Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • New hardtail around £1k – any thoughts?
  • ElShalimo

So I’ve been looking at mags and bikes in shops for ages and now decided on a budget and that HT will be better all round deal for me. I was also flirting with the idea of spending more but I can’t justify it.
    So given it has to be HT and about £1k, anyone got any recommendations:
    – L or 19″ish frame I’m 6’1″ with long ape-like arms
    – robust enough for 14.5st rider
    – needs to be built to last as it’ll be my last bike for years (unless I win the lottery)
    – main use will be bridleways in Dales, West Yorkshire and occasional North Wales trail centre messing about. No mad downhill riding for me.
    – prefer Shimano as have had used it for 20yrs

I know that you can build a very good bike for £1k but I’m incompetent and have limited spare time.
    Another option is buy the bits but how much would a bike shop/mechanic charge to assemble the bike?

Any advice appreciated. Need to decide soon or the summer will be gone
    cheers

highclimber
    Free Member

P7

sefton
    Free Member

have a look at on one & merlin 😉

ElShalimo

sefton – I have a 2005 Malt1 and want something a little more forgiving on longer rides (and less knackered)
    cheers

Also – should I just go for best combination of frame, forks and wheels as the drive train and brakes will wear out first anyway?

chakaping
    Free Member

if you can stretch the budget a bit this is a tremendous bike…

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOCAR456TRAIL/on-one-carbon-456-trail-slx

sefton
    Free Member

not sure you’ll feel less knackered with another xc hardtail.

maybe a steel frame would me marginally more comfortable – other than that I’d suggest a second hand full suspension bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

Actually, the new ST mag arrived today and has a rather favourable review of the new £1k Boardman FS.

It dooes have Sram though (I prefer Shimano too).

ElShalimo

I’m avoiding FS ‘cos its more maintenance and a HT has less to go wrong (in theory)
    The comfort on longer days could probably be improved with a decent pair of inners. Its really on long rocky rides in the dry that I get bashed up.

jaselowe
    Free Member

If you had asked me over the weekend, I’d have said Genesis Core 40, maybe even a clearance 50.

Now? Unless youre happy to get stonewalled if/when you get a problem within the first 30mins of riding – I’d say anything but those.

sefton
    Free Member

how about adding some big tubeless tyres (ran with lowish pressure) that should help.

what forks are you running on your malt?

5lab

they’ve got a voodoo in halfords that’s got great kit on it (x9 I think) for that money

scottidog
    Free Member

May not be trendy or niche or british but the Marin Rocky Ridge is an excellent bike, perfect geo and very well spec’d for the cash.

http://www.moosecycles.com/products.php?plid=m3b1s2p1153&rs=gb

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-marin-rocky-ridge-08-28788/

ElShalimo

sefton – original spec Magura Vidar 80mm and not tubeless, just Panaracer fire xc pro with tubes

its the back end that gets bashed on longer days out, suppose I should toughen up a bit

damo2576
    Free Member

I’m avoiding FS ‘cos its more maintenance and a HT has less to go wrong

Generally, but remember you can get quite simple single pivot FS bikes too. Never as simple as a HT mind..

sefton
    Free Member

I still think you may be disappointed (& a grand down) on another HT if your current bike is a malt (which is a great frame)

maybe something steel with a 120 fork and a 68ish degree head angle? big volume tyres?

damo2576
    Free Member

how about adding some big tubeless tyres (ran with lowish pressure) that should help.

Actually I’v really noticed this, I have a SC Superlight and a 853 Steel HT. I honestly think the HT is more comfy sometimes due to the bigger tyres I run (XR4 vs Mud X narrow ones)

ElShalimo

all good thoughts and helpful.
    the Malt has been great but I want to treat myself to a new bike, I just fancy a change. I’ll still keep it for pub, gym, light touring duties
    i’m sure my forks are at the end of their life too

steel with big tyres sounds good

toons
    Free Member

Have you looked at Canyon bikes?

sefton
    Free Member

how about just buying some new forks, tubeless big vol tyres, spd peddles & shoes (these will help massively peddling over the rough stuff – you could trick your malt out with a grand (especially second hand)

ElShalimo

Sefton – I started off thinking that way but realised id be spending enough to get a new bike
    Drive train would need improving too. I do also fancy a new bike which is probably the main reason for changing.
    I want to treat myself whilst I can afford it. The chance might not come again

sefton
    Free Member

dam you keep the malt 😆

ok fair play.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOINSLX/on-one-inbred-slx

how about this? – might have some change to get some upgrades?

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

+1 for Canyon Bikes… not tried but I think I’ll be pulling the trigger, because I, like you, am looking.

read the awards list, look at the spec, then look at the price!!!

sefton
    Free Member

is it going to be more comfortable though? (hate me yet)? 😆

andyl
    Free Member

the inbred will be a bit longer in the top tube than the merlin (I prefer it as I have a long body and reach).

The SLX should be a good move from the malt but what about just getting a frame? What forks have you got at the moment?

If you do go for the Inbred I would look at getting a reba fork or something to save some weight as the steel frame will be a bit heavier.

But it should be more forgiving. My Malt 2 is really nice but on very rocky trails it is a bit harsh and I much prefer the carbon 456.

ElShalimo

Which tubeless tyres do you recommend ?

stephen131
    Free Member

Boardman HT PRO 2011 , Fantastic bike if you can see past the whole Halfords thing , i got one as soon as they came into the shops a couple of months ago , going to sell my full suspension bike now as i dont use it since getting a HT.

sefton
    Free Member

I’ve recently got some nobby nic tubeless ready (very light but probably not the most robust)

great grip though and fitting was a doodle!

ElShalimo

any opinions on:
    -Whyte 805
    -Orange P7
    -Inbred

When is the new mag in print? I’d like a look at the Boardman FS review.. unless anyone has a pdf of the review?
    Are they in Halfords yet?

ElShalimo

bump for the evening crowd

bobster
    Free Member

Buy a Soul (Insert other steel frame options here) frame.

Since you don’t have time, pay shop to swap bits over and replace anything that needs to be.

Any money left either upgrade some bits or pocket for later.

Replace parts as they wear out.

Sorted.

ElShalimo

bobster – thanks but I want to keep my old bike and buy a new bike

CiderRiderRich
    Free Member

Nice position to be in, but so many choices……

I too am a taller rider, and large size frames can be very different from there medium siblings. I have an a HT Boardman which when reviewed by mags in the medium size, when my large version bends and twists all over the place. So I would stick clear from these.

Just replaced the Boardman with OnOne Whippet – and given you can pick one up for £999 at the mo – this is a fantastic frame with a good kit list. Or for a bit less cash, try the OnOne Scandal (got one of these too) -light and agile.

Good luck with the search

DT78
    Free Member

When I had this dilemma I ended up with charge duster. Very very nice bike. I have no issues with comfort on long rides. Singletrack ripper.

ThePilot
    Free Member

No need to toughen up a bit! Get a Thudbuster seatpost. My mate suffers with his back and swears by it. Will take a fair chunk out of the £1K budget though.

bol

Halfords’ had 2010 Voodoo Wangas on clearance at £650 with rebas, elixirs and x9 a few weeks ago when I looked. Might still be able to track one down. Amazing value for a well kitted classic steel hardtail.

Edit: only the 17″ online now at £650. Might be able to find one in a store though with a ring round. £350 spare for kit, bling or a weekend somewhere..?

ElShalimo

oops forgot to add its not C2W, its my own cash

DT78 – which model duster did you get?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

456 or Inbred with SLX takes some beating IMO.

Inbred – up to 120mm, but happiest at 100mm
    456 – tougher, heavier and up to 140mm and beyond

You could do a custom build for £1k and spec how you like it. Or if you don’t fancy that, On One do full builds which have an okay spec

pickle
    Free Member

456! go for it and you will not regret it…..had mine for a good few years now and it just makes you smile every time you ride it.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO456TR/on-one-456-trail-slx

logic1980
    Free Member

Im currently doing the same kind of thing as You – iv hooked up a Kinesis maxlight XC120 frame for a song and trying to kit it out with sram X9 / shim XT with a couple of bits off my old bike like saddles and bars to keep the price down. Merlin do awesome pricing on new comps but looking on here in classified has come up trumps –

having the idea and then perceiving is my only advice 😀

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘New hardtail around £1k – any thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.