• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by was.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New long waterproof jacket
  • Jakester
    Free Member

Hello all, I wish to plumb the depths of the forum collective wisdom relating to waterproof jackets.

I am looking for a replacement for my Mountain Equipment Changabang jacket, which I procured from this very forum some years ago and which has been excellent. Sadly the seams are failing, and despite repairs it seems like it’s on its way out.

It has been excellent for two reasons – it is very waterproof (when treated correctly) and it is also very breathable, which is important if, like me, you sweat more than a priest in a child protection seminar.

I don’t really do *extreme* walking up and down large mountains, or anything like that, but I do walk quite a lot every day in all weathers, which means for quite a lot of the time I get very rained upon.

The Changabang has one excellent feature – its length. It is a deeply unfashionable 3/4 length, rather than the waist-length jackets that seem to be everywhere nowadays. When it’s really bad, it’s paired with waterproof trousers, but for walking to and from work the length means my legs don’t get completely saturated.

So – I’d like a very breathable very waterproof long-ish jacket. Not averse to any of the 3-in-1 jackets but owing to running very hot for most of the time will probably not wear the combined thing more than a few days a year, so would rather spend on a decent shell.

ton

I have on of these for sale…..it is great.

http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk/waterproofs/sligachan.html

Jakester
    Free Member

ton – Member
    I have on of these for sale…..it is great.

http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk/waterproofs/sligachan.html

Interesting. Specs?

Veering slightly (okay very) OT I see you are looking for a flat bar road bike. I have a Roadrat Alfine that’s not seeing much use of late if it might be of interest?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Finisterre stuff is pricy but very good. I have one of their Anabatic shells and a couple of their gilets (all picked up in the sale) and they’ve all been brilliant. The anabatic is genuinely one of the best waterproofs I’ve owned, and I live on Dartmoor so know a lot about rain. 🙂

This gets very good reviews:

Men's Jackets

Or for something more traditional:

http://www.finisterreuk.com/shop/mens/clothing/mens-outerwear/rain/stroma-mac-m.html

ton

jokester
    I am interested in the roadrat, more details please.
    email is in my profile.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Another changabang?
    I have a Kongur MRT jacket which I like for the reasons you mention above.

binners

I thought we’d all agreed that from now on all any self respecting forumites will only be wearing one of these

DaRC_L

I thought we’d all agreed that from now on all any self respecting forumite

What about the self abusing ones, what will they be wearing?

Jakester
    Free Member

ton – Member
    jokester
    I am interested in the roadrat, more details please.
    email is in my profile

Will do – will probably be tonight though.

chrisdw – Member
    Another changabang?
    I have a Kongur MRT jacket which I like for the reasons you mention above.

Would love one, but the new one is waist length only.

Will check out the Kongur.

binners – Member
    I thought we’d all agreed that from now on all any self respecting forumites will only be wearing one of these

Ah, I have low self esteem so won’t be.

Sprocketjockey, will have a look at the Finisterre stuff too.

Thanks so far – any more ideas?

pedroball
    Free Member
    Jakester
    Free Member

pedroball – Member
    This full length arcteryx, at a mere £1,400 ?-

Bargain – I’ll take two!

chrisdw
    Free Member

Rohan hilltop.

Or one of the red ones the French ski instructors wear. No idea where you’d get one of them or who makes them tho.

m360
    Free Member

Burghaus Cornice, they do a 3/4 version or a long version.

And you can zip a fleece in if required.

onandon
    Free Member

Arcteryx have some other, not so spendy 3/4 coats which may fit the bill.
    The parsec is very nice quality.

Jakester
    Free Member

Cheers all, some good ideas.

was
    Free Member

If you don’t need a hood (or have the skills to attach a zip-off one from another coat) then military surplus Gore Tex is cost effective:

RAF £15:

Royal Navy £25:

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/shop/jackets.html amongst many others.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New long waterproof jacket’ is closed to new replies.