Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New mid-range road bike suggestions?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

I’m looking to buy a new road bike. I’ve had 2 in the past, both Specialized which I got on well with. Generally I thought the 2010 Allez was nice but felt a bit “budget” as the wheels seemed quite flexy, the headset became loose/worn and knocked, and the gears (sora groupset I think) started to skip. That was with only around 800 miles on it. Considering it’s a bike I’ll be riding every day I’m willing to spend a bit more on it this time for a more solid build, probably £600-700.

What bikes should I be looking at? I’ve seen some nice prices on Pauls Cycles for bikes such as the Cannondale Synapse Tiagra. Or theres the CAAD8 for an extra £80 which has a full carbon fork. Ribble also seem to be pretty good value for money but they have so many options and I’m a bit clueless when it comes to road bikes. For me the most important thing is reliability and longevity, particularly with the gearing and wheels/hubs. I don’t race and probably never will so really a light weight bike isn’t that important – my rides are mainly for exercise and getting some local miles in 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What about 2nd hand? You could get a bit of a stunner for £700

Or

A Cyclocross bike? If you’re not racing then I dont see it being a problem, bit more versatile – you can take it off road.

I’ve recently swapped my road stuff onto a Surly Crosscheck and it feels almost as quick on the road – its only on the short, steep climbs (that you ride in the big ring) that I’ve noticed it to feel slower.

_tom_
    Free Member

Not really keen on a cx bike. Considered it at one point but our local off road stuff is too uninspiring and I’d rather just get a road bike and have it be best at that.

What bikes are worth looking at for £700 second hand? Only thing I’m worried about is that a “serious” bike like this will probably have had a lot of miles and thus wear & tear on it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mieszko
    Free Member

Just need to check the condition like with any other bike. 1000 dry miles on a road bike is not big milage and would not mean the bike would be knackered. Right now £600-700 would buy you a brand new 9sp sora or tiagra equipped bike. Second hand you could probably get a mint 105 or ultegra one, might have an aluminium frame but your budget in the second hand market is serious money. If you still have a road frame and fork then Merlin had some cheap 105 groupsets. Check planet x and boardman range online, boardman can be found for reasonable money on ebay. Another thing worth mentioning is running costs. Shimano started doing 10sp Tiagra so cassettes and chains will be cheaper. Running a 10sjuz road bike is no longer expensive. Tiagra is a groupset that imo works better then sora, going from Sora to Tiagra was a big difference, from Tiagra to Ultegra not as much. Right now should be a good time to buy a road bike as the prices went back to normal level as during summer I’ve seen some serious POS bikes go for loads of money as the weather was good.

aP
    Free Member

I don’t understand how you managed to do so much damage to a road bike in less than 800 miles of riding, as you’ll kill your next bike in the same time. I’d suggest replacing the headset, getting some better wheels and adjusting the gears rather than spending money on a replacement bike.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Talk to Switchback cycles in Woking – fully independent Giant dealer.
    My TC2 is mega and was ridiculously cheap as I went for previous years model that was sat on the shelf – £1200 for £400 😀

njee20
    Free Member

£600-£700 is barely more than the basic Allez you already have. Save a bit longer and buy something better. A service will sort your problems out.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I would definetely go second hand at that price range. You could get something SERIOUSLY nice for that amount of money.

Like this (a little bit over budget, but it was the first thing that came up on ebay) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kuota-Kharma-Full-Carbon-Road-Racing-Bike-ULTEGRA-Beautiful-Italian-Bike-/150721313595?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2317b0bb3b
    Or this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Planet-X-Carbon-Road-Bike-Shimano-Ultegra-/120832290486?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item1c222a6eb6

nammynake
    Free Member
    sambob
    Free Member

Those ebay bikes are awesome.

billyboy
    Free Member

I have one of the last 2010/11 Trek 2.3’s in a triple/56cm (suit someone about 6′), which I bought when they had them on offer a few months back. Carbon fork, Trek’s posher alu frame, black 10spd 105 kit, black and silver colour. It was the best of the bikes I test rode but after doing slightly less than 800 miles on it, I’ve satisfied myself that my biking needs are better served by the hybrid I already had.

It was £1300, in the sale it was £1100. I might go for a reasonable offer on the top end of what you wanted to spend!!!!!!

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t understand how you managed to do so much damage to a road bike in less than 800 miles of riding, as you’ll kill your next bike in the same time. I’d suggest replacing the headset, getting some better wheels and adjusting the gears rather than spending money on a replacement bike.

Dunno but I’ve read other reviews from people saying that the stock spesh headsets are nothing special so maybe just not very good. As for the gears well I occasionally ride in the wet so maybe that explains it (not full on rain just wet ground). And the wheels weren’t broken, just felt a bit flexy when you stand up and pedal – sometimes the front one would scuff the brake pads. I would replace these parts if I still had the bike – sold it to help fund my trip to Canada but I’m back home now!

Thanks for your input though everyone. I think I might look around used then, but the CAAD8 is tempting me with the price its at on Pauls at the minute, especially if there’s not a huge performance difference between Tiagra and Ultegra.

Billyboy thanks for the offer but I’m 5’9″ with short legs so I’m looking for a 54cm.

njee20
    Free Member

Dunno but I’ve read other reviews from people saying that the stock spesh headsets are nothing special so maybe just not very good

I’ve done more than 5000 miles on my Allez (which I use as a winter bike, so it’s only used in crap conditions!) and the headset’s absolutely fine!

The second hand ones oop there are cracking, that Planet X looks great, you’d get good money for the wheels too if you wanted sommat a bit more user friendly!

billyboy
    Free Member

Spesh headsets are pretty naff on a lot of their road bikes and their Sirrus series of bikes, which is a shame because I think they are ok bits of kit. The ones I’ve seen consist of a headtube designed for an integrated system, which has a non integrated headset with cups forced up inside. This has pretty naff caged bearings that are not replaceable so you have to whack the whole unit out and put a new one in. They also do not seal very well so water and crap seems to enter easier than on other set ups. If you have the top of the range models with a proper integrated system with sealed bearings they are slightly better but again crap and water seem to get in and, as the new owner of a 2nd hand Sirrus Carbon frame, I’m going to be taking it apart a couple of times a year to clean and grease it in order to keep it going.

rootes1

Or theres the CAAD8 for an extra £80 which has a full carbon fork.

just what I got from Evans for £700 in a price match – best deal for a bike with proper STI’s – sora has those sill buttons you can not reach for the drops

NOW you can get one for £589 from Triton
    http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/m14b280s6p7676/CANNONDALE_CAAD_8_Tiagra_2011

rides nice – all I have changes was the tyres.

they have the 105 version for £795 – 105 is def better than tiagra – 10 speed, better sti (all cables under tape) and a much better rear mech

njee20
    Free Member

The ones I’ve seen consist of a headtube designed for an integrated system, which has a non integrated headset with cups forced up inside.

You mean an internal or semi-integrated headset?

_tom_
    Free Member

Cheers rootes, are Triton reputable and any idea how good their after sales service is? That price seems hard to beat.

atlaz
    Free Member

They’ve got focus cayo ultegra in my local supermarket for around 900 quid. Slight problem is it’s Luxembourg 🙂

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

My LBS has a few second hand bikes for sale. You can see the details at the bottom left of the home page in the facebook part. *They will be sold very quickly

Clicky

* I don’t work for them BTW.

iainc

Could you stretch to £800 ??

Most recent CyclingPlus testing a handful of £1000 bikes and 2012 Giant Defy came out miles in front. It has full 105. If you ordered one from Dales in Glasgow this week all their bikes are 20% off, even if not in stock.

I know ‘cos I got 20% off an out of stock carbon Defy this afternoon

rootes1

Cheers rootes, are Triton reputable and any idea how good their after sales service is? That price seems hard to beat.

honestly no idea.. i got mine from Evans on a price match (though when they were not offering such a good deal!!) – as I look after my own bikes normally not to concerned about aftercare/servicing…

that said, not heard anything bad about Triton – anyhow at that price it is a no brainer…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New mid-range road bike suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.