Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • New forks – no oil
  • Flaperon

Bought a Norco Sight 2 SE a little under two months ago and have just completed the 30 hour service as recommended by Fox.

Somewhat surprised to discover that the damper-side leg contained no oil whatsoever, apart from a few drops of blue Float fluid that I use to lubricate the stanchions. I also found one of the circular seal springs rattling around in the bottom of the leg.

I’ve found no oil on the floor (or on the stanchion when riding) and am beginning to suspect the leg had little or no oil in it to start with.

Where do I stand with a warranty claim on this? Presumably the shop (who are going to call back) will want to send the fork off to Mojo for inspection but having had Fox stuff in the past that’s suffered terribly with lack of oil I’m not convinced that no damage has been done. even if it visibly appears OK.

Would you push for a replacement fork, or a written warranty from the shop agreeing to cover failure of the fork due to worn stanchions for, say, two years?

Cheers,

Dave.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

A quick web search suggests it’s a FIT fork, so the oil in the leg is just for lube- the damping oil is sealed in the cartridge. I’d say providing the stanchions aren’t scored now it should be alright. Possibly you could get them to change the wiper seals FOC incase they’ve been damaged by having no oil in the leg.

jairaj

I would request the shop to send them off to Mojo for inspection to check everything is OK.

If Mojo find no faults then it is fine and no damage has been done yet and nothing to worry about. If Mojo find anything wrong and if an argument could be made that the damage was caused by lack of lubricating oil then I’d expect for the fork to be fixed free of charge.

Flaperon

Cheers for the advice. Had a pretty thorough look at the stanchions and no sign of wear. Mojo advised that they’d be happy to inspect if required, but said that provided the service intervals are maintained they’d cover any stanchion wear during the warranty period. Forks rebuilt with oil.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘New forks – no oil’ is closed to new replies.