Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New Laptop – Partitioning Hard Disk
  • jlc
    Free Member

Hi, Just got a new samsung laptop and it has requested to partition the hard disk and what percentage I want to split by. It is 500gb. I was going to go with 50:50. Any better ideas? Tips? Cant seem to avoid doing it, as that is not an option. Thanks

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

jlc – i'd go with that.

vrapan
    Free Member

If it is going to be installing the OS in one of those then do it 60-400. Put the OS on the smaller one leave the other for files. That way whenever you have to reinstall windows no need to wipe your data along with the OS.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Id never do a 50 50 split.

Depends what you do, but you want all your files (i.e. music, pics, films etc) on one partition, then all your programs and operating system installed on the other, so you can format it if it all goes wrong without losing your valuable stuff which is on your other partition.

Depends what you have of each, but id do a 100gb, 400gb split if it was me.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Chaps we are talking half a terabyte split in two here! Its gonna take some filling up either way!

dmiller
    Free Member

Currently have 3tb of data on a box at work… 😉 although i dont get why you would partition a single hdd these days… Just back up properly and be done with it. Backing up to a different partition just leads to tears when your hdd dies.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New Laptop – Partitioning Hard Disk’ is closed to new replies.