Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New Frame.. trouble fitting a bottom bracket
  • angryratio
    Free Member

I've just got my hands on a mountain cycle fury frame.
    The bb is proving to be a little swine. (ht2)
    Is it likely over-spray into threads is the cause of my problems, only the left non drive cup is also proving impossibly hard to fit and that does not appear to have any paint on.

I've not forced the cup as i don't wish to risk cross threading anything.

Care to shed any light folks with a technical bent. Thanks.

ojom
    Free Member

Hate to bring up the 'obvious' but you are observing the correct thread direction.

Just checking, process of elimination etc.

Have the threads been run through with the tool?

angryratio
    Free Member

direction is not the issue.. i checked i was not being daft by checking against another frame hanging in the garage.

So idiot thread direction ruled out.

No tools have been used.. trip to bike shop required?

ojom
    Free Member

Prolly.

Most new frames need it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Looks like you're about to enter into the whole "is it worth having it chased and faced for a HTII BB?"

angryratio
    Free Member

I aint gonna debate the issue.. appreciate opinion.
    Was slightly worried it might be faulty (sounds silly maybe) CRC are doing them silly cheap so seemed daft not to treat myself. Everything i've owned previous presumably was pre faced/reamed

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sorry, from what you say, yes, pop to the local bike shop and get it chased and faced. My comment above refers to the number of times people on here have discussed whether facing a frame makes a difference to HTII BBs.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Get both sets of threads coated in grease and turn the BB cup slowly in the opposite direction to which it should screw in. When you hit the point where the two threads align, you'll feel the cup move slightly towards you (as the BB threads pitch up on the frame threads)and then suddenly 'drop' in. Change direction when you feel this drop and the cup should screw straight in.

If it still won't play nicely and you're not confident giving that bit extra on the wrench, take it to a shop and get the threads chased. At least you'll know for sure then that you're working with a clean interface.

daveh
    Free Member

Clear the threads as best as you can with something sharp then thread up (following the advise above) as you would when tapping a thread i.e. 1/2 turn in, 1/4 turn back to clear, repeat x many. If the resistance gets too much then quit and pay for the face and chase!

igm

Get the cup that you can get in, and use the crank spindle through both it and the cup that's sticky to keep the sticky cup square as you try to screw it in – worked for me. And all the other stuff that people said.

angryratio
    Free Member

Cheers for the tips all..
    all bases have been covered..
    all that remains is a trip to my friendly local bike emporium on my next day off i may feel compelled to post a snap or two of the finished article.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New Frame.. trouble fitting a bottom bracket’ is closed to new replies.