• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Smee.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • new phone time – something that will handle a mildly moist day.
  • Smee
    Free Member

Blackberry curve bit the dust today due to a couple of drops of water getting in. Vodafone were most unhelpful, so i paid up the rest of the contract.

What decent phone and operator are out there?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I would imagine all network operators will share the same attitude to be honest. That's what insurance is for

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

And paying the rest of the contract period and not using it is just daft. Only one winner there

Smee
    Free Member

I know what insurance is for, but when they charge you the cost of the phone over the period of the contract for it, then it doesn't represent value for money. It also makes you suspect that they know the phones are really a bit shit and not fit for use in the uk.

project
    Free Member

Im trying to track down a orange coloured phone , that is shock,dust and waterproof,and its orange in colour,not the service provider,any one any ideas,saw it in a builders magazine,and the muppets in the phone shops dont want to know.

bruneep
    matt_outandabout

At work we have 14 of these on the go – mine went swimming with me down the river Tay a few weeks back, not in its waterproof case and was fine…They live in instructors pockets and bouyancy aids, get wet n based regularly and survive well. If they do die, it is £20 for a new replacement…

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I get free mobile insurance with my bank account. There's a 28 registration period during which I can't claim, but after that I'm covered.

AlasdairMc

The Nokia 3210 is legendary for its durability. When I worked for Nokia we got letters from people who'd washed them in the machine and dried them out with no issues. Another guy dropped his in the freezer and found it a few weeks later, again with no issues in getting it working again.

The other option is to have a dedicated outdoor phone that is disposable, and swap SIM cards from phone to phone.

trail_rat
    Free Member

troutwrestler you with BOS too ? the three reward accounts i have pay for my ultimate reward account each month 😉

ill vouch for the 3210 – my old one had been through the wash – dropped into wet cement – long wet rides and stuck at the bottom of camel back !
    parts were cheap as chips too – screen broke and it was like a 5er to buy a new one off ebay

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

RBS, but now they're all owned by the same people – US!

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Goan, you must have either a very cheap phone or stupidly expensive insurance!
    Mine costs 5 quid a month, thats 60 quid a year, compared to around 350 for the phone. Include the £25 excess and it's still good value. Claimed twice this contract term.

TheDTs
    Free Member

My Dad recently got a landrover phone,basically a Sonim with a landrover badge. It hasn't impressed, battery life is useless. Torch comes on in his pocket and runs it down even quicker.. would not recommend.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Oh I forgot, it also won't bluetooth with his car for some reason…

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have a samsung solid great phone makes calls, does texts and a naff camera but you can drop it drown it fall on it and coat it with mud still comes back for more costs less than £75. Standby time is so good I only need to charge it once a week. Won the Gadget show best on test.

timber

nokia 1100 pretty good too, obviously won't do anything un-phone like, but will make calls and texts whilst surviving a drowning, flying out lorry windows, knocked off 3rd floor balconies and the battery lasts for ages

Smee
    Free Member

TFM – the cost of my contract over the next 12 months would have been £360 to let it run. Paying it off saved me vat, internet and email charges. Call it making the best of a bad job.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘new phone time – something that will handle a mildly moist day.’ is closed to new replies.