Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New Kashima coated rp23 personal review on Lapierre
  • Merry christmas all. Mine has come early. I have been reading/researching the new rear rp23 since its release and finally took the plunge. I has to wait till the shop got one in stock but it was worth it

I ride a Lapierre xcontrol 410 2010. I read everyone opinions on the x control and the general consensus was ok bike but the fps suspension was the problem area. I don’t like to think I’m swayed on others opinions but I am a little (unconsciously – that’s how adverts work even though we all think we’re impervious to such tactics – we’re not). Anyway I fitted the shock and took it out on a reasonably mild 20 mile trek and was quite simply blown away.

This is my first full suspension and previous to fitting the rp23 I always had problems with stock shock (float r). Either adding or removing air. Whatever I did I was never happy with it (or was this feedback I’d read and somehow adopted this as my own?). The thing I’m sure on and it’s 100% my opinion but the bike now rides as I always hoped it would.

Anyone having issues with small bump response – get the kashima coated rp23 and you will be blown away

ruscle
    Free Member

Have similar experience. Got my RP23 serviced and got Kashima upgrade and the difference is outstanding. I thought their might be a small difference but its like night and day imo. Well worth the extra on top of a normal service.

justatheory
    Free Member

Nice one that you’re happy with it and everything but I didn’t notice any difference riding a Kashima RP23 compared to my RP2.

It was on a different bike with a completely different suspension design though, so not a fair comparison.

shiny
    Free Member

Ruscle – YGM
    cheers
    Shiny

organic355
    Free Member

pics?

glenh
    Free Member

Nothing to do with the kashima coating I would wager.
    You swapped from a shock with fixed platform damping to one where you can switch it off. Of course small bump sensitivity will improve.

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

Glenh, while I can’t comment on the OP’s experience, I recently had the 5 year old RP3 on my Turner Flux serviced and upgraded with the Kashima coated piston.

Small bump sensitivity is massively improved. To break through the stiction on the old RP3 I had to run the shock a bit softer, so the bike wallowed more than it should under power. I can now run the shock at a sensible pressure, but it is working like you would not believe over the small bumps. OK so it’s not a magic carpet ride as it’s only a 100mm travel bike, but I’ve now got a nice balance between small bump sensitivity and bigger hit performance.

For the money, on shocks at least the Kashima upgrade is very good value. It’s just a shame that it’s so pricey for forks!!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You’re a marketing dept’s wet dream 😉

As long as you see the difference, that’s all that counts.

Although any serviced 5 year old shock is gonna see a difference after….

specializedneeds

Nothing to do with the kashima coating I would wager.
    You swapped from a shock with fixed platform damping to one where you can switch it off. Of course small bump sensitivity will improve.

I’d have to check I’m not hopelessly out of date, but I thought the Float R was not available with ProPedal platform, no?

timmys

I’d have to check I’m not hopelessly out of date, but I thought the Float R was not available with ProPedal platform, no?

Float R’s have a factory set ProPedal tune (marked on shock body) that can’t be turned off.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I believe they called them RP for pro pedal and r does not have it

timmys

r does not have it

Yes, they do. They just don’t have a lever for you to turn it on/off.

bigjim

5 year old RP3 on my Turner Flux serviced and upgraded with the Kashima coated piston.

You have 2 variables there, any shock that age is going to feel completely different after a service, no matter what colour the coating is. Comparing the same model new shock with and without kashima would be valid.

Junkyard
    Free Member

depends how old the r shock is surely?
    My shock is so old I am pretty sure pro pedal was not out then at all tbh

IA

Propedal’s been about, and standard, since 2004.

The fox float r has built in pro pedal hence the lack of small bump response trade of v the lack of wallow.

My post isn’t designed to get fox/mojo a slap on the back, it’s honest feedback from a bike enthusiast. Some above posts have a similar opinion. I can honestly say I feel like I’m riding a 3k plus bike. I’m now looking at my zaskar and wanting to sell it. As for pics I’ll post when I get home

Thanks guys for the responses and pleased most are enjoying the kashima coating. Ps Glenh that will almost be a factor so yeah good point

skywalker
    Free Member

I have an Kashima RP23. I previously had a 2011 non Kashima RP23 and the difference between them is unbelievable.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I got my bike back from a service last week and i overheard the mechanic saying my tyres were 20psi..and he put them up to to 35psi.

Anyhows.. the bike rides freekin AMAZING!

amedias
    Free Member

shoot me down if you like but I’ve always been of the opinion that ‘small’ bump performance is generally better handled by a nice big volume tyre at a sensible pressure.

Leave the shock to deal with the medium and big stuff in a nice controlled manner rather than twittering about on trail chatter.

That’s not to say I’m not all for reducing static friction but I’ve never managed to find a shock that feels good on the big stuff if set up to be ultra smooth on the little stuff, especially on 100-120mm bikes

…but then I also tend to get pretty annoyed with air shocks in general unless it’s in an XC race.

Have yet to ride any of the new Kashima shocks so will reserve judgement until I actually have 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

reasonably mild 20 mile trek

ffs

heuer27
    Free Member

I’ve got an rp23 with kashima on my five and concur that it is very supple.
    My other bikes have fox shocks and there is a notable difference IMO.
    Oh and don’t sell the zaskar that would be a crime.

chiefP
    Free Member

Heres the look of the shock

Stick my neck out here and say its possibly the best shock Fox have come out with to date.

skywalker
    Free Member

Stick my neck out here and say its possibly the best shock Fox have come out with to date.

I would second that

Lol@ the 20 mile mild trek … I meant it in it wasn’t gnarly. Not saying the distance is little – I’m 42 for Christ sakes 😉

@amedias – who’s shot you down? … I do agree tyres and a hidden form of suspension but that kashima coating is sh1t hot. Whoop whoop

Anyone not too sure in the Nottingham area I would be glad to lend you the bike/shock for a test run. It’s not cheap so a trail is always a good shout

Klunk
    Free Member

I meant it in it wasn’t gnarly. Not saying the distance is little – I’m 42 for Christ sakes

little it’s non existant.

rmacattack
    Free Member

thanks for the idea you may have lightened my wallet

If there’s one thing I’m good at is helping people spend their money

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘New Kashima coated rp23 personal review on Lapierre’ is closed to new replies.