Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • new jacket for commuting white or yellow
  • karnali
    Free Member

just about to get a new montane velo and remember reading somewhere recently that white is more visible than the bright yellow jackets any views form the commut eint eh dark brigade

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pick a good jacket, not on colour.

Then, good lights (One flashing, one not) and reflective ankle bands.

All round way more effective than colour. Colour is, however, a little better in daylight.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Light colours work well in low light, that 30 min period as it gets dark or on really rainy days when you should really have a light on as well. In the dark you want reflective stripes. These are all just passive systems though and are instantly out shone once you have a decent light front and rear.

qwerty
    Free Member

its not about the jacket its about your overall signature that spells out cyclist to other road users

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Been some interesting studies looking at conspicuity and yes, whilst it’s true that mototrists should be ‘looking out’ for us it’s sadly also combination of trying making yourself seen and identifiable as a cyclist and travelling at what speed.

Was a lot of debate following France’s decision to make hi-vis compulsory from Jan 2013:

The Motorcycle Action Group’s Ian Mutch said: “We contend that a motorist who is incapable of identifying a normally dressed rider and motorcycle in conditions of good visibility is not fit to hold a driving licence.

“Making extreme demands of motorcyclists in respect of their clothing is to effectively persecute the victims of problem to accommodate the failings of those who often cause them.”

Studies continue to show however that the traditional ‘hi viz’ (ie. yellow and orange) have been shown to work best in daylight and low-light, hence why they have been picked up by the emergency services, road, railway and construction workers etc.

I swapped to one for the commute a few years ago.

There is a danger that drivers are becoming ‘blind’ to them as so many of us do now wear them on the commute but the fact is (as the studies prove) they are more ‘conspicuous’ than other ‘normal’ colours including white.

mikey74
    Free Member

Good luck keeping a white jacket white :mrgreen:

Anyway, in terms of colour, as a driver also, I find that red stands out in a greater variety of conditions than most others, including hi-viz yellow. However, as others have said, reflectiveness is far more effective than bright colours when the sun goes down.

karnali
    Free Member

would have gone red but sold out so went white in stead of yellow, has some reflective strips but in the pure dark i think shows up well in headlights. Am normally lit up like a christmas tree anyway

footflaps

The Yellow Night Vision stuff shows up a mile away at dawn / dusk, in fact so much so, that I bought one after realising the difference between normal cycling attire and the Yellow High Viz. Any murky / wet day and I wear mine for commuting. Looking back, I’m amazed I commuted for so many years wearing a ‘fashionable’ black soft shell jacket…

cuberider
    Free Member

I have one of these – Mavic Vision jersey. They also make a gilet and jacket.

Very visible both in daylight and at night. Not as insipid as yellow/green.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Red has the issue of being invisible (or rather, appearing grey) to the sizable minority of the male population who have some form of colour blindness. Hence yellow and orange.

cuberider
    Free Member

Review here

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘new jacket for commuting white or yellow’ is closed to new replies.