Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New Kettle = Bad Tea
  • mechanicaldope

After 10 years our trusty kettle had to flutter off to the great electrical scrap heap in the sky.

I got over that pretty quick but it’s replacement is causing a slight tinge to the taste and ruins what should otherwise be a delicious tea. I am not really sure how I can go on. No-one should have to live with substandard tea…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Our new kettle at Xmas advised boiling and discarding a full kettle of water at least 3 times before making a cuppa.

mechanicaldope

Yep. Done that. Has been getting on for a week now 🙁

giantalkali
    Free Member

Maybe it was your old kettle that made tea taste funny.

Have you tried gin?

mechanicaldope

There’s always Gin…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Buy some distilled vinegar (the clear stuff) fill kettle with 50/50 mix with water and boil. Then a couple of cycles of water. Worth a try, Mrs B swears by that as a cleaning agent

nickc

It’s the tea….

mechanicaldope

Yorkshires finest? Really?

mechanicaldope

Might have a look into the vinegar thing although do wonder if it will make the tea taste like a chip shop. Is that a bad thing?…

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Take it back and try a different model.

It is every British citizen’s right to have a quality cup of tea!

mechanicaldope

May take the teabags and a mug and see if they will let me test them out before swapping

Cougar

The vinegar thing is great for limescale removal (use white not malt). On a new kettle though, it shouldn’t be scaled up! Is it metal or plastic?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    It’s the tea….
    POSTED 35 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    mechanicaldope – Member
    Yorkshires finest? Really?

Well it’s probably other going to matter how bad your water is, never had a good cup of Yorkshire tea

Del

colleague bought the cheapest that tescos had that was still making tea taste bad 4 months later.
    it mysteriously boiled dry one day.
    now we have a nice bosch. perfect tea from the first.

Daffy

Bicarbonate of soda sorted ours. If it’s a plastic/glass/metal hybrid, it’s the release agent that you can taste.

mechanicaldope

It’s a stainless steel Russell Hobbs Cambridge. Fairly cheap but it only has to boil water. How hard could that be?!

biglee1

A bloke I worked with complained about is funny tasting tea and coffee for a couple of weeks, when he was quizzed in depth it transpired he used the flex from his old kettle for the new one as it fitted perfectly.
    He quite rightly assumed the flex for the new kettle was in the box and didn`t check.
    It wasn’t, the manufacturer had popped it inside a plastic bag in the kettle. So for 2 weeks he`d been stewing his flex in boiling water then drinking it with a slight coffee taste 😀 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Brilliant. I thought that was going to be a mains leads matter story, like what hi-fi buffs imagine…

oldnpastit

it’s the release agent that you can taste.

What’s the release agent?

toofarwest

Picolax?

Drac

Jizz.

StirlingCrispin

Release agents prevent adhesives from bonding to a surface.

In addition to the above, is the kettle actually boiling the water or just turning off when it’s warm?

Can take a couple of weeks to break in a new kettle. There’s probably a market in “broken-in” kettles.

richmars

Release agent is also used to release the plastic part from the mould.
    At least you’ve got a kettle. At work, that’s to dangerous so we have a hot water supply, which is only, as you’d expect, hot, not boiling.

mechanicaldope

Defo boiling. Just trying to power through and hope for the best until I can either pick up some vinegar or bicarb. We have one of those crappie water taps at work too. It’s saving grace is that it is so unreliable we normally have a kettle out too.

Superficial
    Free Member

I was in the same situation and noticed this a few weeks ago. I can’t notice it now. Either I’ve gotten used to it, or the taste has gone. All good either way.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘New Kettle = Bad Tea’ is closed to new replies.