Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New HTC Desire HD
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

I have delayed upgrading my phone because I want a new Desire HDand it looks like its nearly here as its on HTC's Homepage & T-Mobile's coming soon section, I know the Desire is already a great phone, but this one has some great additions for security, browsing and Maps to name a few, also the world & its dog has iphones but not me.

rootes1

this the htc 'evo4' as in the states? see HTC US site.

If so then reports are that battery life is so terrible you need to live next to power socket every minute of your life.

hope not as the desire HD looks v nice

loddrik
    Free Member

Just buy a spare battery…

jam-bo

Nearly as good as an iPhone…

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

there is not much of an update vs the original desire, you can run maps on the old one and with 2.2 (froyo) update out for Android the security on both devices will be the same. Only benefit for the HD is going from 5mp cam to an 8mp, other than that I cannot see any difference.

If its more expensive on contract i would get the original desire, if its the same then get the HD.

soulrider
    Free Member

the screen is 4.3" on the HD the orig Desire is 3.7"

apparently at 4.3" its just a little big to hold comfortably in the hand.
    According to the geek sites – The register, Trusted Reviews etc

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

tbh not sure I would want a larger screen, the desire is already pretty damn big…. any larger you may as well get an ipad 🙂

Toasty

Another generation of slow Snapdragon phones from HTC, means another year of iPhone games looking progressively better while the Android market looks like it's filled with games made by 10 year olds.

Had they stuck a Hummingbird in there though, like many other companies are now, you'd have lots of interesting developers jumping onboard Android all of a sudden. Not hugely relevant for the vast majority I know.

foxyrider
    Free Member

just get an HTC HD2 (winmo) and run it with Froyo on the SD card – same spec as the new HD pretty much 🙂 apart from the camera 🙂

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

have you actually tired one? lots of tests have shown the iphone 4 and desire run most apps at exactly the same speed with android on 2.1. Now with 2.2 (froyo) it can run up to 4 times faster. Lots of tests are pretty lame, like testing the iphone4 against a 2.1 droid, some are tested against lower end snapdragon mobiles. There is a great vid on youtube showing an iphone next to a desire and they run the same apps and web pages at the same time. There is little difference.

I have a Playstation emulator on my desire and it runs games like gran turismo just as fast as the original console, very fast indeed, why you would want it to run any faster i dont know. The snapdragon processor is not slow by any means. Froyo on a decent handset runs a dream

Toasty

Now with 2.2 (froyo) it can run up to 4 times faster.

The 4x increase refers to a JIT compiler, it'll give a 4x speed increase in very, very specific circumstances. It has to be very CPU heavy code, which is repeatedly run, like a program which you give a photo and it applies a filter for example. The compilation requires a bit of time and memory, so in some circumstances it's actually slower. It's not a win/win, for the vast majority of things it'll make no difference.

The Snapdragon processor has their own crappy GPU, which is fill rate bound, which means, although it's fast at figuring things out internally, it's actually too slow to draw it's big screen at a decent speed. With a 3.7" screen this cap was about 26 frames per second, if the new one is a higher res this will be even worse.

The Hummingbird phones, new Nvidia ones, or iPhones A8s are far more speedy and capable of a much better frame rate. All with proper 3d hardware, faster and more up to date than the likes of a PSP. The reason everything runs smooth on the Desire is because it's all made for the Desire, as it's selling bucket loads.

have you actually tired one?

Yes, and I'm developing for it 🙂 It'd be nice to release something crazy and blow everyones socks off, like id and Epic recently did for the iPhone. Sadly the HTC phones gimp this potential a bit.

funkynick

Toasty… you do realise that the HD uses a newer version of the Snapdragon, so not the same one in the normal Desire, which I believe at least matches, if not exceeds, the current Hummingbird performance.

Also, as Samsung are making phones based aroung the Hummingbird processors, I'm not sure how HTC using the Snapdragon will make iPhone games any better.

And then of course the next gen of phones which will come around soon enough will be boasting dual core processors and the like.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

well all im going to say is I have PS1 games running in full graphics and they pull over 40fps. Also you can run different interfaces and roms with ease so its not as easy as saying it is slow. I ditched HTC sense as it speeded the phone up a lot. Having owned both I know there is 0 difference in actual real life speed and performance, not some lab test

Toasty

CPU performance has never been the bottleneck, it's GPU, and that doesn't seem to have massively changed.

well all im going to say is I have PS1 games running in full graphics and they pull over 40fps.

I'm not talking lab test either, and to be honest you're not actually comparing you phone to anything. All I'm saying is the rest have much quicker GPUs, and HTCs phones hold the entire Android market back quite a bit.

kimbers

funkynick

The newer chipsets use a more powerful GPU (the Adreno (Or something) 205 vs 200) which they say is about 4x as powerful as the one in the current Desire.

Toasty

On a similar note, how do you view framerate in psx4droid, or are you counting them? :/

The newer chipsets use a more powerful GPU (the Adreno (Or something) 205 vs 200) which they say is about 4x as powerful as the one in the current Desire.

Ooh, that'd do, I take it back if that's the case 😛

rs
    Free Member

I have a Playstation emulator on my desire and it runs games like gran turismo just as fast as the original console,

More info please

Toasty

psx4droid, on the market. Quite good although he doesn't ever seem to update it 🙁

Seems to play most things very well though.

rs
    Free Member

thanks, downloading now 🙂

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Motorola are saying they will release at least one dual cpu handset before the year is out.

I've been waiting for a phone like the desire z for ages now. I hate touch screens for lots of typing

glenh
    Free Member

Toasty – the new phones have an new version of the adreno GPU which is supposed to be x4 faster than the old one, or so I hear.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

if you want some full info on the PSX emulator take a look at this

http://www.psx4droid.webs.com

You need to download it from android market, but that site has full instructions on how to use it. Its a site I made, sadly the developer has not updated the app or helped his customers, hence why I made the site

Cougar

Might I respectfully suggest a less Geocities background if anyone's ever going to be able to read it?

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

You can but it is what it is. The developer has had 1000's of complaints from others that cannot use the app, because he gave no instructions and no support, in fact some are trying to get the app banned from google, if you get it working it is very good, but getting it to work with all the steps you need to do is a nightmare. That said Playstation on your mobile :). I made it to help others and have a laugh at build a web site. Ive had around 300 messages of thanks and tbh I cannot be bothered to change it anymore, its there to help, and the background makes it stand out as to what its for…it does the job. ive not looked at the site for a good 3 weeks now. Just hope those who paid for the application can get it running. this all said it does show how good the droid is for games (those with 1g processor)

ive had the desire and an iphone side by side running the application (they do an iphone version also) and the droid is smoother.

If anyone does get the application read the tips page for improving performance. Turn off your Sense, wifi, gps and live wallpapers. You will be surprised how much your phone speeds up games and apps

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Foxyrider, YHM 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘New HTC Desire HD’ is closed to new replies.