Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New groupset vs wheels
  • r17anm
    Free Member

I’m trying to decide which upgrade to go with on my genesis equilibrium
    Either shimano 105 compact group @£300 or
    Ultegra wheelset @£225 both from ribble
    It currently has sora group and Alex rims
    Could anyone advise me on which would be the best upgrade for the money
    Thanks

bol

Wheels will make more difference for less. Probably.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wheels will make the most difference to the feel of the bike.

Many would prefer the visible bling of the 105 groupo, I wouldn’t.

chakaping
    Free Member

Wheels then upgrade the groupset bit by bit?

Can even work out cheaper that way if you just keep your eyes open for mega deals on individual bits, like Merlin’s recent blowout.

nammynake
    Free Member

I changed from Sora to 105 and Mavic CXP22 to Fulcrum Racing 5. The wheels were definitely the more effective upgrade. Yes 105 feels a lot nicer than Sora (my main bugbear was those stupid thumb shifters) but the wheels just feel so much better. Noticeably stiffer (which at first made the ride harsher) and just feel like they roll better and accelerate more easily. Don’t expect any improvement in speed, it’s all about the feel.

What percentage of your ride do you spend changing gear? 1%? Conversely your wheels are in use 100% of the time (unless you’re doing wheelies or bunny hops…).

Northwind

Assuming it’s in good condition, the wheels. If the groupset’s worn, then that. But as a rule, don’t replace drivetrain til it’s dead, pouring money down the drain otherwise.

Or, neither, what’s it doing that you don’t like? You don’t say so perhaps nothing. Road bikes have an incredibly easy job do to, unless you’re racing there’s nothing on that bike that isn’t more than good enough. Hookers and blackjack.

r17anm
    Free Member

I’m slowly trying to shed some weight off the bike not that it’s gonna make a big difference but I like the idea of
    It being a bit more nimble. The groupset is in good condition but the thumb shift is annoying.
    Basically I got a bit of spare cash and fancy spunking it on my road bike. Think I will leave the groupset until
    It needs replacing like you say.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you’re looking to save weight, why not keep saving, then sell that road bike, add the money to it and buy a new one.

Superficial
    Free Member

Buy the wheels and some Tiagra / 105 STIs (+/- a new cassette & chain if it’s a different number of gears). Maybe second hand. Obviously it won’t affect the weight dramatically but the old Sora STIs are pretty horrible, Tiagra and up are much better.

gogg
    Free Member

Wheels every time, them’s the bit that’s rolling!

RAWHIDE!!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve recently swapped a Sora group set with an Ultegra group set shifted off another bike which I replaced with 105. Really in terms of shifting quality you cannot tell any difference whatsoever. In fact, if I was really thinking about it, the Sora group set was probably the best shifting, even if it did have the old style thumb button downshift. Also there was not much difference in weight according to the ‘hand scales’. If I were you i’d go for the wheel set.

r17anm
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice will leave the groupset for now

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New groupset vs wheels’ is closed to new replies.