• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by fin25.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New Genesis Zero
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Here. Looks bloody good value for the Zero.1. 1300 quid and you get the same frame as the top spec bike. Rest of the components plenty good enough for a training bike. Quite surprised really.

MussEd
    Free Member

The thing I like about Genesis is steel.

Jamie
    Free Member

Which seems to be the theme of most of the comments on road.cc.

chakaping
    Free Member

Saw this on social media, very nice looking bike and surprised at the reasonableness of the pricing.

I wouldn’t begrudge them trying to branch out though, like them a lot as a company.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Blimey it’s not like they are dropping their steel range!

Sounds like they went as far as they could with steel with the Volare and had to go to carbon. Nice to have a choice too.

Jamie, yeah both look well priced, though with the Zero you get the top spec frame at that price. And one is a winter mile muncher and the other a proper race bike :). (Hmm ninja editing there!)

simondbarnes

Saw it at the Genesis launch a few weeks ago, looked very nice. Quite tempted myself.

rOcKeTdOg

Have Genesis bought a job lot from a dealer on Aliexpress? Looks a lot like many of the direct sell frames you can buy for £300 or less

Jamie
    Free Member

(Hmm ninja editing there!)

I realised it was a bit topic hijacky, so removed it.

wilburt
    Free Member

They do look good value ( relatively speaking) I like the 1700 5800 version. Only reservation is the point above by RD but Genesis seem to be preempting this with a lifetime warranty.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

They do look a bit generic it has to be said.

Seems every company and his dog can produce a carbon frame nowadays, but I suppose its no different to when most frames were steel and then aluminium.

Tiagra on a £1300 carbon bike? Is that really good value? What is better, this frame (supposedly the same as the top of the range model) – or a Planet-X/Boardman/Mekk/Other value brand with a better groupo mix on it?? Looks slightly better value further up the range.

Personally, so far as new carbon frames/model years, I’m more interested in the Giant Defy disc models with carbon rims.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well they do claim it’s their design and they own it (their own mould, layup, etc.) And it’ll supposedly be the exact same frame that their pro team are riding. If it’s that good a frame then I reckon 1300 quid is a bit of a steal. I doubt frame only will be much less. And I’d rather have that and a lower spec group and wheels than some value brand frame with shinier bits hanging off it. If I was looking for a bargain race bike then I’d definitely be having a closer look.

mudshark
    Free Member

Reminds me of

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Looks slightly better value further up the range.

Wierdly it (in my mind) does a bit of a u-turn, the better of the 105 bikes looks good value relative to the bigger brands at least (Trek, Spesh, Cannondale), but the ‘team’ and the tiagra models don’t look so hot, especialy as they use alloy finishing kit all the way through by the looks of it. The low end models look poor value, but only because the frame is presumably swallowing 80% of the budget.

£1k frame (guessing at an aftermarket value)
    £1k DA groupset
    £700 Wheelset
    Parts bin finshing kit.
    Where’s the other £2k gone?

ahwiles
    Free Member

as a genesis fanboy*, can i just say this:

meh.

it’s not the carbon; i would be tempted by something a smidge lighter than my equilibrium, it’s just so very un-Genesis.

Massive logos, internal cable routes (ffs), limited tyre clearance, press-fit BB, etc.

all of which adds up to a big pile of ‘no thanks’.

(*i own 3 of them)

servo
    Free Member

No USP at all. 🙁

fin25
    Free Member

As long as they keep making all the lovely steel bikes I couldn’t care less what they do. This is simply a move based on getting their pro team competitive in the bigger races (just as the volare was to the tour series/tour of Britain etc.). If they sell a few carbon bikes to the mamils and weight weenies in the process, good luck to them…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New Genesis Zero’ is closed to new replies.