Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • new fox vanilla r fork……air or coil????
  • ton

anyone know the answer please
    are they air or coil.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Vans have always been coils….

ton

pp, any good for a bifter mate 8)

momo

Vanilla denotes coil sprung.

Floats and TALAS are air sprung.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ton, my Vanilla Rs are spot on for me, with the standard spring. (15stone) but I do like mine to move, if you know what I mean

They seem like very good forks to me. Not much to faff with (No lockout for instance) but I don’t miss that much. Stiff enough, fairly light, well made.

I think the springs themselves are cheaper than £35 RS ones so getting the right one will be cheaper…

After using both RS and Fox coil forks I’d say there was virtually nothing in it regarding performance, but the Vans have preload adjustment, and I was sort of ‘between springs’ with RS Recons and they have no preload to tune that out. That’s the only real difference

mboy
    Free Member

Depends how heavy you are, but most “Xtra Firm” springs are for people around the 16-17 stone mark iirc. If you’re over this, you’ll need an air sprung fork most likely just to make sure they don’t bottom out all the time!

Would reccomend Marzocchi’s with a coil spring and air assist for super heavy people normally as in my experience, they’re the best forks for dealing with BIG guys (my mate Mike is over 18 stone and would’ve killed any other forks otherwise, he’s got AM2’s on one bike and 66’s on the other).

Oh and yeah, Vanilla’s have always been coil.

snotrag

Best bang per buck is the boggo Float R IMO. The talas are not worth it unless you reeealy need travel adjustment ( personally I don’t think many people do) and the RC2s are more money for something most people again hardly touch. And the floats are now 99% as sensitive as the coils.

Float R is the winner is 32 and 36mm flavours if you ask me.

snotrag

n.b – rc2 is the 36’s, rlc is the 32’s.

juan
    Free Member

vanilla
    I have both float and vanilla and I just hate the float

Onzadog
    Free Member

I like the float and the vanilla. I agree with above comments that the standard R is all you need on either. I don’t know if they still do, but it used to be that if you bought aftermarket forks, they came with either spare springs or shock pump depending on what you buy. I normally prefer coil forks but the floats have the most supple movement I’ve ever had from an air fork.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘new fox vanilla r fork……air or coil????’ is closed to new replies.