Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New LT Hardtail. Recommendations please.
  • andywarner
    Free Member

My mate has £1K and a cycle to work scheme voucher to play with. We’re going to have a look at a few bikes at Bike Scene in Guisborough tomorrow. Most of our riding is North York Moors and Dalby but nothing much over 20-25 miles. He recently had an operation on his wrist so wants some big travel up front. Let me know your recommendations/experiences please.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

456 frame, RS coil Sektors, Easton kit, SLX drivetrain, Hope hoops on Flow.

Would be a bit over 1k but not much

andywarner
    Free Member

and he doesn’t want to have to build it himself!!

Cotters
    Free Member

You can still pick up the odd 2010 Orange Crush for about £1k. I have one and love it 8)

MrNutt
    Free Member

+1 for the Orange Crush

ahwiles
    Free Member

the genesis altitude is lovely (and steel), the genesis core is also very good, cheaper, and aluminium*.

(*but i haven’t ridden one)

wl
    Free Member

+1 Orange Crush, or second-hand SubZero.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

My mate has £1K and a cycle to work scheme voucher to play with

rules out 2nd hand or bargains doesn’t it?

billybob
    Free Member

orange crush or p7 both have great frames that will stand the test of time & be worth upgrading as components wear, unlike the 456 which is a poor frame to start with.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

well it rides well and is good value but other than that it’s pretty poor 😉

Cletus

Marin Rocky Ridge – I have a 2007 model and love it

Normally £1300 but on sale for £1000 at Bike Scene

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Marin-Rocky-Ridge-761-31-2.html

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

+1 Orange crush

mboy
    Free Member

unlike the 456 which is a poor frame to start with.

Based on what? An old wives tale about it being made from old gas pipes… 😕

Sure, On One’s aren’t the lightest, or the best finished, but they are killer value, ride exceptionally well and they’re always in demand 2nd hand too…

andywarner
    Free Member

I’ve got a p7 but they’re a bit pricey now. Paid 1k 2yrs ago for a pro but they’re half asmuch again now. Love mine tho – don’t think i’ll ever need another bike.

MrNutt
    Free Member

or a second-hand SubZero

good luck trying to find one of them 🙂

nickc

Is the Crush still so stiff it makes Chameleon feel like a sofa by comparison? Not perhaps a great recommendation for a chap with a recently repaired wrist?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

billybob – Member

orange crush or p7 both have great frames that will stand the test of time & be worth upgrading as components wear, unlike the 456 which is a poor frame to start with.

sam42
    Free Member

pig?

edit, oh full bike? £1000…
    custom build a blue pig.

billybob
    Free Member

Based on what? An old wives tale about it being made from old gas pipes…

Not trolling – a friend had one for about 2months before he got rid, when riding it felt dead & heavy, no feel to it all.

I always thought the way the way to buy a bike when buying complete was to buy the bike with the best frame, as when the components inevitably wear out & need to be replaced they can be upgraded….

andywarner
    Free Member

so – reckon I’ll nudge him towards the crush then. billybob – you said something mildy controversial. therefore, in stw-land, you are trolling. 🙂

Seggons
    Free Member

charge blender/duster?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

billybob you/your mate are definitely in a minority. STW is a bit of a 456 fansite, with most posts along the lines of “since I bought it i stopped riding my ££££ full susser”.

Most also get specced way beyond what their price would suggest-mine has full XT, King, Hope, Revelations which is fairly typical.

And its a riot.

billybob
    Free Member

Most also get specced way beyond what their price would suggest-mine has full XT, King, Hope, Revelations which is fairly typical.

And its a riot.

Glad you like it, mountain biking is all about fun – I wasn’t deliberately trying to offend! Just expressing an opinion 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

I always thought the way the way to buy a bike when buying complete was to buy the bike with the best frame, as when the components inevitably wear out & need to be replaced they can be upgraded….

“Best” is a very subjective word to use I mountain biking… The “best” frame to one person may be totally unsuitable to another! The 456 isn’t going to win the lightweight xc race bike award, but as a fun all round bike that can be ridden as hard and fast as most full suspension bikes most of the time… It’s up there, and certainly is possibly the best for VFM…

If the 456 is a no go for being overweight, check out a Genesis Altitude… They do a complete bike that comes in under £1k, deore/slx, recons etc… Nice bike for sure, but not quite the bargain that the 456 is with fox forks etc…

takisawa2

Orange P7S can be had at a few places online for about £950.
    I’m sure one of them would do the bike scheme.

andywarner
    Free Member

He went for a Scott Aspect 10, which isn’t really LT at all but looks a nice well-specced bike for £899.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘New LT Hardtail. Recommendations please.’ is closed to new replies.