Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • New mobile phone
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I’m looking to replace my Moto G 3rd Gen and tempted to get a G5S Plus: Any other alternatives for £200-250?

mikey74
    Free Member

Bumpety bump!

scruff9252

I’ve got / had the Moto g5 now for about 2 months – was really good ’till I dropped it down the pan. It still mostly works on wifi apart from the phone reception receivery bit so now useless as a phone.

I intend to buy another when I get paid…

dannybgoode

Huawei P10 Lite looks a decent phone. May get one as a back up but currently flirting with a refurbed Sony Z5. Going rate seems to be around £170 and it’s a damned good phone for the money.

Go up in budget and £340 will get you an LG G6 on Amazon currently. Really good phone for the money.

disben

I have a G5S and just gave my wife a G5. Both great phones – G5 – better camera and two sim cards (slightly smaller). G5S – faster processor. New thumb reader works perfectly fine and also acts as the three soft buttons at the bottom of the android screen so makes better use of screen.

Personally wouldn’t bother looking for an alternative if you already are used to it (I had 3rd gen Moto G before this one).

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have a Moto G 2nd Generation. I bought a Moto G4, but it was massive, and essentially too big for my pocket. I then bought a Moto G5, but again I found it too big. I want 5″ diagonal size phone with “modern” processor and memory, but there is seemingly nothing in my price range.

timba
    Free Member

Nokia 6? Nokia 5 is good value

Kryton57

New thumb reader works perfectly fine and also acts as the three soft buttons at the bottom of the android screen so makes better use of screen.

G5 does that too, its an option in the Moto settings.

mikey74
    Free Member

Personally wouldn’t bother looking for an alternative if you already are used to it (I had 3rd gen Moto G before this one).

I’m only really going to consider alternatives if there’s anything that is significantly better, without paying significantly more.

CraigW
    Free Member

I just got a Nokia 6, as an upgrade from a Moto G 1st gen. Cost £150 on PAYG.
    Definitely a nice improvement. It is quite a bit bigger, but slightly slimmer. Bigger screen is good. Thumbprint reader works nicely. Has the option of using 2 SIMs, but one goes in place of the MicroSD card.

It is pretty much vanilla Android, and will probably get updates to the latest version.

Caher

Just upgraded my g3 to G5S. It’s faster but a bit annoying as I needed to do this just to get my apps to work. It’s a good phone but it’s the G3 3 years ago really.

matt_outandabout

OP – have you tried a hard reset to clear memory?

I think I remember reading on here the G5 lacked a compas or something similar…? Can anyone confirm?

Youngest_oab has G5, middle_oab G4, I’ve a G3 my father a G2….

I’m tempted by G5s or G5 plus, or Nokia 6 next month, again I’m just running out of app space regularly.

I’ve just bought a Nokia 8 for one of them yesterday, Argos eBay box open but brand new for £276…. It may be worth a hunt around for similar…

nasher
    Free Member

Got a dual sim G5S plus for 200 euros, great phone for the money..

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Maze Alpha.

sweepy
    Free Member

I returned my g5 cos of no compass

rickmeister

Bit leftfield but Mrs Rickmeister has just got a Blackview BV8000 pro
    Android, waterproof 5″ screen, ruggedised but not brick sized… Gets good reviews. Dual sim etc etc…

Rated as an outdoorsy phone, excellent gps and batterylife.

Specs here

dannybgoode

Lenovo P2 is another good shout. Decent spec _ snapdragon 625, 4gb system ram, 64GB of storage and most importantly a 5100mah battery so even heavy users will get a couple of days off a charge.

Currently £225 ish new on eBay.

ampthill

My wife felt she needed a rugged phone. So she went for a Samsung xcover 4. About 200. Lower spec than the Motorola but they have dropped any weatherr sealing. It’s a bit plasticity but works just fine

docgeoffyjones

Moto E4 might be worth a look.

Rich
    Free Member

Moto G5s is £179 at John Lewis at the moment.

mikey74
    Free Member

Isn’t the battery life on the G5s supposed to be a bit pants? I understand it’s one of the reasons they brought out the Plus version.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve been looking around for a similar phone and I don’t think there’s much around that’s significantly better than the G5S Plus for the money – unless you’re happy to go direct to China, in which case the Xiaomi Mi A1 is worth a look. Good specs, runs vanilla Android and I think about £150 at the moment. But then you’ve no real backup if it goes wrong…

bigjim

I have a Mi A1, it’s excellent so far apart from a hiss on low impedance headphones, about half the price of the g5 plus.

sadmadalan

Another one who has gone from a Moto G3 to a G5S. Very happy now. Took a little time to move everything across and set it up, but mainly because of moving to Android 7.1.1 Paid £176 off Amazon at the start of December.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘New mobile phone’ is closed to new replies.