Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New front tyre for winter riding needed…
  • pies
    Free Member

Hi guys. Impending trip to BPW start of next month, on the verge of needing a new front tyre anyway so gonna stick a winter one on before I go.
    I see Maxxis shorty’s mentioned quite a bit on here, is this is exact one you’d recommend?…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/maxxis-shorty-dh-mtb-tyre-3c-exo-tr/rp-prod133182

davosaurusrex

Shorty is good, Magic Mary is better

kiksy
    Free Member

I prefer the Mary to Shorty. This is mainly because it’s wider though so looks cooler.

Not sure if I could tell the difference in performance though.

qwerty
    Free Member

Vigilante ?

mark90
    Free Member

I prefer the Mary to Shorty. This is mainly because it’s wider though so looks cooler.

Not sure if I could tell the difference in performance though.

2.5 Shorty is about the same size as a 2.35 Mary, give or take a few mm.

Having recently got a Mary to try it seems a better all rounder than the Shorty. Less squirmy / drifty on the firmer ground, but sill bites in the soft. Shorty more out right grip in the soft and clears better, especially the 2.5 with it’s wider block spacing (cf the 2.3 Shorty). Both good tyres for soft natural riding.

Mary – I’ve never had a front tyre with so much grip

Northwind

I prefer the shorty to the Mary- I reckon you need to go up to the softest rubber to get a Mary to perform as well in the really manky nasty stuff. The Mary is better the rest of the time but I’ll take a little extra when it’s needed most, over a little extra when it’s easy.

They are both fantastic though. The Der Baron’s interesting too but really lacks the bite imo, it’s more like the old Baron, an allrounder that can do mud, rather than cheat mode for the golfy

carlphillips
    Free Member

magic mary addix soft in snakeskin flavour, light and amazing grip

beano68
    Free Member

Running Shorty 2.5 WT and its awesome grip but draggy on the ups but I can live with that

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New front tyre for winter riding needed…’ is closed to new replies.