Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New phone time – HTC One M8s vs One Mini 2 or something else?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Changing from a Nokia 920 Windows Phone, which has been good and I quite like it (until the non-removable battery came loose inside). Had Android before too so don’t really mind what OS. Alternatives around the same price (can get either of those for £20 a month) seem to he the Sony Z3 or Z3 Compact.

Are those HTC models any good? I quite like the look of them. A solid build quality, solid buttons etc., is quite important.

Cougar

I’ve been on HTC handsets for a fair while. My original generation HTC One (M7) is now coming to the end of its two year contract. Solid bit of kit and hasn’t put a foot wrong, I’d recommend it.

When I looked at the Mini of the same generation, it was fractionally smaller and half the spec. Dunno much about the current gen, sorry.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cheers. From a cursory look, the Mini has slightly poorer performance and battery, with the advantage of being smaller. I assume either will seem like progress compared to my 2 yr old Nokia in any case.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I have the one mini 2, small hands so smaller size won over performance. No issues with it at all and it’s now coming up for a year old. Has passed quite a few drop tests 🙂

getonyourbike
    Free Member

You mention that you could get a Z3 Compact… I’ve got one and it’s doing really well. Fast, not too big, great camera and being waterproof makes it great for riding bikes. Consider it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The next question is, stick with Vodafone or switch to EE? Not much in I cost wise, mobile internet is crap on Vodafone where I live and work, EE apparently much better. Which of them is the least worse to deal with? 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Slight hijack but the Vodafone query caught my attention. Currently have an htc one (m7) on Vodafone with 1gb data, 600 minutes and unlimited text, all for £22.52 a month.

When I’ve looked to switch before, no one could come close to that deal. How can an established customer on one network make a vfm move to a different one?

spawnofyorkshire

i have a one mini 2 as my work phone whilst it’s ok it’s not as good as my friends Z3 compact.
    I also don’t like the rounded smooth back of the one mini 2 as it feels like it’ll slip out of my hand

richc
    Free Member

I have had a lot of HTCs with zero problems including dropping it and when I replaced my latest with a Mini 2 I was happy for about two weeks until I sat down with it in my pocket and felt the screen go….

Eyewatering expensive to repair so I have had a cheap handset as it wasn’t worth replacing.

It can’t be that uncommon as HTC now do free replacement screens in the states, which tells you something….

freddyg
    Free Member

MrsG has the M8 and I have the M9. Both are really good pieces of kit. Quality materials (better than my last samsung galaxy s4 – made of cheese) and nice interface.

If I was to order them again, I would have the M8 instead of the M9. The power-button being in the middle of the right hand side is a PITA. For our uses, we haven’t noticed any difference in handset performance between the two – but we don’t play games, use them for MP3s or video.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Slight hijack but the Vodafone query caught my attention. Currently have an htc one (m7) on Vodafone with 1gb data, 600 minutes and unlimited text, all for £22.52 a month.

When I’ve looked to switch before, no one could come close to that deal. How can an established customer on one network make a vfm move to a different one?

If you like poor reception, contempt for customers and loads of frustration then go for it or go slam your dick in a door as that is just as sensible.

OP, my wife has the HTC One M8 and it’s a great bit of kit and one that I would drop my iPhone 6 for if I didn’t need a specific app that Android doesn’t do.
    If you do get one the camera lens has coating on it which prevents taking some great photos. Once removed it has an impressive camera.

craigxxl
    Free Member

The next question is, stick with Vodafone or switch to EE? Not much in I cost wise, mobile internet is crap on Vodafone where I live and work, EE apparently much better. Which of them is the least worse to deal with?

Sticking with Vodafone then see my previous comment. Have a look at 3 too which is who I moved to from Vodafone. Good reception and broadband too. I’ve had speeds over 50MBs on 4G. When it defaults to 3G when reception isn’t as good it still gets around 12MB’s which is about what I got from Vodafone on 4G. When Vodafone couldn’t get 4G (quite often) I got nothing not even 3G.

allan23
    Free Member

I’d avoid EE at the moment, Leeds City Centre last week was network congested hell. Picked up occasionally but mostly awful and patchy.

Over the past year I’ve had increasingly worse coverage with EE, almost as if they’ve simultaneously switched off masts and oversubscribed.

Not sure who a good alternative would be as poor performance seems to be common across all the networks.

ell_tell
    Free Member

I’ve been on HTC handsets for a few years now and currently have a HTC One (M7) thats come to the end of its 2 year contract. I’m tempted to go sim only tbh as its been a decent phone and still works very well.

The M8 and M9 are evolutions of the M7 so should be better (faster processors etc), though having read reviews the M9 isn’t as much of an improvement over the M8 as it should be for the premium price.

Also worth nothing (and somewhat confusingly) there is a new M8s model out, which is supposed to be a budget M8 with a lesser processor but higher mega pixel camera and the same metal body design. That might work out cheaper on some tariffs?

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s hard to decide on networks, colleagues and friends up here rave about EE because the network coverage appears to be much better – lots have gone from Vodafone to EE. Guess you can find horror stories for any of them if you look for them.

TheZ3 compact appears to be identical performance wise (battery aside) to the Z3, unlike the slight difference with the 2 HTCs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New phone time – HTC One M8s vs One Mini 2 or something else?’ is closed to new replies.