Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • New MTB shoes, what you wearing?
  • carlos
    Free Member

Finally my Spesh Sport Mtb shoes have given up the ghost. Some of the sole and toe guards have peeled off and it’s time for something new.

What you all wearing?

Currently looking at some North Wave, Mavic, Spesh and Shimano’s. Ideally good to walk in, as I seem to be heading off to The Lakes more and more, which includes a fair bit of hike a bike, don’t want the Boa fastening, happy with just Velcro fasteners, would like reasonably lightweight and a stiff sole.

Tia

shredder
    Free Member

Shimano M163
    Brilliant

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m oscillating between S-Works XC for cross country/gnarmac and 2F0 Flats for maximum schralp. 😉

For what you’re after, I’d look at the new stuff from Northwave, and seek out some bargains on Rimes. Yes, they have Boa, but they’re very good all rounders, especially the 2015 version. (Oh, and fit is everything, as ever. Mavic come up narrow on me.)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member
    MSP

Sidi dragon for hike a bike, are you mad?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

MSP – Member
    Sidi dragon for hike a bike, are you mad?

I assume he crawls instead of hikes since he said he wanted a stiff sole

fathomer

I’m really liking my Giro Terraduro’s.

As CHF says, fit is everything. I had to import a half size as the UK distributor seems to think that Brits don’t need them!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ooh, had forgotten the Terraduro! Good call, there. Two width fittings as well.

youngrob

Mavic Alpine XLs

kimbers

Scott trail boa evos, loving them, very comfy and nice and light

teamslug
    Free Member

S works xc shoes. Best £225.00 I’ve ever spent on shoes!!!

ben98
    Free Member

Mavic Alpine XL’s as has already been mentioned.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

S works xc shoes. Best £225.00 I’ve ever spent on shoes!!!

I agree, great shoes. Truly excellent.

Hardly suitable for hike-a-bike big days, though.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Even though I have the S-Works road shoes I found the mtb version too narrow for my massive wide feet. The pros do the trick though. Only the one Boa fastening and the other two velcro. I find the carbon soles pretty comfortable to walk in though wet rocks take some concentration. 😯

carlos
    Free Member

£225 for a pair of shoes?… I don’t think so.

Already looked at those Mavic but not looked at the Giro’s yet.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Shimano M200.
    Other than looking a bit boring in all black, they’re ace.

unovolo
    Free Member

Not that well off so I have to settle for the cheaper end, that said just bought a pair of Shimano MT85 and think there great for the money, got them for about £57 with a £5 off voucher at Tredz.

steezysix
    Free Member

If you like the fit of your Specialized ones, have a look at the new version of the Rime. They’ve got rid of the Boa (which I think is a shame) and gone for 3 velcro straps. I find sole is perfect for hiking and stiff enough for long rides.

simondbarnes

I’ve got Spesh Pro Carbon and Bont Riot MTB which are both excellent but not so much fun for hike-a-bike as they’re too stiff. Picked up a pair of Spesh Rime (with the Boa) and they’re excellent – super comfy and grippy when walking.

nemesis
    Free Member

Really interested to hear more about the bont, particularly how durable they are.

FWIW, shimano xc50n are very good on and off the bike but area also waterproof.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the Pearl Izumi X-Project range (namely the 3.0 being a tight arse…) not sure what they are like though!

Cheers, Steve

everyone
    Free Member

I’ve some sidi eagles that I got for a bargain. If only I had the cash for those dragons!

nikk
    Free Member

Got new Specalized Rime, impressed with how good they are for walking in. They don’t need to be done up tight, so I guess for me the boa thing would be a complication, the velcro works fine.

Also have the Pearl Izumi X-Project 1.0s .Nice shoes to pedal in, have stiffer sole than the Rime, and I also like the 1.0s upper which doesn’t soak up much water and is very breathable. Unfortunately, they are not good for hike a bike.

sambob
    Free Member

Got a pair of Mavic crossmax that I’m yet to actually ride in but they seem to suit my narrow feet well and have a very grippy sole for hikeabiking.

stewartc
    Free Member

Mavic Crossmax
    Shimano SH-M200

Both bearing up very well.

MSP

If you are including hike a bike in your requirements I would go for one of the following

five ten kestrel
    Giro Terraduro
    mavic alpine (not the xl)
    specialized 2fo cliplite (out at the end of the month).

The 5 10’s are the stiffest pedalling platform out of those.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Had two sets of Giro Terraduro, in both cases the sole delaminated from the upper. And this was on the new 2015 version that was supposed to be fixed. Had a cash refund bought Mavic Enduro shoes. They are better than the Giro even if it didn’t have a quality control issue. I like the ankle cuff keeps the dirt out, better closer fitting with the pull up tab. More aggressive vibrant sole. Currently using them on week two of three in Canada in 35 degree heat. No issues and they are proving to be a tough shoe so far

crush83
    Free Member

another one for Mavic Alpine XL

m360
    Free Member

I recently got some Shimano MT34L’s and whilst they may or may not prove durable, they are pretty good for walking in. Way nicer than any of my previous “race” shoes. And at £45, if they don’t last so long I’m not that bothered!

nickc

I can’t recommend 5:10 for hike a bike duties TBH. I’ve a pair and they soak up water like a sponge, and then take an age to dry out (couple of days on a radiator at least).

njee20
    Free Member

Had always used S-Works, but my last pair didn’t last that long and I didn’t like the current ones, so replaced with Bontrager Race X Lites, which I’m very impressed with. Heavier than the S-Works, but a lot more support.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Just got the last, of the last, Teva Links in my size anywhere – I’ll get a year to 18 months out of them- I’ll probably go Spesh 2FO next time, they’re meant to be a great balance between Links and 5:10s in terms of grip and weather protection.

Wally

Decathlon own brand in sales, a little gem of value.

MSP

I can’t recommend 5:10 for hike a bike duties TBH

You do know they make about 20 different styles of shoe don’t you?

dudeofdoom

Yep The teva links are’t bad – pity they bombed out the marktet tbh.

Burts
    Free Member

I’ve got some Specialized Rime’s (44) for sale in the classifieds if that’s of any interest. They’re great shoes for trail riding with hike-a-bike. I got them for riding in BC but unfortunately bought 1/2 size too big.

nickc

You do know they make about 20 different styles of shoe don’t you?

yep, and most of them will do a passable sponge impression 😆

failedengineer

Another vote for Shimano XC50n here – no mesh so warmer/drier in Winter and not much hotter in Summer. Mine have lasted 3 years, I’m going to replace them with the latest incarnation XC51N.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Bontrager RLXL

shite for Hike a bike – but they came in Porange colour

curiousyellow
    Free Member

My M163s started to come apart where the buckle is. If that starts happening to you if you get them then warranty them immediately.

Nothing a bit of duct tape won’t sort though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘New MTB shoes, what you wearing?’ is closed to new replies.