Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New Mavic UST rims – will my Conti tyres be OK? Do I need UST tyres?
  • cheshirecat
    Free Member

Just invested in a set of new wheels – Mavic XM819 UST rims on Hope Pro2 hubs. Thinking about running tubeless with Stans sealant and existing non-UST Conti Mountain King tyres.

Looking for experiences on using my existing tyres with these rims. Failing that I may invest in some new UST tyres; looking at Maxxis or Conti again.

Thoughts on existing tyres or which new ones?

Thanks, Paul

neil853
    Free Member

I can only say that with UST tyres they inflate beautifully, with non UST tyres i require a compressor, i now tend to stick to UST tyres

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Neil – do you use any sealant in the UST tyres?

I was thinking that rather than bodge, I would go for UST. Not cheap though at £60 a pair.

Any suggestions on the tyre type?

glenh
    Free Member

I'd say if you've got ust rims, then go with tubeless tyres.

Normal tyres will just be more faff for no real benefit (if you think ust are too heavy, then get something with just a tubeless bead, like bonty tubeless-ready or specialized 2-bliss).

I also had a standard tyre completely dismount from and 819 when run tubeless, although there was a crash involved…

glenh
    Free Member

P.s. You don't have to use sealant in ust, but you might as well put a little in to help seal punctures.

robarnold
    Free Member

I found Conti Non-UST tyres to be very flimsy when run tubeless, the sidewalls seemed to be more porous than most. That was a race king anyway, perhaps something like a Rubber Queen 2.4 would be more durable.

In my experience even running 'tubeless ready' tyres from the likes of Bonty and Spesh don't really cut it, I simply find them too fragile. Now i've gone over to Schwalbe USTs i've never looked back [scrabbles round for the closest piece of wood to touch]

D0NK

My first foray into tubeless was 819 with a conti vert non ust and sealent.
    Couldn't inflate at first but put a foam draught excluder strip in the groove of the rim and it went up fine. First downhill of the first ride I ripped the tyre. Contis are pretty flimsy IME.
    Proper UST are easier to inflate and tougher.
    non ust should be OK if you aren't hard on your tyres – if you regularly pinch your tubes stay well away from non ust tyres.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

OK, thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like an order to CRC for UST tyres is on the way.

Saccades
    Free Member

the halo choir master UST on crc are excellent all round tyres and are very cheap, been running a set for a year or so now, like them so much I'm converting the other bike over to the same set up.

neil853
    Free Member

I use UST MK's on mine with sealent and have had no problems, only issue is that the UST MK's are not the black chilli compound so don't seem to last as long 🙄

I thik my next tyres will be either RQ's or Maxxis HR and Larrsen

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Just received my new wheels. Installed the Maxxis UST tyres with some Stans sealant and they just went up first time with a track pump. No faff at all. Think UST tyres was the right choice – thanks for the advice.

neil853
    Free Member

that how i learnt my lesson, i definately think UST tyres are the way to go. Which tyres did you get?

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Maxxis Advantage – seemed to get good reviews for the type of riding I'll be doing.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Go UST – non UST require compressor if they will even go up.

Try Maxxis High Roller 2.3 front Advantage 2.1 rear with sealant – no punctures this year so far 🙂 Mine like yours go up easy with track pump – no faff.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Caught this one late,

Good choice, don't fudge it all up by using tyres that'll compromise the seal. You must WITHOUT DOUBT …
    A) use ust tyres that go 'ping/thump/thudd' or what ever you like to use as a descriptive noun as the bead locates into the UST rim. I failed to do this on my virgin outing and I have a nice little dent in my front 819 as the tyre 'burped' off! Don't worry, read on….
    B) Pure in Stan's, spin wheel (post inflation; I use a standard Track pump…never had a problem inflating so long as you hold the wheel off the ground as you blast the air in), turning onto it's side as it rotates.
    C) Check the line (on tyre) that sits just above the rim all the way round to ensure even seating of the bead.
    D) Deflate on ride to optimum pressure.
    E) Go out and hammer them, I have LUST up front (very happy with it) and what I and others considered and a pants tyre on the rear…Conti MT King UST. Yet, keeping an eye on pressure b4 each ride as it does 'seep' air, it's been a great all round tyre that's performed very well over diff terrain. I'm sure GWT will support my claim of hammering rocky Peak trails without so much as 'whiff' of air from the rubber 🙂

F) Ensure, with your new found confidence, that you 'Unlock' your rear unit pre-down hill hammer as they can indeed be bent…my rims currently feature a front 'wobble' and a rear 'bob' respectively.
    Hope this helps you, and saves you some time and heart ache 🙂
    Forgive me repeating what's gone before…I feel 'cleansed' now 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New Mavic UST rims – will my Conti tyres be OK? Do I need UST tyres?’ is closed to new replies.