Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New Garmin Cadence Sensor
  • weeble
    Free Member

The new style cadence sensor that comes with the edge 1000 won’t fit between the crank arm and chainstay on my winter bike. Anyone know if it can be used on the outside of the crank arm (pedal side)

scaredypants

haven’t seen one – might it fit on the side ? (I’d be surprised if it worked as well from the outside)

allthepies
    Free Member

How about on top or bottom of the crank arm ?

simondbarnes

Should be fine I’d have thought? No magnet to worry about so shouldn’t really mater where it sits.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I can’t see any reason why it would work on the outside, apart from your foot smacking into it on every rotation.
    Though you might find a place on the crank where this doesn’t happen.

IanMunro
    Free Member

(I’d be surprised if it worked as well from the outside)

The new one uses accelerometers rather than a magnet and reed switch, so it doesn’t need to be near anything.

weeble
    Free Member

I’m using MTB pedals so think there should be just enough space for my foot to clear the sensor, otherwise I’ll be on the hunt for a GSC 10

njee20
    Free Member

Can you not run it further up the crank arm, on the back? I’d be surprised if you had enough clearance putting it on the outside, irrespective of pedal choice!

ratherbeintobago

If it’s accelerometer-based, shouldn’t it (in theory) work if strapped to your shoe/leg/etc?

I’ve got a GSC-10 that I’m not using, incidentally.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Possibly, it depends on how it’s actually been implemented.
    If it’s looking for an up down acceleration then yes, if it’s looking for a change in polarity of acceleration caused by rotation then no.

weeble
    Free Member

There is just enough space running the sensor on the outside of the crank arm but it’s close and not ideal.

I ratherbeintobago YGM

Dibbs
    Free Member

Mines got about a 2mm gap, but I could get more clearance by moving it up the crank arm.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New Garmin Cadence Sensor’ is closed to new replies.