Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • New Mercedes toy!
  • JulianA
    Free Member

After posting on here about buying an old Merc – and getting a few pointers and some advice we have finally taken possession of a 1985 Mercedes 280CE.

It’s lovely – needs some work (a few quid!) but very pleased! A world of fun and/or financial pain awaits…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Liking the look of that. What is needing done on yours?

LoCo
    Free Member

Have been looking at those lately too 😀 lovely and bomb proof if looked after

JulianA
    Free Member

Bodywork – some rust in the wings etc and the interior needs fettling but nice otherwise. Full service just done (including brake fluid and coolant replacement plus spark plugs etc) and a new MOT.

Picture replaced…

JulianA
    Free Member

Also, leaky sunroof (very common, apparently) has been sealed up – but will be fixed in due course. Bodywork first, then interior, then…

JulianA
    Free Member

LoCo – Member
    Have been looking at those lately too lovely and bomb proof if looked after

Go for it LoCo – insurance just over a hundred quid for 3000 miles per year fully comp (£50 excess, £70 for the windscreen, agreed value) from Ageas via Footman James). Cheap as chips to buy the car if you are prepared to spend a few quid fixing it and looks great we think!

£230 per year to tax – ten years too young to be tax exempt, sadly. Still, that’s only £20 per month!

timber

They keep coming up in my searches for alternatives to replace the 944.

JulianA
    Free Member

timber – Member
    They keep coming up in my searches for alternatives to replace the 944.

Quite a different sort of car, I should think.

Always fancied a 944 but this was too good to turn down.

timber

Eclectic taste in cars.
    My searches include everything from Pandas to Range Rovers.

JulianA
    Free Member

timber – Member
    Eclectic taste in cars.
    My searches include everything from Pandas to Range Rovers.

I can recommend you someone who has everything from Trabants to Jaguars for sale – and an Austin Princess! Also a very nice 3.6 XJS… Fancied the XJS, too…

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Anybody here ever read a very small magazine called jalopy ? It was about the joys of buying and running second hand “older” cars . Was a very good read .

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The other picture is better, Julian!

Looks grand!

JulianA
    Free Member

Thanks Captain!

It appears that Jalopy is no more, beermonster.

matt_outandabout

Liking that. Very relaxed and smooth approach to motoring.

jools182
    Free Member

I really like them

A guy where I used to live drives around in one of them, he’s also got an old Chevy step side truck

After seeing his merc I started looking around for one for myself, they were all out of budget though

JulianA
    Free Member

@jools182 – what’s the budget?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

They’ve always been top of my list as a stylish classic that won’t encourage me to speed.

lovely.

JulianA
    Free Member

simons_nicolai-uk – Member
    They’ve always been top of my list as a stylish classic that won’t encourage me to speed.

lovely.

Nope, not quick but has a reasonable turn of speed if you floor it.

Currently won’t tick over when hot but hoping it just needs its mixture adjusted or something easy like that.

We love it! 280SLC is next on the list when this one’s fixed…

jools182
    Free Member

Thought you would be able to get one for around 2 or 3 grand

JulianA
    Free Member

jools182 – Member
    Thought you would be able to get one for around 2 or 3 grand

Happy to confirm that that is the case.

Expect to spend another grand or so fettling it but you can get a viable, useable car for what you thought.

I can put you in touch with the guys we bought ours from if you are interested. I’m sure they’d be happy to try to source one for you.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Classic car! Very nice O.P.

bedmaker

I loved the look of these for years, so I bouhgt one a couple of years ago. Now I still like the look of them, as long as it belongs to someone else 😳

JulianA
    Free Member

Frankenstein – Member
    Classic car! Very nice O.P.

Thank you Frankenstein!

Happy to report that we’ve just been out in it and the tickover was fine this time. Gets a few looks from people and it was very nice when someone came over and said ‘That’s nice’ and had a chat!

Planning to take it to Prescott Hill Climb and the Goodwood Revival (or Festival of Tweed’ as a friend put it) if possible.

If anyone has a spare wheel for it I’d be very pleased to make them an offer…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘New Mercedes toy!’ is closed to new replies.