Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New job – contract question
  • piemann
    Free Member

I’ve accepted a new job (woo hoo) which won’t start for 3 months, but my new employers are asking to see my full current contract of employment to ensure that any non-compete clauses aren’t going to be a problem.

I already sent them the parts of the contract that mentions all of this, but now they want to see the whole shebang. I have some concerns that this might not be above board, as the contract should be a confidential document and I only sent them the appendices which describe the scope of the non-compete clause.

Is this sort of thing acceptable/commonplace?

thehustler
    Free Member

They may be worried about a couple of things 1 intellectual propriety if you are going to a competitor, or 2 not working within X distance of them if its in the same field, the first is understandable and they may put you on gardening leave, the second has been challenged in law and shown to be bollox as its a restriction of trade. Either way your new contract has sod all to do with your current employers

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Never heard of this before nor would I be inclined to entertain their request.

If you have sent them the relevant clause that should suffice.

scotroutes

Say no. If there was any restriction then it would be your responsibility, not theirs.

piemann
    Free Member

Thanks all, just needed a bit of backup before saying no.

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

If they are that desperate, get them to pay for your solicitor to verify there are no anti complete causes that effect them. If they are that worried it will be £300 well spent, and you remain protected also.

brooess
    Free Member

Might be best to get professional advice.
    IANAL and all that but I’ve moved jobs a fair bit and never once been asked. I would consider your current contract to be confidential between you and existing employer and of no business to the new employer.
    Maybe they’re hoping to find out what your old salary was and hoping to bid you back down?

br
    Free Member

Might be best to get professional advice.

+1

piemann
    Free Member

I did think it sounded unusual so I went with ‘confidential between me and my employer’.

I offered to make my hard copy available in the event of a dispute/challenge but won’t email or photocopy it for them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New job – contract question’ is closed to new replies.