Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • New Porridge show
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Why oh why oh why oh why? Rubbish, and a complete waste of money.

Ambrose

I’ll give it a few more minutes before I switch over. It is dire at the moment though.

marcgear
    Free Member

Already turned it off. Was just some bloke doing a Fletcher impression.

mikey74
    Free Member

Already turned it off. Was just some bloke doing a Fletcher impression.

I was just going to say that same thing. I could possibly excuse them wanting to update it for a new generation, although I would still see it as a pointless waste of money, but to have someone just do a bad impression of one of the most iconic British TV characters of all time is nonsensical.

Philby

Turned it over after 2 minutes – a desecration of one of the great comedy series, and paid for by our TV Licence fee.

mikey74
    Free Member

Turned it over after 2 minutes – a desecration of one of the great comedy series, and paid for by our TV Licence fee.

Bingo!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Even the preview/ ad / trailer or whatever it’s called informing you it starts Friday, made it look utter utter tosh.

Drac

Yup trailer was enough.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I was on another forum earlier today and they were moaning about it too, “why don’t they just show the old ones, they were perfect”. Which I can’t really argue with, Porrige was pretty much Sit-Com perfection, but we’ve seen them all before.

It got me to thinking, in the past Hollywood has recreated actors in CGI when they’ve passed away mid-filming. Given the original writers are still with us (they wrote the new one I hear). Could we technically write new episodes and CGI in the original actors – how cool would that be?!

mikey74
    Free Member

Even the preview/ ad / trailer or whatever it’s called informing you it starts Friday, made it look utter utter tosh.

I don’t really watch BBC 1 much, so I must have completely missed the ads as I had no idea it was even on the cards. A shocking waste of the licence fee.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

New? It’s been on before hasn’t it? This “new” version I mean, or am I imagining how absolutely dire it was?

edlong
    Free Member

My first reaction was similar, this isn’t looking good but tbh I’m glad I gave it a few more minutes, it’s growing on me. Not sure about some of the performances, but the writing’s not bad imho.

chip
    Free Member

Yep was on a couple of years ago I think.

mikey74
    Free Member

That’s even worse: They thought i was good enough to repeat? Jesus….

jambalaya
    Free Member

We are still struggling through just so we catch the start of the 10 o/c news. It’s really dire

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Come on people actually watched it ?

These re makes never work, and why mess with something that wasn’t broken

Drac

Yep was on a couple of years ago I think.

So it was, i caught a few minutes of it then and now hae flashbacks of how awful it was.

km79
    Free Member

Well if you keep paying it they will continue to pump out shite like this.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Surely, if this’s what it’s now come down to, there’s others that had real potential in the 60’s/70’s/80’s but fell by the wayside against such competition as Porridge/Rising Damp/Good Life/Steptoe etc, that could be rewritten for 2017 and wouldn’t be put up for comparison against it’s former self?.

WTF
    Free Member

Pilot episode was good.
    But so was the Fox Force Five pilot.

WTF
    Free Member

Points of View making a comeback also?

mikey74 – Member
    Why oh why oh why oh why? Rubbish, and a complete waste of money.

mikey74
    Free Member

Haha you saw my cunning reference. You win tonight’s internet.

Cougar

Is this a new series? They did a one-off a little while ago, same cast or unrelated?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Yup trailer was enough.

as far as i got too.

wrecker
    Free Member

RIP BBC.

BigJohn

I tried to like it. I felt the writing was good, the Fletcher guy was good and so were some of the other characters; some familiar, some new. But the production values were atrocious. Real ITV spoon fed and see it a mile off, unsubtle and rushed.

binners

I saw the trailer for that and it immediately went in the box marked ‘things that I will never ever ever watch – not even for a second – as they will just needlessly sully the original’.

It’s next to the re-make of Reggie Perrin with Martin Clunes. Just why? Seriously…. how could it be anything other than a third rate impersonation?

On a positive note it did make me revisit all the original Rise and Fall, and Fall and Rise, which were as surreal and stupefyingly brilliant as ever, and they gets more and more relatable the older I get

kelvin

The Martin Clunes thing was actually pretty good.

Kind of the BBC to have a trailer warning me not to watch this one though. There must have been at least one funny moment that could have been used to create a smile raising trail?

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Sometimes they work in the spin off situation. I like Cheers and I love Frasier.
    Love Only Fools and Horses and Green Green Grass was excellent
    (Does anyone believe the second one?)

Jamie
    Free Member

This thread is sponsored by the word overreaction.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I didn’t catch the ‘special’, but yeah this is a new series it seems. Didn’t know it was on, just caught it while flicking around so gave it a go.

Yeah, bloke doing a Fletcher impression. I gave up after a few minutes.

Sure he’s supposed to be offspring or whatever, but just identical mannerisms and rapid sarcastic quips, but no where near as good or funny as the late great Ronnie. Would have been far better to make him a chip off the old block but has his own identity rather than just doing impressions.

Though all kind of pointless to make.

Still Open All Hours is not so bad as while David Jason takes on Ronnie’s role, he’s still Granville but has morphed into Arkwright a bit, and kind of works. It’s flogging a dead horse though. Cast is far too old. It’s like Last of the Summer Wine which dragged on way too long, replacing cast as they died with more people just about to die.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘New Porridge show’ is closed to new replies.