Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • new prescription specs for riding – distance or varifocal ?
  • iainc

Have had a few posts recent months about getting used to varifocals, which are pretty settled now. Have been wearing my distance specs on bike as close stuff not too bad when in bright conditions. Anyway, big off on sat and the distance specs are bust. Probs an insurance claim but will go see optician once stitches out of face.

So do I get another pair of distance only or do I go for varifocals for riding ? They will not be sports specific frames, as at -6.5 they don’t work, so will be flexons or similar

TiRed

Can you read the bike computer without varifocals? Do you want to? My Rx riding glasses have a lot of distortion (+5) but the brain adapts quickly. They are not varifocals, but adaption to distortion is the same.

iainc

Tired – yes I can, although probs only for another year. Ideally I want feel when riding to be as close to rest of time, so think I may punt for a second pair of varifocals same ass my everyday ones

iainc

Same as , sorry

aP
    Free Member

If your prescription is -6.5 then you can get sports frames. I’m -11.5 – I use Rudy Project Maya.

pipiom
    Free Member

I’ve got Oakley varifocals and once used a couple of times they’re awesome

iainc

Pipiom,thanks for that, do they stay on well ?

aP , yes sorry, I think its a combination with my astigmatism that rules them out for me. I kinda feel that the distance ones were good as I already had them but replacing them with more of the same is kinda daft at nearly 48 and becoming more relaint on varifocals to see close stuff

iainc

Any thoughts from the evening crowd ?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’d say just distance glasses.
    Could you carry out a trailside repair without you varifocals?
    If not would you carry reading glasses just in case?

If your astigmatic coorection make it hard to get cheap light glasses it might be worth discussing this with your optician and they might be able to give you a less complex perscrition just for your sports glasses, sacrificing a bit of sharpness for a lot of cheapness. My riding perscription riding glasses were about £35…

iainc

Oliver – some food for thought, thanks

BigJohn

I have just had a free trial of mono vision contact lenses. (once it’s all settled down I’ll go and see The Hustler of this parish for a tune up and supply). For day to day use they’re a bit uninspiring but for riding they come alive – best thing I’ve ever had.

But i have a condition (I now find, after 60 years o putting up with diplopia, or double vision) called 4th nerve palsy and these lenses have been excellent. 2nd day of using I was going down singletrack faster and safer than for a long time and i could still look at my watch and tell the time.

iainc

bigJohn – sounds like you have solution 🙂

I am hoping hustler pops up on this thread as he knows his stuff

iainc

Ok, thanks for ideas. Will go have chat with optician. I like the idea of popping on riding glasses and not having to adapt at all (varifocals) but also quite like the idea of maximum peripheral vision (distance specs). I also realise that the distance option is going to get more limiting as time goes on, so perhaps I have to take this as opportunity to make the change to full time varifocals.

pipiom
    Free Member

My oakleys stay on fine.. …I even went for the non-vented (£50 saving) on my split-jackets and they hardly ever steam up…… my others are the flack-jacket and I love em!!!!……I got VF with reactolight and got them with a slight goody yellow mirror ( stops you looking like a tw…t a la Ali G when indoors)…..great specs a bit dearer but I like em

iainc

pipiom, thanks for that, you gotta link to the model ?

pipiom
    Free Member

Struggle a bit with the linky thing iainC……(old!!!) but google oakley and go on the official site…… Really good pics and explanation……I chose frames and took my prescription to my local Oakley dealer ( on web site) great fast service and we’re IOM……mine are Flack Jacket and Split Jacket……if you’re still struggling I’ll try and do a selfie ( ha!!!) and do the Flickr posting nadgeration thingy…..

iainc

thanks pipiom – I’ll have a google, cheers

BigJohn

bigJohn – sounds like you have solution

I’m going to buy a box of dailies, and just put a couple in for riding. And as they’re daily disposables, I won’t need solution 😉

iainc

sounds good John. I have mailed Hustler for his thoughts

iainc

A bit more research and some info from The Hustler, jolly helpful gent indeed, many thanks

I think its time to try varifocals on the bike 🙂 off to opticians on Wed…

BigJohn

Yes, anybody within an hours drive of Wellington, Telford should ask The Hustler about all eyesight issues.

iainc

Yes, I am nowhere near but he’s dropped me some mails. Top bloke 🙂

A bit more research then optician Wed. More I am reading is pointing towards distance glasses for biking…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘new prescription specs for riding – distance or varifocal ?’ is closed to new replies.