Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • New Open Pro Exalith, mmmmmm
  • mcj78
    Free Member

Seen a couple of pics of these pop up over the last few days – wider / lighter / sexier than the old ones, rumours of carbon versions too (Mavic bought Enve didn’t they??) wonder if they’ll be prohibitively expensive for those using discs who won’t need the fancy braking surface or if there’ll be an all-black non-Exalith coated one with the same look but lower price… either way i’m justifying them in my mind anyway for one bike or another, road rims have always been a bit “whatever” to me but these look damn good

stevious

I’m a big fan of the exalith coating. The wheels that came with my canyon have them and have done about 15000 km – they’re only just showing a bit of wear in places.

An extra bit of wideness can’t hurt either.

cynic-al
    Free Member

About time someone did rim-coating again.

About time Mavic made some light rims too…

13thfloormonk

Ooooh, those look good, and just when I’d convinced myself a factory wheelset would be fine for my ‘perfect’ build.

Wonder how much a set of these on some Campag hubs would run to…

mcj78
    Free Member

13thfloormonk – that’s what i’ve been thinking, they’d look the balls with the black Record hubs & black spokes / nips (i’ve used the black DT prolock ones instead of alloy in the past & they’ve held up well) bit of shopping around / voucher wangling you can pick the hubs up for just over £150 a pair… 😉

13thfloormonk

Ha, yeah I’ve just scurried over to CRC to see what the hubs cost.

I’m a bit out of touch with rim prices at the moment, what would a pair of these cost, £100 each?

Means £350 before spokes, £50 for 64 DT Competition, £400?

I read the rims are 435g each so total wheelset weight approx 1700g?

Seems pretty good, maybe 100g heavier than Fulcrum 3 wheelset, but handbuilt and sexier 8)

13thfloormonk

Hmm, potentially a 1570g wheelset for £430 if you build with Campag Record and DT Revs, got my co-worker interested too as he’s always been jealous of the braking noise of our boss’s Exalith wheelset… 😀

Rik
    Free Member

Are they any wider?

Open pros are great but they are very narrow compared to today’s standards

simondbarnes

Are they any wider?

Yes

mrmo
    Free Member

interested,

BUT,

Have you seen the price difference between the current exalith and non exalith wheelsets?

And from memory weren’t the old ceramic rims a LOT more than the normal rims??? double the price?? adding inflation i wouldn’t be shocked to see £150+ a rim.

13thfloormonk

Hmm, yes, good point, in fact my co-worker was especially interested in the rims BECAUSE he couldn’t afford the complete wheelset, I suppose Mavic wouldn’t be silly enough to undermine their more costly factory wheels 🙁

Rik
    Free Member

How much wider?

simondbarnes

How much wider?

19mm internal apparently so 4mm wider

MrSmith
    Free Member

tubeless ready?
    Mavic really do need need to get with the road wheel zeitgeist.

tonyg2003

I managed to take of the Exalith coating from my brand new Ksyrium SLR Pro’s on their first ride!!

Although that was the Strada Bianchi last weekend.

onandon
    Free Member

Black coated wheels are like black coated watches. They look great when new but soon look totally shite and make you which you’d gone for silver.

BadlyWiredDog

Exalith is awesome for best – mad whistling howl under braking, feels proper strong, but you also need to factor in the need for special compound brake pads at Swisstop prices.

13thfloormonk

I think I’m going to quietly abandon the idea anyway, heard they squeel for the first few rides at least and intermittently after that, which is enough to put me off!

tonyg2003

They squeal to start with and sort of fizz after that (not unpleasantly)

TiRed

tubeless ready?
    Mavic really do need need to get with the road wheel zeitgeist.

I’ve been running Schwalbe Ones tubeless on ksyriums for a couple of years. No spoke holes make them the best road tubeless option available.

Rorschach
    Free Member

No spoke holes make them the best road tubeless option available.

Like Fulcrums?
    I’d be more concerned with sidewall wall strength ,ERTO and bead hook shape in regards to tubeless suitability rather than the fact you don’t have to use tape.

TiRed

I reasoned that most of the technology is in the tyre bead rather than the rim, hence I’ve run Schwalbe One Tubeless and now G One Speed Tubeless tyres on non tubeless rims. I like my teeth 😉

sq225917
    Free Member

I’ve done a lot of mixed commuting on my Kysirium SL Pro, with 25mm tyres the wheels have held up as well as a set of WTB CX i19’s with 32mm tyres on. They’re surprisingly tough rims. I’d totally consider a set of these built up with CX-rays on disc hubs for my B.B.Bosh.

stonster
    Free Member

What’s with the slightly odd whitewall tyres on them? Is this a roadie trend I’m behind on? It all looks a bit 1980s to me…

zilog6128

I’d be more concerned with sidewall wall strength ,ERTO and bead hook shape in regards to tubeless suitability rather than the fact you don’t have to use tape.

I’ve also been using Schwalbe tubeless on Kysirium Elites for years with no problems.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’ve used my ksyriums accidentally tubeless. Krylion carbons were a crazy tight fit on them, tube with slow puncture let its air out into the tyre which then held air in a tubeless fashion. Never realised until i wanted to change the tyre, depressed the valve pin and no air came out. After a bit of confused head scratching finally figured out what must have happened and took off the nut and with a bit of brute force managed to push valve down and air wooshed out quite violently.

rOcKeTdOg

Sent two sets of exalith rims (ksyrium carbon) back for customers who used the exalith brake blocks but took the coating off the rims in two rides. Do alloy ones fair better?

TiRed

I’d be more concerned with sidewall wall strength ,ERTO and bead hook shape in regards to tubeless suitability

Exactly this. The Schwalbe one tubeless bead hook shape is totally different to the non tubeless. I know because in front of me is one of each that I have just retired due to wear (non tubeless) and a large hole that can’t seal perfectly at 90 psi (tubeless). The new Schwalbe One Tubeless is an out and out lightweight race tyre with integrated airtight sidewall liner. The original had some rather robust sidewalls with an inner airtight lining. The G One speeds appear to be based on the original One. I’m very happy with them. And they come up at 28 mm on narrow Ksyrium rims, running at 85/90 psi.

I thought the exalith coating was expected to wear off? One gritty ride and that was it. I do like the machined profiles, but to be honest don’t really think extra width adds much to the party. My 25c Vittoria paves are a perfect fit for open Pros, they were obviously designed to match.

mattsccm
    Free Member

But the colour! Open Pros should be either silver or that lovely browny grey. The only place for black on a bike is the tyres, the brake blocks and possibly cable outers.
    Anything else is pure tack.

simondbarnes

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    Sent two sets of exalith rims (ksyrium carbon) back for customers who used the exalith brake blocks but took the coating off the rims in two rides. Do alloy ones fair better?

Were they Ksyrium Carbon or Ksyrium Exalith? Two different things.

servo
    Free Member

I have the Fulcrum version of this called “Nite” on my Racing Zero’s. Really nice wheels with ceramic bearings as well. Brakes made quite a lot of noise for the first few hundred miles but have bedded in quite well now. Did wear out the first set of brakes blocks really quickly though. Still look good.

13thfloormonk

Oho, Bikerumor reporting standard, exalith and disc only rims on theor way

Article

simondbarnes

Should be perfect for when I need to replace the Open Pros on my Equilbrium 853. I’ll be giving Exalith a miss, my pockets aren’t deep enough, even at trade prices 🙂

13thfloormonk

Funny, if I go for a non-exalith build it will be for an Equilibrium 725 8)

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘New Open Pro Exalith, mmmmmm’ is closed to new replies.