropout, then you would have a "plate" the same size as a QR nut (20mm odd?) to clamp down on the outer face of the dropout. I might have a bash in steel.

Might be easier to use a conventional QR nut and make the hanger slotted to it's not attached to the QR.

sillyoldman

10mm OD isn't a key – that's the issue – that relies on clamping force/friction rather than a good mechanical fit. No?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes it relies on clamping force – tolerances are not good enough (sorry I didn't know "key" was a technical term in that way).

thepodge
    Free Member

I have one not too dissimilar sat no more than 3 foot from me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

pics?

david_r
    Free Member

Sounds interesting. So it's possible?

OK. I've got a Kona Paddywagon that I used last year for winter commuting. Probably the most comfortable bike I have, but after one winter of single speeding…I ain't doing it again this winter. So was planning on selling it.

However! if I can fit a rear hanger and run say a 1×9 set up on it, that would be perfect. Guess I just need to fit an STI and cable tie the gear cable to the frame. Change the front ring to suit a 9 speed chain?

Tell me more people!

Del

or fit an alfine?

thepodge
    Free Member

sorry, i thought you were on about a horizontal dropout not a vertical one.

how many vertical ss frames are there out there that don't have a mech hanger? how would you tension the chain (EBB Excluded)?

don't Shimano make a mech that screws onto the axle? that would solve the issue

cynic-al
    Free Member

david-r – yes, DMR make one for track ends.

thepodge – Member
    sorry, i thought you were on about a horizontal dropout not a vertical one.

how many vertical ss frames are there out there that don't have a mech hanger? how would you tension the chain (EBB Excluded)?

I guess this only applies to either EBB bikes or sliding dropout ones without a hanger. I have the latter. Limited market but I thought it would be a neat solution.

momentum
    Free Member

Wouldn't it be easier to machine or buy a new sliding dropout with a hanger? I think the issue with your idea is that there is nothing to stop the derailleur mount rotating relative to the axle, which could cause some issues.

thepodge
    Free Member

i don't follow, you say its for vertical dropouts but then you say you have sliding ones

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sorry I have both – this idea is meant for EBB.

momentum – easy to stop it rotating, make the part that rests inside the dropout u-shaped.

thepodge
    Free Member

while its a good idea in principal, the different angles of the dropout slot mean its going to be difficult to get your mech hanger in the correct place from one bike to the next. good for a one off product but i cant imagine it would be a one item fits all scenario

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New product idea’ is closed to new replies.