Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • new jockey wheels – whats good?
  • sefton
    Free Member

need two new jockey wheels on my sram 0x.

whats a good replacement?

kcnc?

are the ceramic bearing ones worth the extra?

Wally

Tacx – £9 from Decathlon. Stainless bearings, 11 tooth you need.
    Very easy to regrease and last ages, using them on X0 too.

Bream
    Free Member

Been running KCNC for the last 2 years since my X0 wheels wore out, seem to be wearing really well, very very happy with them.

Certainly not the cheapist option but when it comes to buy again I would almost certainly buy them again.

bcjames
    Free Member

I have the stainless Tacx as fitted by the lbs in my xtr mech. It’s only been about 200 miles but they seem to be running well.

sefton
    Free Member

are all the holes not mud traps?

Bream
    Free Member

They can be, that’s true, luckily we don’t have muddy trail conditions in my region and it’s never been a problem for me. The bike is cleaned after every ride as well.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got some of these Mt Zoom ones which are lighter and cheaper than the KCNCs. To my surprise they don’t fill with mud either!

Bream
    Free Member

Hmm, they look nice 8)

foxyrider
    Free Member

BBB for VFM FTW 🙂

http://www.dotbike.com/p/3992

old_mtber
    Free Member

After posting here a month ago with the same problem I bought KCNC. Really pleased, they don’t seem to clog in the mud and do not pick up any oily residue. TACX although cheap don’t last- 3 wet rides and the bearings gave up but they are easy to re-grease. Z1ppy swears by Deore though as they run on bushings not bearings. I go for KCNC!

DaveRambo

+1 for KCNC.

They look amazing and as a result make you a better rider – fact.

beanieripper
    Free Member

Kcnc ones are ok but in my experience if you dont change them when you change your chain they get noisey. Ive just taken off a nearly new set and replaced with bog standard shimano ones, theres a reason shimano dont use metal jockeys imho.

dan1980
    Free Member

+1 for BBB

z1ppy

+ another for BBB from Dotbike, not sure about long term performance yet, but much more reasonable than SRAM one & hopefully shouldn’t seize up like the old_mtber’s Tacx ones…

…I swear by Deore for Shimano mech’s, not sure they’d fit X0…

PJM1974
    Free Member

The jockey wheels in my X9 mech gave up the ghost recently and I went down the Tacx route too…you just have to be careful which ones you go for (I went for Shimano 9 speed as new X9s mechs have a central bolt fitting and I used the old spacers) but for about £18 they’re a better option than spending a fortune on the official SRAM jobs.

I’ve used BBB bearings in the past, not enough bike shops stock them IMHO.

Rio

are the ceramic bearing ones worth the extra?

I’ve been using a set of the non-ceramic KCNCs for so long (4+ years?) that the wheels have practically worn away and I’m going to have to replace them soon. Never had a problem with the bearings which are still going strong with the occaisonal re-greasing so glad I didn’t splash out the extra for the ceramic ones.

I got them because at the time they were the cheapest option, Shimano wanted nearly as much for XTR replacement ones as I paid for the mech. Wierd that they’re now the expensive option.

They do have a tendency to pick up mud and trail detritus in the holes but the main effect of that is a reduction in bling-ness, they still keep on working.

Timmo
    Free Member

+1 for KCNC,
    i have the non ceramic ones, but in the time ive had them have been Faultless, coming up for 3 years now i think, i dont do Huge milage though, 20-30 miles a week, but they Spin Beutifully and also covered by lifetinme garantee too!!
    i got mine from clee-cycles before they doubled in price, they were then £15 pair for non ceramic!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘new jockey wheels – whats good?’ is closed to new replies.