Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New phone scam? Will I die?
  • Smudger666

Just had a chat with the wife – she was called last night by someone ‘from orange’ – they got her to confirm her address but she gave no other details. They then told her she was using way over her limit and that they would send her a new sim and charge an extra 8 quid a month because she was such a loyal customer.

I’m expecting a new sim to be delivered by post/courier with a number to call to activate when they will try to get her bank details.

Just checked with orange and its definitely not them, googled the number and its a bunch of thieving wiegies (glaswegians for those dahn sarf)that are trying it on.

Anyways, thought I’d post as a PSA and ask if the fact they have her mobile number and address is a security risk? I know address and name is on electoral roll, so am not too worried.

The number is 01414130234 just in case. Googling it throws up the details of various folk contacted.

S.

aracer
    Free Member

Yes, you will die.

bruneep

phone calls from Orange and our partners
    From time to time you may be contacted by us or our selected partners to be told about additional products and services.

If you’ve received a call of this nature from one of our authorised partners, you can confirm this is a genuine call as they’ll be calling on one of the numbers listed below:
    0141 413 0234
    07973 100 194
    0845 270 7379
    0845 340 2025
    01844 398 604

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/741553

Smudger666

Hmm interesting info – thanks.

I wonder if someone has gained access to the number somehow – we just called orange and they have no record of us being over the usage limits as intimated by the original caller. Passed all details to,orange so we’ll see what happens.

And I just used the word intimated. Not sure I’m comfortable with that!

meehaja
    Free Member

interesting… I had a missed call from that very number earlier today… I’m on o2 though..

Cougar

I get them a lot. Conversation goes like this,

“Hi sir, we’re calling from O2…”

“Wait, are you calling from O2, or on behalf of O2?”

“We’re calling on behalf of O2, sir…”

“Bye, then.” *click*

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

? Partners rather than Orange itself. So it might be cold-calling rather than scamming

Used to get such calls with O2, only once with 3, so far

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I get these but I’m not as tolerant

I get them a lot. Conversation goes like this,

“Hi sir, we’re calling from
    *click*

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New phone scam? Will I die?’ is closed to new replies.