Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New Model Army
  • whytetrash

New album sounding good so far…touring UK november…happy days!

john_drummer
    Free Member

only 6 UK dates in November – I might do Manchester or Gateshead. More to follow in the spring of 2010, apparently 🙂

I've played it twice now, but just been listening to Carnival in the car.

Rex
    Free Member

just bought the new album from the nma site, and the two others i'd shamefully neglected to buy over the years.

might make the brighton gig – will be the first one since the love of hopeless causes tour for me….

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Who's the line up these days? it used to be a scarey looking bloke called Slade the Leveller, Stuart Morrow and someone else who's name eludes me. My favourite number was Betcha, which apparently they hated playing.

john_drummer
    Free Member

scary man is still there. Stuart quit in '85 & Rob died in 2004. but I think you know that & are just trolling 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

No, genuinely I was a fan in the early/mid eighties, saw them at a benefit gig at Bingley Little Theatre in 1983(ish), still have some early singles and their 1st ablum Vengeance (I think?), but didn't think much of the 2nd album and paid no attention to them ever since. There's been a few threads on here which I've contributed to, but it was a genuine question. But yes I did know he goes by the name of Justin these days.

bassspine
    Free Member

Haven't seen/heard them since Vengeance. That choon rates as one of my all time favourite singalonginthecar tracks (not quite so good to catch yourself singing in the supermarket)

sc-xc

I am booked in to get tattoo'd by Joolz on the 17th Nov 😀 😀 😀 😀

sc-xc

and not got Today is…yet, but will rectify tomorrow. All time favourite band, my son's middle name is Sullivan 8)

lovewookie

tickets arrived for Glasgow a few days ago.

Not a big fan but the wife is. Been once before and enjoyed it, so should be a good night out 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

Always a good night out.

Get 'f*ck Texas…' for a flavour of what they're like live these days.
    It was recorded on the last Europe/N.America tour

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

my son's middle name is Sullivan

hmm…I hope he doesn't look anything like him.

Bradford at that time was a great place to be NMA, 3 Johns, The Southern Death Cult, Skeletal Family, The 1 in 12 club. For me, it was quite intense for about 3 years 82-85, then I left the six form and got a job.

As far as NMA where concerned at that time, they signed to a label, appeared on Top of the Pops, The Cult went all USA Rock.

The only interest I've taken in Bradford artists of that time is Anne Marie Hurst (Skeletal Family), but only because she goes down my local and we've chat regularly over the last 25 years.

vdubber67
    Free Member

New album is rather good. Some really strong songs on there. Going to Birmingham and the local Worksop gig. Still got my clogs from about 1988 somewhere 😉

Barry – what you having done by Joolz then? Looked at her flash work and didn't really like it, but her NMA art is just beautiful…

sc-xc

I have booked in 4 hours with her, she is going to improve some old tribalstuff I have, I love her style, she has certain themes….crosses, fish, hearts, skulls etc. I trust her to do something beautiful.

DavidB
    Free Member

God I hated the **** with clogs booting me in the back of the legs at the front of their gigs. Saw them loads but never succumbed to wooden shoes

slimtubing
    Free Member

Clogs were ace, mine were gurt big steel toe capped ones that made me about 4 cms taller and invulnerable to stamped on toes at gigs, my dad threw them out while i was in Oz in 94 I was gutted! Still they were a bit of a bitch to walk more than a mile in.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I once went to Amsterdam in my clogs.

We found a bar called "you can't dance in wooden shoes", so I had to prove them wrong 😉

no idea where my wooden shoes are now though

anyway, back on topic. The new album is very good, heavier sound than previous, but I guess that's down to Marshall (the new guitar player, not the amplifiers). I love the reworking of Ocean Rising especially

john_drummer
    Free Member

Bradford at that time was a great place to be NMA, 3 Johns, The Southern Death Cult, Skeletal Family, The 1 in 12 club.

Not forgetting the Manhattan Club (near BCFC), the Bierkellar and The Spotted House

oh yeah.

And close enough to Leeds to go see the posers in cowboy hats if you felt the need 😉
    But in the mid-late 80s Bradford Uni was very big on the college tour scene – just about everybody played there.

I even saw The Housemartins just after Happy Hour went to No1 but they'd been booked months earlier as a "local" band so it was free to get in 🙂

I played at the 1 in 12 a few times between 82 & 90; also did a lot of gigs at the Queens Hall cellar bar & the Uni. Supported (among others) NMA, Psychosurgeons (a few times – RIP Willi), Chumbawamba, UK Subs, Dr & The Medics…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Wild Willy Beckett and Joolz supported the NMA at Bingley Little Theatre at that benefit gig, I don't recall what the benefit was, anti bomb, the miners. it was a point in time, a long time ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New Model Army’ is closed to new replies.