Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • New Mac – Pro Vs Air??
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

I’ve got a two year old 13″ aluminium macbook which has simply been stunning and 100% reliable. I’ve come into a bit of money and after I’ve treat myself to a new steed I’m tempted to buy a new mac and give old one to daughter.

I really like the idea of the air having the DDR memory bank but the equivalent pro has 250Gb more storage etc.

anyone got a new air with the DDR set up??

seosamh77
    Free Member

If I had a 2 year old stunning 100% reliable mac and £1000 to spend, personally, I’d buy a new bike!

edit: d’oh, really should read the whole post! 😀

yossarian
    Free Member

I’d get a new bike rather than a steed.

sc-xc

I’d buy a rig…but that’s just me.

dusterbenny
    Free Member

Pro easily. The airs are under specced and a bit gimmicky imo.
    Got me a pro bout a month ago now and it’s fantastic.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

If I had a 2 year old stunning 100% reliable mac and £1000 to spend, personally, I’d buy a new bike!

I am, as per original post. My daughter needs lap top so she will get the original mac

iDave
    Free Member

So you’re buying a horse, a bike and a macbook?

tang
    Free Member

imac and an ipad.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I am, as per original post. My daughter needs lap top so she will get the original mac

Selective reading! My apologies! 😀

vinnyeh

We’ve just bought the 11″ /128gb job for my wife. A lot nicer all round than my white macbook. Obvious limitations are that unless you buy one of the new Apple displays you’ll need an adaptor to run an external monitor, and that it’s extremely useful to have wireless access to additional storage, with no ethernet, 2usb ports and limited onboard storage. Do spec it as highly as you need at purchase too, there’s no user upgradable parts. I’m not even sure whether Apple will retrospectively upgrade drives etc.

A real luxury item but I’m glad that we waited for these to appear rather than buying the small macbook pro which was going to be the original choice.

Oh, and side by side, I reckon the portability of the 11″ is more desirable than the increased resolution of the 13″.

simon_g

imac and an ipad.

Works for me.

Air vs Pro – if you can live with limited RAM and local storage plus no optical drive, the Air is brilliant and makes the 13″ Pro look a bit silly. If you do need a heavier-duty machine, bigger screen, optical, etc then a 15/17″ Pro.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i was going to buy a new 13″ air, then i stuck 8gb ram in my macbook pro, and it was like having a new laptop, for under 50 quid

i bought a refurb 11″ macbook air from currys (with a 10% off discount code) for £450 quid, i used it for less than 3 hours and decided the screen was too small,

do not go any smaller on the screen than what you have, you will hate it

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

macpro all the way !

dirtyrider
    Free Member

the air is the new pro (pro will be phased out within 2 years) optical media is dead,

CaptJon
    Free Member

MBP

maxray
    Free Member

I have got the 13″ mbp with 8gig ram and a 256gig SSD. the solid state drive really does improve start up speed etc. My only slight gripe is the weight although it is really solid so will take that trade off i think.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I bought my Macbook Pro a few months ago and was thinking the same. I went with the Pro because it is much more powerful, more versatile and not really that much bigger/heavier.

The air is lovely to look at, but if you need to use a CD drive then it adds space/weight instantly.

I was hoping to get a SSD, but didn’t have time to wait the extra couple of days that it would have taken to deliver.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

the air is the new pro (pro will be phased out within 2 years) optical media is dead,

Can’t see that in this country until broadband provision gets a lot better than it currently is. Downloading movies isn’t a realistic option where we are, so DVDs are still the media of choice.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Can’t see that in this country until broadband provision gets a lot better than it currently is. Downloading movies isn’t a realistic option where we are, so DVDs are still the media of choice.

There are areas of the US and Canada worse than the UK, but that didn’t stop them making Lion download only.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

are removing the optical drive from the mac mini

they were the first to ditch FDD were they not?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘New Mac – Pro Vs Air??’ is closed to new replies.