Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • New Ohlins air shock!
  • enigmas
    Free Member

Just saw this posted up on mtbr

http://www.specialized.com/li/de/ddb/www/#products/B/mountain/enduro/sworks-enduro-650b

If this rides anything like the coil version this could be the new king of air shocks! Will probably be a year or so until it’s available aftermarket though.

LoCo
    Free Member

😀

kimbers

They have 160 mm forks on the way too !

LoCo
    Free Member

😀 😀

grtdkad

Ohlins on a bike, well **** me!

enigmas
    Free Member

Oh come on Kimbers… you can’t say that without posting pics as well! 😛

timmys

Also an Enduro Evo with 180 mm triple clamp Boxxers (and coil Ohlins shock).

http://www.specialized.com/li/de/ddb/www/#products/B/mountain/enduro/enduro-expert-evo-650b

Wasn’t expecting that.

MSP

The enduro evo has been out for a while.

timmys

The enduro evo has been out for a while.

Oh OK, the triple clamp forked evo have passed me by.

oooff, that S-Works though, I’m going to have to take a moment.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Awesome news. I guess I should be hoping for them to be available aftermarket in 2016 🙂

Now the big question is how it would compare in terms of performance to the Push 11-6 shock…

kimbers

Oh come on Kimbers… you can’t say that without posting pics as well!

No pics, we were staying in the same Bunkhouse at EWS A super fast Swedish enduroist , and get nice chap Robin Walner and his brother, both running online front n rear, no decals on them but I had a nose in the bike store and they said ohlins in paint on the back

Some pics here
    https://www.rootsandrain.com/rider2974/robin-wallner/photos/?race=3031

Zoom in on this one
    https://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/1009330

And on his brothers bike
    https://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/1009331

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Am going to get this asap when they’re available as have been lusting over the coil versions for a while now.
    Plus it will be a well worthy upgrade over a Fox RPL, please Ohlins, bring out the new air in 190×50.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

More info on the new Ohlins air shock: http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feature/Sneak-Peek-New-Ohlins-Air-Shock-Featured-on-2016-Specialized-Enduro,344

£499 and available to the existing Specialized Enduro bikes from September this year.

As usual, there are some interesting posts in the comments section:

This isnt that hard… The Enduros will probably get SWAT doors when the engineering team has enough resources (aka quits gherkin it on proprietary road bike parts that will likely be recalled early 2016).
    Second, this shock is specifically designed to deal with outdated bad suspension design. Proprietary mounts, proprietary length/stroke… Exciting! PUSH wont do a shock for the Enduro 650b over 190lb rider weight because the ratio is garbage.
    This shock is a bandaid for bad frame shock rates, not new tech that will have any trickle-down to applly to any other brand bike. I feel sorry Ohlins was talked into working with these clowns.
    Any idiot should deduce that this bike/shock is a complete waste of money until redesigned in 2016. And it will still a be a waste until proprietary mounts and stroke/lengths are gone.
    Way to go Specialized and Ohlins (slow clap……)

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

There are a fair few guys over here in Sweden that run the rear coil shock on their enduro bikes. They rave about them.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

PUSH wont do a shock for the Enduro 650b over 190lb rider weight because the ratio is garbage.

That says more about the limitations of Push than the Enduro

sideshow
    Free Member

Exclusive first look: Öhlins STX22 air shock (VIDEO)

I wonder if it will really be comparable to the coil? Or will it fall apart like the CCDBInline? Seems a shame Ohlins ditched the spherical bearing for the air shock, as that would seem to mitigate problems the Inline had with lateral loading from the custom yoke.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Seeing as Ohlins ‘thing’ has been that they have a proper double barrel/twin tube damper where the competition only had single tube de-carbon style dampers, isn’t the STX a bit of a step down in theoretical performance? Or maybe that’s the idea, to get Ohlins shocks on mid range bikes, I’m guessing the Fox Float market segment is huge compared to any other they’re involved in.

sideshow
    Free Member

I’m not quite sure I understand what this twin/single tube thing is about

Is twin tube the same thing as a piggyback – is the rock shox monarch plus a twin tube?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m not quite sure I understand what this twin/single tube thing is about

Is twin tube the same thing as a piggyback – is the rock shox monarch plus a twin tube?

Nope, all mountainbike dampers apart from the CCDB and the old Romic twin tube are what are known as de-carbon dampers (invented by Mr De-Carbon I presume). they operate on the principal that the shaft of the damper is displacing some fluid into the pigyback* and there’s a damping valve between the shock body and the pigyback, there are also dampers on the piston on the shaft which do some of the damping but are non adjustable. The bigger the shaft the more control you have (see the progression from a Fox RC4 Vs the original VanRC, and the DHX in between), but only to a point, bigger shafts have more friction so you want to minimize that at the same time.

A twin tube has a pigyback to accommodate the displaced fluid, but there’s no damper between the shock and the pigyback, it also has fixed dampers on the piston too. But it also has a tube within a tube (hence twin tube), which means the dampers on the piston can be almost entirely closed and the piston is effectively pushing all the damping fluid (not just a fraction) through the adjustable dampers (which are often mounted on the pigyback for convenience), the returning oil re-circulates through the outside tube to the other side of the piston.

The two main advantages are you’re flowing a lot more oil through the adjustable damper, which is why a CCDB can be tuned for a lightweight or heavy rider or different bikes as they can have a really wide adjustment range, without having to dismantle it as with Fox/RS (which is why fox/RS chocks come in 3 different compression and rebound tunes). It also means the hot oil after it comes out the damper is forced round the outside of the shock, which cools it before it goes back into the main body of the shock, and cooler (or at least consistent temperature) oil is better.

*it doesn’t have to be a pigyback, it might be an internal reservoir inline with the shaft like on a Fox float or a normal monarch shock or the CCDB inline.

Northwind

thisisnotaspoon – Member

(invented by Mr De-Carbon I presume

Chris De Carbon. Honest!

Always a wee bit skeptical of Ohlins tbh, is this going to be a pro level shock or is it going to be disappointing consumer level stuff like so much of their motorbike range? It’s not a guarantee of quality, that name, they could dip a jobby in gold paint and people’d bolt them to their GSXRs. But they can do good stuff when they want to so hopefully…

sideshow
    Free Member

Ok but the new STX has all the damping setting adjustable externally no?

Whaddya reckon I should get – assuming I want something reliable as well as good – monarch or new STX? I’m wary of first generation products…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I have no idea, I’ve not ridden a monarch equipped bike or a STX (has anyone outside the development program?).

I doubt it’ll be bad, it’s still using the same basic design as any other shock, and it’s still made by Ohlins who undoubtedly know what they’re doing. On the other hand there can’t be much doubt it’s a cheaper shock than anything else they’ve made or licensed, and if it was as good, why did they make the CCDB and TTX? But maybe they’re right, maybe an enduro bike isn’t enough to really notice the difference between a well made and well set-up TTX and STX?

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Nope, all mountainbike dampers apart from the CCDB and the old Romic twin tube are what are known as de-carbon dampers (invented by Mr De-Carbon I presume). they operate on the principal that the shaft of the damper is displacing some fluid into the pigyback* and there’s a damping valve between the shock body and the pigyback, there are also dampers on the piston on the shaft which do some of the damping but are non adjustable. The bigger the shaft the more control you have (see the progression from a Fox RC4 Vs the original VanRC, and the DHX in between), but only to a point, bigger shafts have more friction so you want to minimize that at the same time.

A twin tube has a pigyback to accommodate the displaced fluid, but there’s no damper between the shock and the pigyback, it also has fixed dampers on the piston too. But it also has a tube within a tube (hence twin tube), which means the dampers on the piston can be almost entirely closed and the piston is effectively pushing all the damping fluid (not just a fraction) through the adjustable dampers (which are often mounted on the pigyback for convenience), the returning oil re-circulates through the outside tube to the other side of the piston.

The two main advantages are you’re flowing a lot more oil through the adjustable damper, which is why a CCDB can be tuned for a lightweight or heavy rider or different bikes as they can have a really wide adjustment range, without having to dismantle it as with Fox/RS (which is why fox/RS chocks come in 3 different compression and rebound tunes). It also means the hot oil after it comes out the damper is forced round the outside of the shock, which cools it before it goes back into the main body of the shock, and cooler (or at least consistent temperature) oil is better.

Great info here. Thanks

kayla1
    Free Member

Only if the bolts are anodised blue though!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m expecting a serious breach of some Strava times once the believers drop their cash….

goodgrief
    Free Member

Fox X2 for the same price? I know which one I’ll be getting, it won’t need a special order from Italy either…

Hadge
    Free Member

We’ve been making some custom bushes for the Ohlins at work.

wiggles
    Free Member

I can confirm it looks very nice up close and is relatively light, wasn’t attached to anything so cant comment on use yet…

sideshow
    Free Member

But you can’t get fox X2 to fit enduro though right?

hadge does that mean you could make a spherical bush for the stx?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

But you can’t get fox X2 to fit enduro though right?

Yes you can, just not as a member of the public at the moment.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘New Ohlins air shock!’ is closed to new replies.