Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New handlebar from On-one
  • simon1975

Spawn of Mary and the Inbred, prepare to meet Half-wit

druidh
    Free Member

Wouldn't have happened if it had been carbon…..

edhornby

that happened to my brother recently…. we were on our way to the northwich beer fest and me and dad laughed incessantly until we realised that it could have happened when we were all hammering it down the hill at a rate of knots 😯

he now subscribes to the 'new bars every 2 years or so' rule…

oh hang on he's on this forum !!! paging tthew !!!

_tom_
    Free Member

There's a "new bars every 2 years or so" rule? I've been running my old 24sevens for about 4-5 years now 0_0

Should they be replaced then?

swampi
    Free Member

thats what happens when ya ride a fixie simon 🙂

simon1975

thats what happens when ya ride a fixie simon

Yeah at least I had plenty of room on the surviving half for my brake lever 🙂 I'd hopped a fallen branch and the landing was a bit harsh, but that's often the case when you're fixed…

The bar's got loads of stress marks running across its underside near the break, but I don't know how old it was because it wasn't new to me.

I had to ride for about 12 miles one-handed which really hurt my arse – work that out 😉

Fancying a Carnegie as replacement but can't be doing with oversize due to imcompatibility between bikes (for my light mount).

swampi
    Free Member

at least u survived 🙂

simon1975

Can't ride today though as my left calf is badly bruised from the off 🙁

chrisss
    Free Member

Twas more of a twig!

simon1975

Ah but I cleared it with inches to spare 😉

yunki
    Free Member

ok.. I'm a little bit worried now cos I use a Mary bar for all my riding and some of that riding is far from delicate.. bunny hops over fallen timber.. twig, branch or otherwise is probably the very least I ask of a handlebar..

Please tell me that you had tightened the clamp bolts faaaaar too tightly.. and that you've been practising all sorts of didgy freaky stuff that no bar was ever designed for..
    Or even that you're working for Brant and stealth marketing his Carnegie bars..
    I'm certainly gonna be a little less confident in my bars next time I'm out ragging them..

simon1975

I think it's just fatigue failure from them being old. It broke slightly away from the clamp not on the clamp itself so overtightening wouldn't have caused this break.

I ride it quite hard with a rigid fork, but will probably get another Mary (new) and keep an eye on it unless the carbon Carnegie appears soon.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

If it was me, I'd have stuffed a bit of branch in the holes to rejoin the two ends, rather than ride 12 miles one handed … you show off 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

few zip ties and some gaffa tape and you could have ridden that home

toys19
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

few zip ties and some gaffa tape and you could have ridden that home

Don't be ridiculous, he could have added 10 years of life to the bar like that, wood's 'mazin stuff you know..

tthew

Can't see the pic, flickr is blocked at work, but yeah, Ed Hornby is nearly correct. 3 year replacement policy for me, we all know alloy has a finite life and there's a lot of leverage going on there even without crashing.

simon1975

We tried the branch method (really) but it snapped off…

I've ordered my replacement in a shiny new silver colour 🙂

slugwash
    Free Member

I've ordered my replacement in a shiny new silver colour

Those chrome Marys are thicker and probably less prone to fatigue fractures 🙂

However, they do weigh several kilos more than the black Marys 🙁

simon1975

Gone for alloy again, but they're doing various colours of anodizing now.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New handlebar from On-one’ is closed to new replies.