Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • new Mavic Askiums, very slight play in hub ? normal ?
  • iainc

Fitted new wheels to road bike and there is a tiny bit of play in the hubs, particularly the rear, which tightening the QR won’t remove. Is this normal on these cartridge bearings or is it a back to LBS ?

teasel
    Free Member

I have the same thing in my front hub; a very slight amount of play when I gently move it side to side. I don’t notice in use aside from one particularly rough descent where it seems to almost rattle. I’ve been meaning to nip it up just haven’t got around to it yet.

As to whether or not it’s normal – never had on previous sets.

iainc

thanks, will have a wee look and tighten – easily done on a catridge I guess ?

andysredmini
    Free Member

I had the same on mine. Took them back to the shop who tightened them up.

teasel
    Free Member

easily done on a catridge I guess ?

Yeah – lock nut/spacer/preload nut. Don’t go mental, you want just a tiny, tiny amount of play.

iainc

thanks, I had a look and dont have right sized spanners so will pop back to shop, cheers

fasthaggis

Is this the plastic spanners with the pins ?
    Mine came with the wheels.
    I found that they do need a wee tweek now and again ,if you are taking the wheels off an on a lot.

iainc

dunno, mine came from LBS boxed with tubes and tyres and skewers but nothing else. They look like 16mm locknuts and then smaller preload nuts

fasthaggis

Ah right ,different type of Mavic hubs to mine,I thought they looked the same.

Rockplough
    Free Member

I’ve had Aksiums and Ksyriums and both had this. Apparently the tiny amount of play is normal, but not so much that you notice it when riding.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘new Mavic Askiums, very slight play in hub ? normal ?’ is closed to new replies.