• This topic has 30 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • New Heckler or used 4bar frame?
  • hora
    Free Member

Do you really notice the pedal bob? Is it a heavy frame? Ideally looking for light, fuss free for 160 forks for the Peaks.

nmdbase
    Free Member

The answer is no you don’t, I noticed it more on my Trance X. It’s not heavy and is a great all rounder.

Don’t listen to the single pivot bullshit brigade put you off, infact I far prefer it to a vpp

Freester

Brand new Heckler with RP23. Turn on the Pro Pedal and leave it on the highest setting and it won’t bob that much. Turn the PP off and it will be a bit noticeable.

With PP on the bob’s no more noticeable than my previous frame, a 2006 Marin Attack Trail – not exactly 4 bar but definitely not single pivot.

Oh and super easy to service yourself 😉

stayhigh

I love my Heckler and would happily recommend one to anyone interested. Dont notice any bob that detracts from my ride or my enjoyment of the bike. Very confidence inspiring and fun 🙂

infidel
    Free Member

Hora – I’m selling my 575 – it’s light and can take upto 160mm forks….

thepodge
    Free Member

you know what you need? a blur 4x. I think that’d suit you down to the ground

hora
    Free Member

115mm of rear travel though podge? 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

save a bit longer and get a new blur?

having said that if I was to go back to single pivot I think it’d probably be a heckler

hora
    Free Member

Twice as much though. NO bike frame is worth almost 2k

1k max. Such a rip off aint it?

Junkyard
    Free Member

which has the greatest resale value 😉

dickie
    Free Member

Heckler!!
    Just done a 5 day tour of the Lakes on mine & it was perfect, up down & on road sections.
    Pedals light. With the RP23 from new I never needed the the PP on, although since service I now ride with it on the lightest setting.
    I would highly recommend a Heckler, light enough for a 6″ bike, simple maintenace & massive mud room.

hora
    Free Member

Junky I sold my blur4x’s for the price I paid for them. So that’s a total of 2.5yrs riding for 0 cost.

juiced
    Free Member

as good as hecklers are i would have thought the Blur 4x is a better hardcore bike. The general trail riding then the heckler…maybe..

hora
    Free Member

The Blur4x has 115mm rear travel, the Heckler 150mm so I’d say the Heckler would be better

boxelder

I used to live and ride in the Peak – don’t remeber many trails meriting that much travel? If it’s just what you fancy fair enough, but I wouldn’t want to carry the weight around.

hora
    Free Member

I rode a 10lb 7inch frame round here yesterday. Its personal choice but short travel bikes tend to come with short forks that don’t tend to talent compensate…

On a serious note- if you only own one ‘do it all’ bike then a Heckler would ‘do’ peaks, lakes etc etc

ltheisinger
    Free Member

On a serious note- if you only own one ‘do it all’ bike then a Heckler would ‘do’ peaks, lakes etc etc

Correct Hora! I only have one bike and it’s a Heckler – mine has done everything from Dartmoor to Downieville (and will be doing Downieville again in just 3 weeks 😀 ).

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’d have kept the B4X & swapped the 200×50 shock for a 200×57.

Straight swap, no issues, frame can handle the extra stroke length with no contact, makes ‘just’ under 140mm (137 IIRC).

My Mrs has been running her like this for 18 months, i’d have been tempted to pick up a large frame, but even the large is a touch on the small side for me 🙁

Brings it bang up to date with current bikes.

hora
    Free Member

I looked into this- SC said on full compression the linkage with the seat tube makes contact. You wouldn’t see this as you’d be motoring’.

I agree- even the large was too short for me as well. That was my only real niggle. From now on I’m buying frames that actually fit on longer rides.

hora
    Free Member

I’d have a lapierre (rode skip rats yesterday and loved it) but they are soo expensive secondhand whereas the heckler can’t be that far behind in terms of performance yet its soo cheap new!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

There is about ~5mm on a medium between the seat stay brace and the seat tube on full compression with a 200×57 shock Maybe the large was different?

Thankfully I had a bike with a 200×57 shock we could try it on before taking the plunge.

The large wasn’t really very large unfortunately, more of a big medium.

I went from the Blur to a Zesty, and didn’t really like it. A large felt a bit weird to me, the chainstays were super long & the higher BB made it a very neutral bike, just not very inspiring to ride. Second hand frames do come up every now & then, I sold mine on here 🙂

Ended up with a 5 of all things. The 2011 geometry really suited me. Riding mainly DH I wanted something long, low and reasonably slack with short stays to make it playfull. I didn’t really want a 5, infact it was the bike I love to hate, sadly I couldn’t argue with the numbers, and riding a friends confirmed it.

The Heckler is a bit old school geometry for me.

nickegg
    Free Member

Hecklers HA with a 140mm fork is 69….not as trendy as the latest full-sussers but with 160mm Lyriks it’s superb IMO. The HA is the only thing old school about them.

The latest slack HA full sussers just don’t do it for me. Having owned a 2009 Orange 5 and a 2010 Zesty, neither made for good all-rounders where as my 2011 Heckler is just plain fun and doesn’t feel compromised on anything so far. Off to the Alps tomorrow for 3 weeks so we’ll see how it feels spending most of it’s days descending!

jonny-m
    Free Member

[/img]
    Heckler, anyday!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

hora – you snooze, you lose. Could have had one with agreat shock and king headset for £610 last week but hey!!

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I sold my blur4x’s for the price I paid for them

You sold two of them? Madness!

Mine is a keeper, i had a heckler before and it was good, reliable and versatile. 4x is far more fun.

hora
    Free Member

Cruz I wasn’t going to pay close to the new price for a used frame with no warranty.

stuartlangwilson 1st gen VPP isn’t all that- good for descending I bet but VPP gen 2 is supposed to be amazing/ironed out all the issues/foibles of the first lot.

Thing is its finding a LT2 🙁

On the Five – its just not THAT good to warranty the price over the Hecklers.

nmdbase
    Free Member

My HA is 68.1 with 150mm Revelations

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Hora the offer was 400 off new price

nmdbase
    Free Member

I only paid £600 for my 2011 frame, it was a month old 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

On the Five – its just not THAT good to warranty the price over the Hecklers.

Well, thats a matter of opinion on what you like in a bike really. Even if it was £50 for the frame but it was everything you didn’t like in a bike, it’s of no use. If the 5 is everything you want then of course it’s worth it!

To a certain extent, the price has to be irrelevant for the above reason.

I wouldn’t buy a Heckler at any price because I know for me, it would be nasty to ride.

Surely the questions should be ‘what do I like in a bike and what do I want from it’ then you try and find something that fits in your budget.

hora
    Free Member

Well it looks like i aint riding this weekend as I’m frameless 😐

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘New Heckler or used 4bar frame?’ is closed to new replies.