Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • new innertube (mtb)- blows up a la roadtube help
  • hora
    Free Member

Brand new mtb innertube, fitted at 40psi an hour ago. Then left the bike sat in the hallway. I noticed a ‘electrical crackling type noise’ and as I got to the bike BANG tyre blown off with the innertube split in half.

I’ve never seen this before. Ever. Its almost like I’d put 100psi in or twisted the tube- I hadn’t.

Am I going mad? I mean such a spectacular failure on a new tube at such low psi???????????????

trail_rat
    Free Member

likely explanation – you didnt put tire on the rim correctly – the electrical cracking noise was the tire sliding off the rim with the tube pushing it off and burst between the tire and the rim !

druidh
    Free Member

Basic user fitting error.

If you can’t find the instructions on t’internet, I’m sure there is a LBS who could do it for you properly.

ziggy
    Free Member

Yeah as above, you caught the tube under the bead of the tyre by the sounds of things.

I’ll fit you a new tube for £100 😉

hora
    Free Member

I like how it waited until I clocked it was coming from the rear of the bike…..I was thinking was where’s electric stuff here?!

captaindanger

Yep, you didn’t have the tyre seated properly, we’ve all done it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i had that happen to me as i went to take the pump off my ear was ringing for about 4 hours. that was not user error* as it ripped the tyre appart leaving the wire bit intact+ [prays] please lord dont let me be like Hora, I wil be good from now o[/prays]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve had it happen, with the tyre correctly seated. Tube split along a ‘seam’. Happen like this sometimes.

If it’s pushed the tyre off, then it proves you’re an idiot.

I’m sorry, but it’s got to be said.

oldgit
    Free Member

Newbie fail 😉

hora
    Free Member

Along the inside seam.

This is my second puncture in a year. BTW I don’t use tools, just fingers to swap tubes. Quick technique if anyone wants a lesson.

Pissed off- a fiver.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Could be a tube failure, but if it’s pushed the tyre off the rim, then almost certainly installation failure.

And idiocy.

hora
    Free Member

And idiocy?

I joined you with my first tube failure?

😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘new innertube (mtb)- blows up a la roadtube help’ is closed to new replies.