• This topic has 13 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • new hub for meta 5.5.3
  • Leszeks
    Free Member

hi,
    i need to change a hub in my meta. Could anyone tell me what would be a good buy? I heard Hope Pro 2 with 12mm axle is nice.
    do i need to buy anything else?
    I take my bike to malaga in 2 days time and i hope to change it before…

HermanShake
    Free Member

I’m going Pro II front and rear; 9mm thru front and 12mm thru rear. You can get adapters for Pro IIs to do this easy. You’ll need the 12mm dropouts though (both sides, some shops sell them individually!).

2 days is tight!

Leszeks
    Free Member

cheers. it doesn’t sound very complicated…;)
    as it is too late for internet shops, any idea where I can get a
    ll this stuff in Edinburgh?

HermanShake
    Free Member

Sorry, I’m in Brighton! Wrong end of the country 😉

Leszeks
    Free Member

cheers Herman:)
    BTW how many hub holes does meta 5 got?

HermanShake
    Free Member

Hub holes, do you mean dropouts? We get a 10mm qr option (stock I think) and the 12mm upgrade.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Try Freeflow in Glasgow, they are a Commencal dealer.

0141 630 0021

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Might be a day too late but I’ll try – the Meta has various dropout options:

standard QR dropouts
    12mm bolt through dropouts (usually included with bike)
    12mm Maxle dropout (available as an upgrade)

Either 12mm bolt through option will stiffen the rear end but require a new axle as well as a 12mm bolt through compatible hub, such as the Pro II Evo (which in turn needs the 12mm conversion).

You can use a bolt through axle with the standard 12mm dropouts, but loose the QR ability.

Alternatively the 12mm Maxle dropouts will take a standard M12 threaded through axle – the threaded right hand dropout replaces the nut, so only a hex key needed to undo, or you need to buy a Maxle. Try to track down a Maxle instead of Maxle lite if possible.

So to go 12mm, you’ll need:
    Hub
    12mm kit for hub
    12mm dropouts for bike – std or Maxle
    12mm Thru Axle or Maxle

Any bike shop should be able to sort the hub/wheel/maxle part – check eBay or http://www.commencalownersclub.com/ for Meta Maxle dropouts.

Saying that, sounds like it’s going to be too late for your trip!

Leszeks
    Free Member

cheers for all replies. unfortunately is too late for this trip. alps in august so plenty of time:)

DrP

As above really….
    I’ve got ProIIs, with 20mm maxle up front, and 12mm maxle at the rear.
    I thought the 20mm up front was a revelation – you can tell it’s stiffer. Adding the rear maxle to a frame that is known for it’s “wibbliness” (in a good way!) stiffens the tail up too…

DrP

HermanShake
    Free Member

Just to add, 10mm thru is also an option (superstar do a 10mm thru QR), my Meta 5.5.? (black & gold with RS revs) came 10mm so I have to choose between 10 or 12 thru when I upgrade.

This (assuming pro II) will need a 10mm thru conversion and 10mm thru axle/QR. If you have 12mm dropouts or the funds, then 12mm is clearly better.

I’ve had assignments to do this week so procrastinated myself into hub geekery.

DrP

as above, the INCLUDED dropout is 10mm, not 12 (well, it was for my 08 meta)

DrP

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Interesting! I have a 2008 Absolut 4X and Meta 5.5 and both came with standard and 12mm bolt through dropouts, I’m running this axle on the Absolut with a Bulb 12mm:
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=405

Looks like a case of measure twice, buy once!

DrP

Interesting!

DrP

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘new hub for meta 5.5.3’ is closed to new replies.