Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New (Old) Enduro SX Build
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

Bought this frame off Ebay recently on a whim and built it using bits from the spares bin and the wheels and brakes from my Soul:

It's fun to ride although much shorter than my other bikes. I need to decide on the proper build but I'm thinking coil U-turn Pikes. Currently showing as 32.1lb on my scales (which is marginally lighter than my other Enduro) but I'm expecting it'll end up a bit heavier than that. I've heard that the low BB makes for great handling but lots of pedal strikes so it's also the only one of my bikes with 170mm cranks.

jam-bo

great bikes.

i had two, snapped two….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I had one and it was good fun but i thought the back end was a bit flexy on certain things. I got rid of it and went back to a hardtail.

Pikes would be ideal, you can change the bb height by flipping the linkage over

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    epicsteve
    Free Member

brakes
    Free Member

mate of mine has one, so much fun to ride on jumpy, bermy tracks

jam-bo

so much fun to ride on jumpy, bermy tracks

not so much fun on the WC track at fort bill. i think i was underbiked….

AlasdairMc

What forks do you have on your other Enduro or is this a replacement for it?

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would love one of them they sound like my kind of bike.

Tracey

Loved mine, had Shermans on it

Tracey

GW
    Free Member

got a large (long really) one with a Pushed Vanilla coil shock and coil pikes, mine's a mini DH build, DH cranks, MRP, 721s, juicy's and kinda custom DH tyres.. it weighs in at 37lb and at places like innerleithen it's a faster DH bike than my 41lb Sunday. with the pikes (always at 140mm) the BB height is only raised to 12.6", the head angle is a nice DHable 65deg and it has a decently long wheelbase for riding flat out.

Jambo – can empathise with you about riding it at Ft Bill.. even at innerliethen doing full runs at race pace on some tracks can become pretty sore on the feet with just 4". where did your two snap?

jam-bo

Chainstays. Weld nearest the BB.

brakes
    Free Member

don't BETD do a linkage/ stay upgrade to stretch it out to 5"+?

jam-bo

Maybe, but that would be pretty much missing the point of the bike.

epicsteve
    Free Member

What forks do you have on your other Enduro

It's got coil Pike's on it. I've got a set of 140mm Vanillas coming and also the Talas forks on the Soul. Not quite sure which bike will get which forks yet though.

or is this a replacement for it?

The current plan is to keep them both. Had a quick spin on the SX last night but just about to head out and give it a first proper ride tonight.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Short video

Only did a short ride as the weather was closing in and I forgot a jacket. Not the most well behaved bike uphill, although partly because the seatpost is a bit short. Got there in the end though and it was a lot of fun downhill. Should be fun at Glentress or the like.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It's a very rare machine indeed and one I lusted after.

It looks ace with urban camo Shermans though.

GW
    Free Member

slam the saddle and rag that wee beasty to within an inch of it's life..

😀

epicsteve
    Free Member

More likely to be within an inch of my life!

Current thinking is that the 140mm Vanillas are going on the SX and the Pikes stay on my S-Works one. It'll give me a great excuse for going slow uphill.

GW
    Free Member

wouldn't worry too much about the forks, best thing you can do with it is have the shock pushed.. pricy but well worth it.

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

Aw, seeing those pics has reminded me of how much I miss my Enduro SX
    😥

I had Pikes on mine and the rear spring was so hard it used to pedal just like a hardtail, and only spring into life when it was worked really hard. It worked so well as a 4X bike and I did a few short-course DH events on it too…

Anyone want to sell theirs? Haha

coastkid
    Free Member

i had a yellow one of these with a big hit rear end and 6" junior Ts on it and it was wicked…it had the BETD fork brace also to allow 3" nokians up front!, got pics somewhere and wil post when i find/scan them,
    sorry for side hijack steve but im selling this if any retro geeks reading this..same idea but single pivot, a 99 super v with raven swingam and RP3 giving 6" travel but unlike the DH super V which used a sachs rear disc caliper this takes regular calipers..£200 cash and take it away…

epicsteve
    Free Member

Looks like my other Enduro is going to be out of commission for a bit longer as the Bikeworks don't have the tools or the bearings to fix the knackered horst link bearings. Think I'll swap the seatpost, forks, tyres and brakes from that onto the SX until I get the other one fixed.

Tracey

A few more pics of mine before it was split up

Tracey

mysterymove
    Free Member

Hmmm, I have one of these sat doing nothing and thinking about selling if if anyone's interested?

GW
    Free Member

what size, year and how much? (might buy it as a spare)

epicsteve
    Free Member

First proper ride on the SX video

My SX now has the U-turn coil Pikes from my S-Works Enduro and those are much better suited than the Nixons were. I also used the longer seatpost from that which made a noticeable difference on the climbs – not that I expect the SX will ever be a great climber. I'm currently running with an Eskar on the front and a Captain on the rear but think I'll either go with an Eskar on the back as well or possibly do that and but something even bigger on the front.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Well that it's pretty much built up properly now, although the rear wheel, tyre and brake has been changed since this mornings ride. With steel bead Eskars and Pikes it's 34.7lbs, which seems like quite a lot and a good 2lbs heavier than the S-Works with a similarish build. Good fun though, so I suppose I'd just have to develop strong legs!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘New (Old) Enduro SX Build’ is closed to new replies.