Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New frame dithering. Opinions sought
  • aa
    Free Member

I have a hankering for a new frame. Either a ritchey Swiss cross or road logic.

Currently I’ve got two hard tails and a road bike. The road bike gets used pretty much solidly from march to October, hard tail no.2 (singlespeed) get used all winter and it’s my evening play bike if I ever get chance to go out. Ht no. 1 is a mid nineties legend/relic and has only been ridden a handful of times in the last 2 years.

Here’s my dithering…

The new frame/bike will be my workhorse bike used for all year commuting, the occasional fast ride, Sunday best, on road, light off road. Everything.

The road logic takes big tyres and will cope with tow path/smooth double track etc but I assume will flounder down the woods. The Swiss cross, well, is it likely to be ok at all things but good at none? I can’t see any opportunity for a test ride so I’ll be buying on intuition.

What way do I go, or do I stick with what I’ve got?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Swiss Cross.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Neither are good value but you know that, nor would I use either if your roads are salted, but that’s up to you! (I used to have a Logic, lovely bike, but no better than any other good steel frame)

Depends how big you want the tyres to go and how good you need the brakes to be I guess. With the same wheels/tyres the cross will be just as fast as the Logic.

aa
    Free Member

Al, I’m not paying rrp, but, even if I were, we all make choices sometimes with the heart first, the head second and the pocket third. I’d been considering a cielo but poo pood that on cost vs benefit grounds.

Good call on the salted roads, the Swiss cross will be able to fit bigger tyres with guards in winter.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s a lovely thing, I certainly enjoyed mine.

aa
    Free Member

Why did you sell it as a matter of interest.

One of the reasons I’m hesitating is that I love my de rosa, but, it’s not a practical year round bike.

And it’s too pretty to batter through winter.

mistergrizzly
    Free Member

Have to say I’m in love with Ritchey frames….

But

Bearing in mind your needs, have you thought about a Kinesis Tripster ATR? Framesets or bikes available (cheaply too from Freeborn) and a brilliant thread on here started up by somafunk 🙂 also a good video review!

Anyway, each to their own of course, and I deeply understand the Ritchey caché, just an opinion related to your post title, but yours is the one that matters 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

I just wanted something lighter, as it was my “good” road bike, I don’t regret it, though I do miss it a bit, my current bike isn’t as cool.

aa
    Free Member

Mistergrizzly,

I know where you’re coming from, but, the kinesis does nothing for me mentally. (Even though, in my road racing days a pinarello was my ‘main’ bike and my kinesis was my trainer – and a better frame……)

I need steel, want it to be racey with capability for 28c’s. Needs to be mainstream cuz I’m calling in a favour to get a good deal through my lbs.

I have seen that brick lane bikes have got an old pegoretti in my size, but, I want modern, but not disc.

Decisions decisions

Candodavid
    Free Member

I don’t ride my Swiss Cross very often, I would never part with it though.
    Rides fantastic and looks damn good hung on the wall in the garage too, I couldn’t afford to replace now too as the frame was an eBay bargain

mistergrizzly
    Free Member

@aa

perfectly understandable buddy…

if it doesn’t stir your heart…

it’ll never stir your soul.

I had a Scott RC20 years ago that was like that, a technically sound bike for what I needed at the time (carbon st xc race type), but it just wasn’t me, I didn’t ‘feel’ it, and a new owner soon reaped the benefits of a much cheaper nearly new one!

So yes, stick with it, and get that Ritchey 🙂

benji
    Free Member

If it was my pennies it would be the swiss cross without a second thought, it’s a do everything. There isn’t much between a road bike and a cross bike when fitted with the same tyres.

ohrats
    Free Member

The Swiss Cross is what I’d go for, looks pretty versatile.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New frame dithering. Opinions sought’ is closed to new replies.