Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New Krampus build…[warning 29+ and lucky son of a gun content]
  • BillOddie

Back in October I was lucky enough to win a Surly Krampus frame and fork at Tide To Tide.
    That combined with a frame going back to CRC for Warranty and being given vouchers in place of a new frame meant I could spec the new bike maybe not as a dream build but with no corners cut. I had a few nice bits from that cracked bike I could recycle too.

Build:
    Frame and Fork: Surly Krampus (L)
    Headset: Hope
    Stem: Truvativ Hussefelt (40mm) [Recycled, will be changed for a nicer one once I’m sure what length I want.}
    Bar: Race Face Atlas (785mm, low rise) [Recycled]
    Grips: ESI
    Saddle: Charge Spoon [Recycled]
    Shifter: Zee
    Rear Mech: Zee
    Cassette: XT
    Chain: XT
    Cranks: Hone
    Ring: Blackspire Snaggletooth Narrow/Wide (30T)
    Pedals: Shimano Deore “Trail” [Recycled]
    Hubs: Hope Pro II [Recycled]
    Rims: Velocity Dually
    Spokes: DT Swiss Alpine III
    Tyres: Maxxis Chronicle
    Tubes: Surly (will swap to Tubeless when I have the time)
    Brakes: XT with Discobrakes Rotors (180/160mm rotors)

It all went together pretty well with just a bit of an issue with the rear brake mount needing a washer under the caliper to make it clear the rotor.

First ride thoughts:
    Really chuffed with it! Those big tyres take a bit of getting up to speed but once going the feel like they will roll over anything. That being said the bike doesn’t feel cumbersome it still has some nimbleness.
    Maxxis Chronicles aren’t draggy, they are as fast rolling as a 2.1 semi-slick obviously the amount for the amount of drag is phenomenal.
    Mud clearance isn’t massive at the mack but it’s acceptable and I could pull the wheel back in the drop outs just a smidge.
    Zee/XT drivetrain is ace, and the XT brakes are bloody amazing!

Can’t wait to put some more miles in on it!

maximusmountain
    Free Member

That looks lovely! I like that metallic green.

Really want to get some 29+ tyres on my KM but its a bit pricey just to try.

drlex
    Free Member

Really liking that; with the minimal snow down here and distance from beaches, it’s the fattest bike I want.
    What’s with the duct-tape fork crown wrap? Is it a ghetto mud-wiper?

BillOddie

Drlex – Yep, it’s a ghetto fork mudgaurd it stops the mud that normally gets thrown forward off the tyre. Works great and costs pennies.

Maximusmountain – I have a KM too. If you want to run 3in tyres you need rims that are at least 35mm wide, making it quite expensive. I am tempted to try these wheels in KM with a Chronicle on the front and a 2.4 Ardent or something on the back.

drovercycles
    Free Member

That looks like a cracking build!

ajantom

If you want to run 3in tyres you need rims that are at least 35mm wide, making it quite expensive.

Not totally true, you can run them on narrower rims, but it gives the tyre a rounder profile.
    I built up an Alfine rear wheel for mine and used a Pacenti DL31 rim (31mm wide if you need to ask!) they’re currently £40 at On-One, so a fair bit cheaper than Duallys or Rabbitholes.
    Have been running it for a month or so now at my normal 15/16 psi and haven’t had any problems with it rolling on the rim.

MussEd
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

I lIke it too, but dear God THAT stem length 😆

BillOddie

It is a very short stem at 40mm, I think I might try the 60mm I have. It does handle nicely with the 40mm stem though!

CheesybeanZ

Like , trail fat its the futre .#

# could be just be my opinion .

BillOddie

Cheesybeanz, It’s more trail chubby! 😉 But it is the future!

vorlich
    Free Member

Nice. Glad to see you finally got this built.

I need to get a 29+ built for my Jones. I think the Chronicle looks ideal.

tootallpaul

I just joined the gang too…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qQgGQi]P1050475[/url] by too_tall_paul, on Flickr

I’m just getting my head round the “centrifugal” feeling of the steering – do you know what I mean?

stevious

Forgive my ignorance – what’s the black bit at the fork crown? Is it some kind of makeshift mudguard thing?

BillOddie

@Stevious, it’s exactly that! Stops the muck thrown forward off the front tyre.
    Very effective, weighs nowt and won’t scratch your forks.

Paceman
    Free Member

I’m just getting my head round the “centrifugal” feeling of the steering – do you know what I mean?

I’ve also found that with Maxxis Chronicles on my Krampus. Strangely it doesn’t happen with Surly Knards which are a much better tyre in my opinion (for anything except wet mud). Can’t wait to get the Knards back on when the trails dry out 😐

Can’t resist a photo, I actually have a very similar Krampus build to you BillOddie, apart from the Rabbit Hole rims. 29+ is the future I tell thee…

Tootallpaul, I like your Longitude a lot.

BillOddie

Paceman/Tootall, I got the self steery feeling on the Chronicles on hard surfaces at 15psi, but as long as there is something for the tyres to bite into it wasn’t noticeable.

I do plan on picking up some Knards for summer use though!

tootallpaul

Cheers Chaps- wanted make sure I hadn’t done something wrong…

Cannot wait to get out riding it…

Paceman
    Free Member

BillOddie, I agree the Chronicles are fine on the trails, they just feel strange on the tarmac like they’re steering for you. The sweet spot for me is 12psi front and 15psi rear, slightly more pressure than I use with the Knards.

Enjoy your Krampus but don’t tell too many people how good it is 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New Krampus build…[warning 29+ and lucky son of a gun content]’ is closed to new replies.