• This topic has 29 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by fisha.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • new Ghostbusters
  • mahalo

as an 80’s child I had to do it – went to see the new Ghostbusters.

the most diabolical abomination of an all time classic theres ever been.

martinhutch

diabolical abomination

SPOILERS!

downhilldave

Do they all ride gravel bikes?

wwaswas

jon1973
    Free Member

the most diabolical abomination of an all time classic theres ever been.

The old one won’t cease to exist.

retro83
    Free Member

zilog6128

I’m not against the idea of remakes at all, but when the original is as close to perfect as you can get why would you bother? There’d be no way to come out of it looking good.

pondo

There is a list of films I will never see – the Ghostbusters remake is on it.

nickc

really looking forward to it, looks ace. 😀

Pook

I’m with nickc

mos

Melisa McCarthy is a funny lass but i’m wondering if her style will still work without copious use of profane language.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m also with Pook and Nickc

And my two girls (6 & 10) Both think it’s great that it stars are all women. And I absolutely agree. Let’s hope more big event movies follow suit…

AlexSimon

I watched the original the other day with my son and thought it was nowhere near as good as I remembered. The stay puft bit always fell flat I thought, but I was surprised how little comedy there was in it – mostly just cringesome leching from Murray.
    I remembered it so fondly too!

nickc

TBH, along with Marvel killing off it’s white men (Hulk is now a Korean-American teenager, and Iron Man is a 15 yr old black girl), I think it’s about time…

johndoh
    Free Member

think it’s great that it stars are all women.

Why? Why on earth does that make it great? Surely the test of whether a film is good is if it’s, err, good – not if it contains females in place of males in all the lead roles?

retro83
    Free Member

it’s true; this man has no dick

AlexSimon

That and “Dogs and cats living together” were about the only times I laughed!

phil40
    Free Member

I think I will wait a couple of months and watch it when it is on netflix! Certainly not a film I would go out of my way to watch. I can’t remember many remakes I have seen which i thought were better than the original! I have no doubt there are some, but I have a crap memory 😀

zilog6128

I was surprised how little comedy there was in it

disagree, I think it’s hilarious. The humour is subtle/gentle though, much of it coming from the actors’ performances rather than one-liners (although the dickless line is genius 😀 ). A lot of 70s/80s films did this kind of comedy brilliantly but it seems to have become an extinct art form since the 90s.

Stoner
    Free Member

I can’t remember many remakes I have seen which i thought were better than the original!

maybe an argument for another thread, but I offer up:

The Thomas Crown Affair

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I ain’t afraid of no goat! 😉

PrinceJohn

The fly is another decent remake.

From the reviews I’ve read this is pretty much canon, and not a remake.

Cougar

Interesting thread.

It looked somewhere between “ok” and “dreadful” from the trailers, but pretty much every review I’ve seen has said that it’s pretty good and certainly better than expected (though not as good as the original obviously).

joeydeacon
    Free Member

I’d read that the studio had been deleting all of the negative yet constructive reviews of the trailer, leaving the negative sexist comments instead, thus trying to make all the criticism appear to be solely because of sexist views of the mainly female cast rather than the film actually being rubbish..

bails

I’d read that the studio had been deleting all of the negative yet constructive reviews of the trailer,

If “the studio” can delete anything they want from the internet then why not delete the comment giving their game away?

chubstr
    Free Member

A guy posted his review the other day, and while he said it wasn’t bad, while it tried to portray the lead characters as strong women in charge, it had the opposite effect on the male characters painting them all as either dumb or dicks.

In the original, all the female characters were not just damsels who needed saving, so casting 4 female characters as the ghostbusters is hardly ground breaking. I don’t really understand why the casting of actors and sctresses now has to come with a caveat of “breaking new ground” or having some moral crusade behind it.

I would have preferred a continuation of the franchise with four women taking over rather than re-booting the same story with tired jokes and four sterotypes of women. (The overweight bolshy one, the mousy plain jane, the shouty black woman and the tom-boy geek)

Rockplough
    Free Member

Why? Why on earth does that make it great? Surely the test of whether a film is good is if it’s, err, good – not if it contains females in place of males in all the lead roles?

It’s great that its stars are all women. ? It’s great because its stars are all women.

mahalo

one saving grace is the tom boy geek Spengler one being quite fit!

Rockplough
    Free Member

Kate McKinnon? A funny woman.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfPdYYsEfAE[/video]

fisha
    Free Member

Totally agree with the comment regarding subtle humour being a lost art. I first really noticed it with Indiana Jones and the crystal skull rubbish , far too much focus on effects at the expense of good story telling and acting.

Now big budget film making is all about how to rip the money out of the viewer by rehashing old stories. Films should left to be of their time.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘new Ghostbusters’ is closed to new replies.