Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • new macbook pro & updates / broadband use
  • ed34
    Free Member

gf got a macbook pro last week and this week have had email from our broadband provider saying we’ve gone over our 10g limit which has never happened before.

Havent been watching any films or downloading music so am wondering about the macbook.

We’ve synced it to an ipod, would it copy the music from the ipod or redownload all the purchased tracks from apple?

Also its said theres updates to a few built in apps like iphoto, imovie maybe these were large updates.

We’ve put a load of photos on as well, will it automatically be uploading the to the apple cloud thing? How do i check this, and is there anything else i can check that might be using lots of broadband as dont want to go over the limit again and pay charges.?

thanks

CaptJon
    Free Member

iCloud has a function which automatically downloads iTunes purchases, pics etc when devices have a wifi signal. turn it off

ed34
    Free Member

how do i do that? i’m sure macs are great when you get used to them but after 16 years of windows i’m struggling to work some stuff out!

Screen is amazing though, and my wireless printer installed in a flash compared to on win xp which took nearly an hour and lots of failed udates!

jonk

There has been quite a few large updates recently to things like osx, iphoto, imovie nothing like 10g’s though.

batfink
    Free Member

Hmmmm, even if it did ALL of this – it probably wouldn’t be 10g’s. Sounds like somebody is piggybacking on your brouadband connection.

mboy
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be surprised if being a new machine, there were 3-4GB of updates it needed to do straight away. Then unless you tell it not to, if you’ve synced stuff with iCloud it will be uploading it all there automatically.

I love my Mac, but the size of the updates has got ridiculous! Fast broadband connection with no limits is pretty much essential now IMO.

ed34
    Free Member

dont think its been 10g worth of just update stuff, just that our normal limit is 10g and this is the first time we’ve gone over this amount.

So how do i stop the icloud thing from syncing? I’m not sure what we told it to do / not do when we first turned it on and it set itself up.

Edit – do i need icloud, we only have one macbook, no iphone, no macs at work.

CaptJon
    Free Member

go to system preferences on each device which uses it – there will be an option for iCloud in there. On iOS devices it is in ‘Settings’ –> ‘Store’

Drac

As mentioned there’s been some big updates the last few weeks easily 4G worth. With that and your normal usage you’ll easily go over 10G.

10G is a very poor limit it might be cheap almost makes Broadband pointless.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘new macbook pro & updates / broadband use’ is closed to new replies.