Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New hope cassette, poor small gear shifting
  • mikeep
    Free Member

Installed a new hope cassette (and freehub) to a bike, new sram 11speed chain, on used xtr mech, shifter (11spd)

Having trouble getting the chain shifting on the smallest three cogs. Rest are fine.

Any clues, Ta.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

B screw needs winding in/out?

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’m assuming you’ve double checked the simple stuff like cable tension?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

presumably caused by the jockey-to-sprocket distance being too big on the smaller sprockets?

Or possibly sloppy sprocket bearings?

Unscrew the b-screw to help but then the big sprockets may suffer.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Check your mech hanger for straightness. Not just by eye but with a gauge.

zelak999
    Free Member

I’ve had one for about a month or so.
    IVe got the same issue.
    Spent ages trying to tweak but to no avail, it’s the 2nd and 3rd smallest gear that takes about 4-5 crank spins before it will change up. Changes down to smaller cogs fine.
    Hope reckoned it needs a lot of chain tension when using an xtr mech but I can’t take any more links out!
    Let me know if you manage to solve it!!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up. I was considering trying one but I’m already having issues with chain tension with a sram cassette. Shifting is fine, but I’m getting chain slap in the smallest sprockets

Onzadog
    Free Member

Anyone tried a wolf cage or shark cage to help with this?

vincienup
    Free Member

Out of interest, have you tried a SRAM mech and shifter with the cassette?

I can’t find any references now but I’m sure I’ve heard somewhere that the Hope cassette works better with SRAM mechs, presumably something to do with the cage geometry and jockey placement.

damascus
    Free Member

I’m running a hope cassette with 11 speed Xt shifter and mech.

No problems at all but occasionally in the 10t cog on rough stuff it bounces about. I’m guessing it’s because the chain is on so few teeth.

Perhaps another link removed might help.

Apart from that, so far so good.

barbs
    Free Member

I’ve got a Shark cage with the 10 48 Hope cassette and shifts are fine!

Onzadog
    Free Member

If I remember correctly, Hope don’t mention rear mechs by name but the do suggest it works better with a mech where the top jockey is offset to the top pivot.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve now resorted to a shark cage to try and improve the shifting on the Hope cassette. In the work stand, there doesn’t seem to be any improvement.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New hope cassette, poor small gear shifting’ is closed to new replies.